Author Topic: '06 Bullet Bobber (custom) - stalling while riding  (Read 2944 times)

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 07:01:09 pm
I can definitely give a 'thumbs up' for ultrasonic cleaning!
My Amal looked immaculate but I couldn't get a stable tickover. A 10 litre cleaner cost £150 and sorted the carb out.
My cutlery also looks brand new  ;D
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

MikeBE

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2020, 12:18:24 pm
Thanks, I ordered a tap like that, two copper washers and a 90° brass fitting on amazon (for a wopping 17£, 3x the price from ebay but it is in stock and should be here by friday). Will probably try to clean the carb during weekend. I know it is not hard, but it is fiddly work and I'm not the most patient man.  ;D

I have cleaned the carb, but it still does the same thing. I'm trying to find somebody locally with a ultrasonic cleaner to clean it better. I've also received the tap, unfortunately the 90° fitting I found was the wrong diameter (order too fast). However, I've not been able to find one online in stock in europe. Anybody have any tips?

90° - 1/4"G to +/- 6mm hose fitting in brass

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 08:03:44 am
Here we go again...

I posted a long thread on the Hitchcock’s forum about the same problem my 350, which almost drove me to distraction. The Mikcarb 24 had a manufacturing fault. The end of the thread where the float needle seat screwed in was very rough. A piece of metal was sticking out and partly blocking the fuel inlet. I’d cleaned the carb very thoroughly in my ultrasound cleaner and blown it through with high pressure air but it made no difference. I eventually poked something up inside the aperture from the float chamber side and out came a small piece of metal swarf. I felt it “give” and out it came. It cured the fault immediately. By then I’d ordered a new 26mm concentric carb so when it arrived in the post I fitted that instead and so far it’s proved faultless. The performance of the bike is better because of the bigger size.
Paul W.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 03:22:12 pm
Glad to hear you got it sorted, Paul!
As a bonus you now have a spare carb if needed.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 09:18:52 pm
Heloego, thanks. I doubt I’ll ever refit the Mikcarb although it now works well and I’d modified it to suit the less restrictive air filter and exhaust I’d fitted.

Btw, I’m rather intrigued by your username, especially in view of your stated location. I did a short exchange visit to Kirkland Base in early 1992 and was lucky enough to be allowed to fly the 212, the Pave Low and the the Pave Hawk. A memorable time for which I’m eternally grateful.  8)
Paul W.