Author Topic: Himalayan BS6 and switchable ABS  (Read 3534 times)

Toni59

• Bulleteer
on: August 22, 2020, 08:26:56 am
As I have mentioned previously  in an other post, I am from Germany and have ordered a BS6 in July.
 Due to Corona my Dealer was not able so far to give me any delivery date.

But since he is a nice guy I call him every two weeks, ask for any news and talk a little bit about the Himalayan.

Yesterday we spoke about the ABS. In some places it is reported, that it is switchable from the 2020 models on.

What I didn’t know so far, is why the 2020 models for Germany (Europe?)  don‘t have that switch, means ABS is always on.

Reason: The switch provided by RE is a simple on/off switch.
In Germany (may be even Europe if it is a harmonized directive?) there is a directive, that all new motorcycles must have an intelligent solution like this:
When driver switches off the ABS, the ABS must be activated automatically again by default after the next power on of the motorcycle. And the simple ON/OFF switch doesn‘t provide this function of cause. This is the reason, why RE sells only bikes without that switch to German (within the EU?).

Well, it is not so important for me but might be for others...

Regards
Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 01:23:56 pm
For what it's worth, the Australian bikes are not switchable. Mind you, we're a funny little market, indeed, we were still getting the carby models well after other markets weren't (and wasn't I grateful because that was my choice)

I agree, being able to turn the thing on and off would be good, though it adds another electronic thing to go wrong - yeah, I'm old school, the fewer whizz bangs the better, which is why I chose carby and non-ABS, but that's just me.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 01:44:48 pm
An Indian video which I saw a while back, demonstrated the on / off differences of the ABS.
The switch was a push button on the dash and it was as you say the European specs stipulate, if you switch it off, the next time you switch the ign on, the ABS is switched on again.
The switch only affects the rear wheel, even when the ABS is switched off, the ABS still works on the front wheel.

Frank

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 02:04:13 pm
An Indian video which I saw a while back, demonstrated the on / off differences of the ABS.
The switch was a push button on the dash and it was as you say the European specs stipulate, if you switch it off, the next time you switch the ign on, the ABS is switched on again.
The switch only affects the rear wheel, even when the ABS is switched off, the ABS still works on the front wheel.

Frank
Although I'm not an ABS fanboy, I reckon that's a pretty good option. You're only going to fussed about the rear ABS off road and it's not unreasonable to select a switch to turn it off. Front ABS is never going to kill or slow you down.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 02:48:04 pm
@Boxerman:

Thanks for that hint - indeed, the ABS switch behavier is exactly like it is requested.

The video has the title „How to turn of ABS in Himalayan BS6?“

I am curious, what my dealer says about this...

Regards

Toni

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:29:36 am
Hi,

What I remembered, and what amazes me, is that the demo bike I rode in July 2020 did not have the ABS switch. And it must have been a 2020 model, because it was red, and there was no such color in 2019.

So there must be 2020 versions with ABS that can’t be turned off...

It remains exciting.

Regards

Toni

ChristofR

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 06:46:53 pm
Hi,

What I remembered, and what amazes me, is that the demo bike I rode in July 2020 did not have the ABS switch. And it must have been a 2020 model, because it was red, and there was no such color in 2019.

So there must be 2020 versions with ABS that can’t be turned off...

It remains exciting.

Regards

Toni

I ordered a Himalayan a couple of weeks ago (live in Belgium). The BS6 model with switchable ABS and catalyst is not coming to all countries, according to the dealer. The BS6 is mainly for India and some other countries (certainly the UK, and apparently Germany as well). AFAIK, Belgium, The Netherlands and France won't get that model, nor will all new colour schemes be available (the new Blue/White for example, is not available in Belgium with the 2020 models).

It is strange, indeed, one wonders why Royal Enfield would not just release the same bikes around the world...

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 07:19:22 pm
@ CristofR
Thanks for that information.

So what is the setup in Belgium?

I thought Europe is harmonized :-(

What is the proposed delivery time for yours?

Toni

ChristofR

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 09:05:42 pm
@ CristofR
Thanks for that information.

So what is the setup in Belgium?

I thought Europe is harmonized :-(

What is the proposed delivery time for yours?

Toni

Don't know if there are differences between the previous BS4 and the 'new' 2020 BS4 in Belgium (for all I know, there's no BS6 in Belgium).
The one I have ordered (mid July), should arrive next week. It's a Snow one, by the way. I would have gone for Lake Blue (would have matched my Continental GT 650 Ice Queen) but as I've said, not coming to Belgium.
As far as I know, the 2020 models in Belgium are Euro 4, not Euro 5. Also, no hazard lights on the 2020 models over here.
The new models supposedly have better brakes, and an improved side stand, don't know whether that's going to be the case.

Apparently, it seems that I'll be getting the BS4, for all intents and purposes. I'll only be sure when it arrives.
It's a puzzling thing and for a moment, I was even thinking that the dealer was going to rip me off, until I started googling...

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 06:52:15 am
It's funny how RE works sometimes, I bought a carby model at the beginning of the year and had my choice of colours. I could have bought the efi with ABS too if I wanted it, both were in stock and more coming.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 07:11:50 pm
@CristofR:

Lucky you :-)
Let me know, how your REH is equipped.

@Oldparth:
It is amazing how different supply is, and how different the models for different countries are...
My Dealer got a white REH last week, without having ordered one. But I don’t want a white one.

So I will wait and hope...

Toni

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 12:18:08 am
Well it is definitely being announced as a standard feature of the 2021 model.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2021-royal-enfield-himalayan-first-look/

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 12:52:24 am
Hello GlennF,
Thx for the interesting link!

But:

It remains unclear:
The German homepage of RE says nothing about the switchable ABS.

I have seen a new 2020 model in red, which definitely had no ABS switch in the dashboard console.
In the article you linked to, they suddenly talk about the new colors red, gravel gray and blue with switchable ABS for the 2021 (!) model.

But these colors are already currently being delivered in the 2020 model (in Germany obviously beside my ordered gravel gray model :-( ). The pictures in the article show the new colors, but the catalytic converter, which is already typical for the 2020 BS6 model is definitely missing in the vertical part of the exhaust pipe.

It looks to me like they are having delivery problems and are nailing everything together that they have or don't have. 

And this is exactly what the published pictures look like. :(

What I will eventually get, I will only see when I have it. This was also the frustrated statement of my dealer.

Regards

Toni

Ps. Isn‘t it funny: They cannot deliver the 2020 models right now and are talking about a 2021 model?

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 03:50:04 am
I'm coming to the conclusion that RE work in an evolutionary manner rather than releasing 'new models' like the Japs do. This results in overlaps in features within the same model number (here in Oz, you could get ABS and efi with the same model stamped on the frame as my carby, non ABS bike). I'm guessing that this probably isn't much of a problem, though we do seem to be better served with options here in Australia (maybe we're a dumping ground) but I can understand the frustration of those who bought ABS, wanting it to be switchable, only to have it appear on the next 'model'.

How long before Hitchocks or similar produces and after-market switchable ABS? That might be cheaper than buying a new bike (I'm a little surprised it's not out there now)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 05:17:03 am

Very positively expressed  ;D:

I'm coming to the conclusion that RE work in an evolutionary manner rather than releasing 'new models' like the Japs do.

In India they obviously have both already, BS6 Level and switchable ABS.

Regards
Toni

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 04:55:25 pm

How long before Hitchocks or similar produces and after-market switchable ABS? That might be cheaper than buying a new bike (I'm a little surprised it's not out there now)
Thanks to Noraly's latest adventures I started looking at CB500x. The British company Rally Raid sells a switch to disable the ABS. I wonder if that could be adapted? Or even better, find the RE part numbers for those countries that sell bikes with the switch.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 05:09:21 pm
At the moment I'm still hoping that my Himalayan may already have the switch - since it will (perhaps) only be delivered at the end of October.

Yes, the Honda 500X is a nice bike.

But for me the Himalayan is probably the right choice for a second motorcycle.
If I want more bike, I still have my BMW R1100RS  ;D

Regards
Toni

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: November 07, 2020, 05:13:48 am
To finalize this topic:

My REH was finally delivered beginning of November in Germany in gravel grey.

Still without switchable ABS...  :(

I am nevertheless happy with it  :)

Regards
Toni

Ruuntje

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2020, 10:01:44 pm
Don't know if there are differences between the previous BS4 and the 'new' 2020 BS4 in Belgium (for all I know, there's no BS6 in Belgium).
The one I have ordered (mid July), should arrive next week. It's a Snow one, by the way. I would have gone for Lake Blue (would have matched my Continental GT 650 Ice Queen) but as I've said, not coming to Belgium.
As far as I know, the 2020 models in Belgium are Euro 4, not Euro 5. Also, no hazard lights on the 2020 models over here.
The new models supposedly have better brakes, and an improved side stand, don't know whether that's going to be the case.

Apparently, it seems that I'll be getting the BS4, for all intents and purposes. I'll only be sure when it arrives.
It's a puzzling thing and for a moment, I was even thinking that the dealer was going to rip me off, until I started googling...

This is the same I got told here in NL. Euro4/2020. No hazard lights, no switchable ABS. Having read reviews of the BS6, seen videos online, etc, I contacted the dealer and asked, being a little worried I'd buy the 'old' '19 version as a new '20. The side stand is still very upright and doesn't really inspire confidence, I must admit.
I'm still not 100% sure, but it's registered as a 2020 now, so whatever...
What I notice is I am having so much fun driving around that side stand, hazard lights, switchable this and switchable that doesn't worry me the slightest. So. Much. Fun! :D

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 05:34:15 am
@ Ruuntje:
You are right, as long as we enjoy it, everything is ok  ;D

But Royal Enfield´s model politics is kind of wierd:

In the German Handbook they explain decoding model / type number on page 33, see picture 1.

According to this, and if Indian alphabet is counted the same way we do, my Himalayan is a 2021 model, since it has the "build year" letter "L", see picture 2.
and: G=2016, H=2017, I=2018, J=2019, K=2020, L=2021,...

Or they have skipped the I and/or the J in order they do not want to mix up anything, than mine is a 2020 or a 2019 model  :-[

I don´t know...

The only thing I know for sure is that mine is "gravel grey", and this colour was not available before 2020...

Regards

Toni

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 02:00:21 pm
I have pretty much given up trying to understand how Royal Enfield markets their motorcycle models that are shipped to their overseas customers.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1