Author Topic: AVL CV Carburetor Float Height  (Read 816 times)

Badger1963

• Scooter
on: December 20, 2023, 03:40:34 pm
Hi Gents
I am in the process of setting up the CV carburetor on my 2006 Electra X. I want to check the float height,
upon going to the manual it only seems to give a fuel level height for fuel in the bowl, am I missing something?
Does anybody out there have a dimension for the bottom of the float the flange?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers Steve

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 12:52:48 pm
If you're talking about the UCAL BS32, I wasn't able to find the correct figure after much searching. Quoted figures I found elsewhere were clearly for a carb with a different float bowl or something.
In the end I just left the float height as set, with the mould line on the float parallel to the carb flange.
I have a couple of new UCAL carbs for sale if anyone is interested. Cheap!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 09:29:21 pm
The original carb on the Electra-X was a BS29, the 32 was fitted to some Indian home market UCE 500s. Meanwhile, from the Electra-X workshop manual:

The float height can be measured with the float bowl removed and the carburetor inverted with the float tongue just touching the needle valve. The float should be only resting and not compressing the spring loaded float valve needle. The distance "A" should be equal to the specified float level (17.1mm quoted elsewhere) depending on the carburetor type. This height can be adjusted by bending the float tongue. If the float height is more than the specification, bend the tongue away from the needle valve. If less than specification, bend it towards the needle valve. It should always be remembered that a high float level results in a low fuel level and a low float level results in a high fuel level.

Any help?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Badger1963

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 02:52:28 pm
Many thanks for the input gents, you have given me a datum to work from.
Rgds
Steve