Author Topic: model c sidevalve  (Read 1191 times)

Davet1

• Scooter
on: April 18, 2021, 12:56:28 pm
Hi, I have a 1940 350 model C. Sidevalve . In the process of an engine rebuild. Having split the flywheels and removed the conrod there were no thrust washers either side of the conrod. I have rebushed the conrod and re-assembled the flywheels but there is side movement. I'm thinking this is not right should there be washers ?
Thanks

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:22:29 am
on the model WD/CO 350, that has approximately the same bottom-end as the model C, there are hardened steel thrust-washers on both sides of the big-end bearing, and after tightening, side play on the big-end bearing should be between .010 - .020 in. (end float for crancshaft after assemby is .005-.015 in.). I suppose the same goes for the model C. I think Hitchcock has these washers in stock.
Ludo

Davet1

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:33:44 am
Thanks, Hitchcocks list washers but it says for use with roller big end which mine isn't. I'll ring them,see if they know. Cheers

Davet1

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 01:12:04 pm
Just to confirm thrust washers are the same as ohv engine.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 07:06:44 pm
I have a question for the gearheads here - why are sidevalve cam profiles so abrupt as compared to OHV? The ones I've seen have a very pronounced nose peak, and the Bullet cams have a gentle nose. Is it all about valve train mass?

The sidevalve Enfields timing side layouts look remarkably like the OHV models. It seems likely a sidevalve top end could be fitted to the Bullet cases with not too much modification needed. Other than giving up 10-12 HP  :o , mechanically it seems straightforward...?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.