Author Topic: Need a tps  (Read 3080 times)

marvinmickey4

• Scooter
  • Thump Thump goes the silver ghost
on: November 11, 2019, 07:51:17 am
Hello,hoping someone can tell me we're I can get a throttle position sensor?

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 07:58:46 am
As far as I know, they are not available separately, you need to buy the whole throttle body.
I could be wrong and I'd be interested to know if you can get one, or one from another source which fits and works.

Frank

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 12:59:56 pm
As far as I know, they are not available separately, you need to buy the whole throttle body.
I could be wrong and I'd be interested to know if you can get one, or one from another source which fits and works.

Frank

This is correct, if you need help finding one let me know.
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

marvinmickey4

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:43:33 am
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.thank yall for the replys. Maybe go to junkyard grab a few to test.on the one that is on there I am not getting 5v at full throttle, more around 3.5 to 4.0.have five volts in, set at can't remember now but what I had read and seen in videos to set it at, at idol. idol set at 1100 to 1150.after it warms up idol drops to almost stall then picks back up. Have not found out why yet. This was going to be one piece out of way.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:08:13 am
I think I only get around 4v from mine at full throttle? certainly not a full 5v.
The bike runs fine

Frank

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 09:01:07 am
The 4 volts at full throttle is within parameters, I found replacing the sparkplug cured my erratic  idling.
A faulty tps will also flash up a fault code.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:49:52 am by Dalmatian man »
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

marvinmickey4

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:20:37 pm
Ok, that makes more since. changed the plug, helped  some.it runs like a screaming Mimi. it has never died yet( knock on wood ) just gets to be annoying. bleap it occasionally and life's good. Just want to know why.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 01:46:59 pm
.it runs like a screaming Mimi.
Don't know that expression? Is it good, bad or what?

Frank

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 04:17:53 pm
You guys know about adjusting the TPS?  In this post, if I'm not mistaken he seems to be saying this can bias the ECU towards richer or leaner across the entire range?
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=26552.msg308515#msg308515

Is this true for export UCEs, or will the O2 sensor input more or less override the TPS adjustment?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/screaming%20meemies .   It doesn't sound like a good thing, but I think he means it "revs freely".  Personally, when my engine starts screaming, I get very anxious.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 04:52:36 pm
Ok, that makes more since. changed the plug, helped  some.it runs like a screaming Mimi. it has never died yet( knock on wood ) just gets to be annoying. bleap it occasionally and life's good. Just want to know why.

Yeah, your TPS readings sound like they are normal .  At idle and with a closed throttle , your tps reading should be very near to 0.6v  for a stock bike.   Adjusting THAT initial reading ,either lower or higher will  either lean or richen the mixture  when the system is NOT in closed loop.   Closed loop is when the throttle is in a fixed and steady throttle position... like cruising and at idle.  That up and down idle when the motor is warm is most likely due to the o2 sensor.   When the motor is warm and at operating temp... and at idle ,it is in closed loop... meaning the o2 sensor is constantly making corrections between too rich and too lean.  It switches back and forth.   Up and down ... up and down... up and down with the idle. 

To smooth it out a bit, you may need to tweak your idle speed up a touch , by turning that large brass screw on top of the throttle body counter clockwise...JUST a bit at a time !   Counter clockwise raises the idle and clockwise decreases the idle.    Only adjust your idle speed when the motor is warm and at operating temp.  Not sure where you are located  ?... but in cool weather like it is here, it can take a good 5-10 minutes at idle before the motor is near operating temp.  If you put your hand on top of the rocker box cover and it feels like you are holding a hot cup of coffee ?  .... you are at or near operating temp.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:42:25 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 05:16:13 pm
This is a very well thought out piece of explanation and advice. Where do you stand on the use of the "enrichener" lever till it is warm? The factory says to use it until activating and releasing it make no difference. In other words, when cold and you use the enricherner (think of it a choke although it's not) the engine runs well. In that state, if you release it the engine RPM will go down and the engine may not run well. When the engine is warm enough activation or releasing the lever has no effect.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 06:15:43 pm
  It DOES take forever for these bikes to get up to operating temp ... Particularly in cold weather .   Excellent oiling and cooling features.  They run rich at idle and small throttle openings , which keep the motor cooler as well.  Until that o2 sensor  can lean and clean things up a bit on a stock bike.

If one has made a change to their intake or exhaust ?   THAT may have an effect as well.  Because you also have a MAP sensor in that throttle body , which is now seeing a different manifold pressure.... less vacuum with less restriction.  Which may have the ECU supplying even more fuel at idle and smaller throttle openings.   With modifications on these bikes to the intake , exhaust , Cams etc.   I  have found these motors WILL run very rich at idle and small throttle openings  and lower RPMS, and then lean out as the throttle is opened and the RPM's come up.  And that effect is dependent on how much of a change was made to the stock intake and exhaust.   But I have always seen them run richer initially.... like in the 10:1 air fuel ratio range.   And THAT is RICH !    And it will take that much longer for it to warm up .  Changing thing's on your motor when you have EFI , does NOT always mean that things get leaner.  It can change things in different area's and in unexpected ways.    That Carb mentality goes out the window... 
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

darmahman

• I've lived in Colorado for the past 43 years.
  • Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 03:10:55 am
i have the Hitchcock 50's style muffler and header as well as their S+B high flow air filter installed on my 2018 Classic 500. Other than a louder exhaust and slightly better performance( I live at 5000') the bike starts just as easily and runs right out of the box with no hesitation. I am going to wrap the baffle with some ceramic muffler packing to quiet it down a little...
Scram 411, Moto Guzzi V85, BMW R100GS, Road King, BMW R1200C , Suzuki DRZ-400E