Author Topic: Windscreen noise  (Read 5237 times)

Jimgooding

• Scooter
on: June 03, 2018, 08:15:57 pm
Hello everybody
Is anyone suffering from severe rattling of the fly screen? Ive tried tightening and loosening the screws but under hard acceleration there is a nasty noise. Is there a fix using a fibre washer? Please help.
On another note when trying to place my hand on the screen to stop it rattling i noticed another mounting hole for raising the screen to a more acute angle. I have raised the screen;i was getting buffeting on the peak of my open face helmet, which now seems to be better. I hope im not stressing the screen by raising it forward, or up .

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:59:15 pm
I have the same issue but mine is on the lower level. :-(
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

oldernotwiser

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 03:07:28 pm
Hi All, I got mine a few weeks ago and have the same issue. It's more of a buzz that occurs at certain rpm ranges. I think I've tracked it down to the headlight bucket. The bucket is plastic and seems to vibrate a bit against the headlight assembly. There's also a a disconnect in the bucket for the running light which may be rattling around. I thought I had it fixed but it's back. Going to have at it again once I get it back from it's first service. BTW, I'm really loving the bike for all the same reasons you all have mentioned. Only got about 500 miles on it so far but no issues at all (except the buzz).

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:41:03 pm
My Kawasaki Versys has a buzz/rattle like that and it took forever to track down and get rid of. Nice think about the Himalayan is there just not all that much plastic to deal with.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

voodoochild

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:15:25 pm
There should be rubber washers to absorb vibrations where the windscreen bolts down to the headlight bracket. I'd check to make sure they're still intact.
2007 500 Military 5spd

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 11:27:58 pm
There should be rubber washers to absorb vibrations where the windscreen bolts down to the headlight bracket. I'd check to make sure they're still intact.

It is rubber isolated to absorb vibrations where the windscreen bolts down.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

oldernotwiser

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 06:27:31 pm
Finally got around to figuring it out, at least in my case. It was the plastic headlight bucket buzzing against the headlight. Wrapped the inner lip of the headlight with a couple layers of electrical tape and things snugged up to kill the buzz. Not a pretty solution but it doesn't show and at least it identified the culprit. I'll have to figure out something a little more elegant.

TAG_Foto

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 05:33:38 pm
I have what appears to be the same issue on my 2020 Himmi. At 2500-3000 rpm there is a rattling / buzzing sound. I was able to stop it while riding by grabbing the lower left hand corner of the windscreen and holding it still. Later I removed the windscreen to see if indeed that is the culprit. Now I hear the faintest buzzing which could simply be the headlight issue mentioned here - it is almost imperceptible but appears very similar in tone / frequency / etc. I had a very loud buzzing on my Honda Rebel headlight that I resolved by putting a small amount of weatherstripping between the retaining ring and the housing. And so the electrical tape solution mentioned here is familiar but I am doubtful that will work here as holding the windscreen still / removing it had such a noticeable effect. I checked the rubber grommets and they are fine. I'm at a loss. TIA for any suggestions!
--

2022 Royal Enfield Meteor - Fireball Red
2020 Royal Enfield Himalayan

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 08:20:45 pm
The headlight needed to be adjusted a tiny bit downwards for proper alignment, and it also gave it proper clearance from the windscreen in my bike.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 12:28:38 pm
As the owner of a Suzuki V Strom 650, I have become expert at fixing severe helmet buffeting.........they are virtually unridable above 55mph for a person 6'1" tall, and probably even 5'10. They have simply the worst aero management imaginable. If you go on Ebay or Amazon and look up Motoparty clip on deflector...heck I will attach a link for you.....your problem will almost certainly be solved, or at least a 90% improvement. It is about $35, or you can buy roughly the same thing from Revzilla for $115. I love Revzilla but I went the cheap route on this one and the product is excellent. It has multiple height and angle adjustments so it takes 10 or 15 60mph  speed runs to get it dialed but it makes a huge improvement. I didn't even bother to ride mine since it was so bad......and my Classic 500 is so much more fun anyway. The other things you can try on your Himi are changing the ANGLE of your stock screen by adding a rubber bushing at the bottom or top mounting points....unless it only mounts with 2 screws. And often the rear view mirrors, surprisingly, are a huge contributor to buffeting. I added mirror extenders, about $15 and they helped a lot as well. I also have them on my Classic but that is just so I can see behind me better.
9fingers
Link : https://www.amazon.com/Motoparty-Adjustable-Windshield-Windscreen-windscreen/dp/B07MJTJTK1

Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 03:36:54 pm
That's  good advice IME. Screens are always a compromise. Either fugly and huge, creating a vacuum to pull you forward, (ike a sports car, hair blowing forward) or you get increased wind noise. But the worst is the vibrations of buffeting. I've suffered it before and made improvements in two ways in the past, significantly increasing the rake of the screen, to smooth the airflow, or cutting the screen down,  I guess so the buffeting is below the helmet level and unnoticeable. I've found the clip on top visors help reduce noise, but never prevented buffeting for me.

There are so many variables causing this: rider's body height,  helmet designs, how you sit (upright, lent forward), airflow around and from beneath the screen etc. It needs experimenting with. Loads of miracle cures on UTube, but too many variables to work every time for everyone.

I've just put a Puig 'up & down' screen on my Z900RS and its spot on. Good attack angle, giving protection and adjustable. It's German tuv approved and has wind tunnel testing results on their web-page. I was a bit sceptical, but gave it a go. It's good. I can solidly recommend it, but that's my height, posture and a different bike!  if you ever feel tempted to go aftermarket have a look at their website, you can put your bike model in to search for their products.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 06:45:13 pm
I put a Puig on my V Strom, reasonably priced, good quality, and it helped with the buffeting, but not enough to make the bike enjoyable. And you are right, tons of variables, but the deflectors are cheap help.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Ove

• Grease Monkey