Author Topic: Goodbye Himalyan 410?  (Read 6274 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 06:53:16 am
In Snydal's excellent Bullet manual under Performance Upgrades he mentions that the Fury with much more power ran the standard Bullet bushing big end but wasn't considered famously unreliable. I think that in the same vein the Himalayan big bore kit would be fine if driven sensibly. As for the proposed 850 kit for the Interceptor, a near 30% displacement change looks like a wait and see proposition. The well balanced 650 Interceptor already makes near 50 BHP. I believe if I wanted an asphalt shredder there are plenty of reasonably priced used ZX12's, Hayabusas, etc. with pucker marks on their seats available. Speeds over the ton are best reserved for controlled venues, like the race track. The street is way too random for 170 MPH escapades.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 05:05:18 pm
In Snydal's excellent Bullet manual under Performance Upgrades he mentions that the Fury with much more power ran the standard Bullet bushing big end but wasn't considered famously unreliable.

For street use, maybe not, but the issue was with the strength of the con-rod, particularly out on the track. I gather the more successful RE Fury-mounted race teams had their bikes fitted with steel con-rods before very long, after which they were fit to take on the Gold Stars.

Provided the bangs aren't too big and the pistons no heavier than stock, I don't see the Himalayan 462 kit causing too much grief, at least not in the hands of a mechanically sympathetic rider. If nothing else it will be a good test of current big-end pin quality (assuming the Himalayan uses a pressed-up crank!).

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 02:37:16 am
OOH! A 650 twin Himalayan? That's the Photoshop model, right? I'm spending all my Bitcoins on one as well as a truckload of Vaporware upgrades! I can't wait! I read that it will be released in January, 2121. Im really looking forward to its 2 wheel drive, automatic transmission and 60" of suspension travel!