Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bullet with the UCE engine / Re: Classic 500 Vs intercpetor 650
« Last post by Narada on Today at 10:04:45 am »
Mopar or No Car! 8)
Bullet with the UCE engine / Re: Unusal experience today
« Last post by Narada on Today at 09:58:44 am »
Even if the ground looks fine, the copper is known to shear inside the insulation and give an intermittent ground problem.  The best thing is to replace it with a typically good terminal and maybe some shrink tubing to keep it from vibrating at the end of wire and breaking the copper again.  This could be the #1 problem with Royal Enfields  :o.  Luckily it's easy to fix... could be worse!
Bullet with the UCE engine / Re: Royal Enfield product reviews
« Last post by Bmadd34 on Today at 08:54:34 am »
To find a product in this category, for this price and for this kind of quality?? It can't be real.... Oh, but it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPkhe9RunVY
Bullet with the UCE engine / Re: Unusal experience today
« Last post by cwmoss on Today at 08:16:38 am »
The other thing that "might" do something like that is ethanol fuel that has sat in the tank for a few months if the bike was in storage.
The dealer had to uncrate it when I bought it, so I am not sure how much fuel they are shipped with. It was full when I bought it, but I have added about a gallon of ethanol free gas to it since I took delivery. Ethanol free is all I want to run it on.
I will go back and check the ground from the battery.
Thanks for the replies.
650 Twin - Interceptor/GT / Re: Service manual
« Last post by Karman on Today at 07:22:43 am »
I assume the dealers have been issued with manuals to assist in servicing, that's what I'm hoping to get hold of. I'd like to know what's inside, and how to maintain it. The three year warranty may mean dealer servicing for the foreseeable, but I'd still like the information.
But Enfields seem to use about every size under the sun, including a few leftover Whitworth in some choice spots... not to mention the special tools for pulling the clutch, etc.

-Eric

I found that on my '08 Classic also. All three sizes were found and a few that no socket, box or open end seemed to fit perfectly. It's all just part of the Royal Enfield game :) :)

You mentioned the dipstick elsewhere: I rub chalk into the cross-hatching on the dipstick. Makes it very easy to read. (Chalk for blackboards. Remember blackboards ???[/img] ).

The AVL engines will blow out any excess oil. They have a hissy-fit if over-filled  :) ;)
Factory tool kit is missing and probably wasn't adequate anyway...

So any travelers/tourers who can advise re: the "essential" tool kit for an Electra (Machismo)?  Like to travel light but then again heading to very remote places several hundred km's from home potentially.

My old Kawasaki (KH125 smoker) could be stripped bare and engine completely opened with a shockingly small set; substantial fastener standardization meant mainly 10/12/14mm and one or two 8, 17, 19 (if pulling the flywheel).  And the sparkplug of course.  Wheel removal / chain adj. were managed with the incredible Knipex Cobra pliers (okay, sue me!).  So four or five combi wrenches and as many 3/8"-drive sockets with a little folding ratchet, and a screwdriver w/bit set (which fit inside the handle!), and I was good to go.   

But Enfields seem to use about every size under the sun, including a few leftover Whitworth in some choice spots... not to mention the special tools for pulling the clutch, etc.

It's obviously not going to be feasible roadside to split cases or dig too far into the gearbox, and I'm pretty in-tune with wear items like clutch, so assuming I'm not going too deep, what all is useful for basic adjustments / cable changes / tightening loosened stuff, etc?  I suppose I'd carry a spare stator / coil with me, though they're not supposed to be that failure-prone.  Can manage the carb easily enough.  Any realistic way to put together a compact kit for longer (500+km) tours on rough tracks?  As per previous post, it's all gotta fit in a side-box. 

Thus far figuring:

1) (the usual) Knipex, Leatherman Wave and Victorinox mini-Champ trio (with which I have managed an astonishing amount of work in a pinch);

2) the sparkplug tool (obviously); 

3) A few Allen(hex) keys - for the clutch housing / clutch cable-end cap, the stator, and (big one) for the steering head adjustment. 

4) Test-light / mini-meter will be there.

5) I've got my tube-patches, a little sparkplug-port adapter tyre inflator, and pair of shorty tyre-irons. 

6) Could get the special bit-set for the Wave or else an adapter so it'll take standard 1/4" screwdriver bits and 1/4' drive sockets, or else stick with the usual 3/8-drive.

7) I suppose something for the valve adjustments would be useful.

Trying to avoid drawing from my regular set, these will stay with the bike full-time, harder each time to forget things that way.   

So what am I missing (and what typically vibrates loose on these bikes)?  It's the bigger sizes that are heavy/space-consuming, of course, so looking for creative/efficient solutions for those (wherever the Knipex won't work!). 

The tour-company guy I bought it from always had a support vehicle along so compactness of kit wasn't an issue.  And most other Indians just take off without a care in the world, can't change a fuse much less a tyre or anything mechanical, they load the bikes in a truck and send it onwards/back to the nearest mechanic if anything "unexpected" happens. 

-Eric
Bullet Electra & AVL Models / Re: Another AVL wakeup
« Last post by Adrian II on Today at 05:06:41 am »
My understanding of the right thing...  ;D

Dell'Orto PHF36 pumper carb (the head needs surprisingly little porting work on the inlet side), the Malossi 02-0555 carb rubber bolts right on, just add stainless steel clip and motorcycle.

A.
Bullet Electra & AVL Models / Re: Another AVL wakeup
« Last post by ringoism on Today at 04:41:59 am »
Incidentally, the intake manifold has an inlet port which the service manual said is for the PAV. It appears to be covered with electrician's tape(photo), I will need a better plug to prevent vacuum leaks.

The "right" thing would be a vacuum-cap (looks like a little nipple), they used to be available at auto-parts stores in all sizes.  Look good and don't leak / fall off. 
Got a short test ride in today, very impressed  so far , seems to still have good torque throughout the range even though its running the bigger diameter header pipe . Hitting the rev limiter in 4th with ease . Haven't had a chance to open it out in top gear yet but it feels like it wants to get up and go.  Fueling feels good everywhere except idle ,might need a little playing around there. Around town it still rides like a stock bike which is good . See supplied maps below, I was surprised to see so much fuel removed at the 100% throttle positions but it seems to really work well. Will be going on Dyno soon but the nearest dyno is a few hours from home.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10