Author Topic: O2 sensor covering on 650 twin  (Read 5668 times)

ATXConti650

• Piltdowne Mann - Old Fart - New Bike
  • Bulleteer
on: December 17, 2019, 11:50:21 pm
I posted question to the 535 board on account of not paying attention to details. Anyhow ... both O2 sensors have had the outer covering break all the way around exposing the wires. Service department of the local and only dealer here didn't have much to offer by way of information or suggestion other than "put electrical tape around it." Is this a critical issue? Does RE North America weigh in on these topics if the dealer is reluctant to consider it a warranty issue. Bike had 12 miles on it when I bought it and now has 640. Love it. Similar ergonomics as the '82 BMW r65ls I used to have. Thanks for any suggestion or info available.
2019 Continental GT 650 Black Magic, 1979 Kreidler M19, 1953 Kreidler K50, 2013 Suzuki Savage 650 Single Cylinder Thumper

chunkybutt

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 10:55:07 am
I have the same issue on my interceptor. Right where the cables join the O2 sensor, the cable wrap is exposing the wires themselves.

Since it is a brand new bike i assumed it wasn't an issue but keen to hear from others...

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 12:45:17 pm
Both sensors showed the same gap on my bike when delivered. The three other 650 Twins on the showroom floor exhibited the same exposed wires on every sensor (2 Interceptors and one GT 650). Yet another two bikes (one GT 650 and an Interceptor) that were on the lot waiting for service had the exact same condition. So for what my anecdotal evidence of observing five other similar bikes is worth, I'd say RE either has a weird QC issue or it was designed that way, although I can't imagine why it would be.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:46:09 pm by hadujorganic »
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 03:06:11 pm
there is  a product called "liquid electrical tape"  it is sort of a vinyl liquid that dries semi flexible.  You just "paint" it on, let it dry.

Another possibility is a product called "fusion tape"...it is a sort of rubbery silicone thick tape material...but once you overlap it, it fuses together...it does not unravel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of2mnrmmzwk

Both of the above are at NAPA auto stores.

I'm not sure how hot the o2 sensor gets...so above products may not be up to it....but then neither would electrical tape.

Cookie

Both sensors showed the same gap on my bike when delivered. The three other 650 Twins on the showroom floor exhibited the same exposed wires on every sensor (2 Interceptors and one GT 650). Yet another two bikes (one GT 650 and an Interceptor) that were on the lot waiting for service had the exact same condition. So for what my anecdotal evidence of observing five other similar bikes is worth, I'd say RE either has a weird QC issue or it was designed that way, although I can't imagine why it would be.

ATXConti650

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 03:30:00 pm
Thanks ever body. This feedback is helpful in that it appears to be poor material selection, installation or both. I was planning to get a temp reading after next ride just for info collection. Thought of the liquid tape as I've used it in the past. Also thinking of high temp RTV. Will share any choice and results as appropriate.
2019 Continental GT 650 Black Magic, 1979 Kreidler M19, 1953 Kreidler K50, 2013 Suzuki Savage 650 Single Cylinder Thumper

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 08:57:57 pm
RTV =  messy?

Fusion tape is silicone...can take pretty high heat

Cookie

Thanks ever body. This feedback is helpful in that it appears to be poor material selection, installation or both. I was planning to get a temp reading after next ride just for info collection. Thought of the liquid tape as I've used it in the past. Also thinking of high temp RTV. Will share any choice and results as appropriate.

ATXConti650

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 09:46:06 pm
Ended up getting fusion tape. Wrapped a wee-ish sort of strip around one of the sensors and idled motor for 10-15 minutes. Used a non contact temp thing with laser for aiming and stuck it pretty close hoping for reasonably accurate reading of the sensor. Interesting result. Exhaust pipe and flanged nut gizmo were significantly cooler than the 500 degrees F of the sensor when I shut down motor. The taped area of the sensor was 100F cooler. Don't really consider that a clinically accurate temperature reading. After everything cooled off I gave the tape a poke and it was soft and flexible still. Be interesting to see how things stand after a ride or four.

ATXConti650

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 09:51:24 pm
Before and after taping. Next time I'll remove the tank and do a better job of it.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 11:37:25 pm
there is  a product called "liquid electrical tape"  it is sort of a vinyl liquid that dries semi flexible.  You just "paint" it on, let it dry.

Another possibility is a product called "fusion tape"...it is a sort of rubbery silicone thick tape material...but once you overlap it, it fuses together...it does not unravel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of2mnrmmzwk

Both of the above are at NAPA auto stores.

I'm not sure how hot the o2 sensor gets...so above products may not be up to it....but then neither would electrical tape.

Cookie

I tried that "liquid tape". I'm not a fan. It was more like thick paint that never dries. I don't know how heat would treat it but Ive had good luck with Plastidip.

AndyinNZ

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 07:36:17 am
I believe that the wires are supposed to be exposed and not taped as (apparently) the sensor has a small vent hole that needs to be free, thus the wires not being sealed.
250 Crusader Sports
700 Constellation
HD Springer Softail
MK3 Interceptor

Returned to New BMW

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 07:50:07 am
I checked my sensor leads yesterday as my new bike had the Tec 2in1 exhaust fitted so my sensors where removed and re fitted by the dealer. I noticed one was showing the wires and on inspection of the side that was covered the wires have a rubber boot which can be carefully pulled over the top of the sensor there actually is a small lip which the rubber boot fits over.

Returned to New BMW

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 08:43:52 am
I have attached a photo (not good) of the sensor cable boot it is stretches and can be pushed over the top of the sensor.

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 02:48:52 pm
I believe that the wires are supposed to be exposed and not taped as (apparently) the sensor has a small vent hole that needs to be free, thus the wires not being sealed.

Has anyone confirmed this? Two diametrically opposed positions here (covered is good; covered is not good). I noticed my wires exposed the other day but ignored. Probably still will ignore but have silicone tape on order in case the consensus is to cover these exposed wires (which seems natural given all the other "cover exposed wires" advice on pretty much everything).

Will also look to see if the boot stretches to cover the wires.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Returned to New BMW

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 03:01:53 pm
Just had look at my BMW sensor same type rubber boot pushed well down on the sensor.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 03:26:07 pm
Question:
Have these wires been failing from exposure?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R