Author Topic: Winter Accessories for my C5  (Read 9685 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 10:45:15 pm
...I'm not crazy about threading and unthreading that coarse threaded prong into the high tension lead every time I change plugs either.  It's molded onto the coil at the other end, and you can only shorten it so many times.  ...

Well, it's not like you have to change the spark plug cap every time you replace the spark plug.
Once you've changed the cap to the kind that slips on over the big terminal on the non threaded type, your done.  It will fit the screw on terminal connector without fussing with removing the connector on the plug.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 05:34:15 am
Well that's true.  So where does one get that nipple type plug cap?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 04:56:58 am
Thanks for the link!  That NGK cap looks just like the ones I bought, which were NGK P/N LB05F stock number 8051 (Black), and were for the threaded stud.  Here it is on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/NGK-LD05F-Resistor-Spark-Plug/dp/B001KOI8W2/ref=pd_cp_263_1/139-8455500-2691965?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001KOI8W2&pd_rd_r=dba2fbe4-894e-4284-8476-b9d3d07d37ed&pd_rd_w=UF3jg&pd_rd_wg=SPAcF&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=TPKCXWJK20EV2S0S4ANF&psc=1&refRID=TPKCXWJK20EV2S0S4ANF

I see that the "F" and "FP" versions say "5K ohm resistance terminal stud" which the "E" version makes no mention of.

Actually, you should be able to find a screw on spark plug cap at any auto supply store.

Not at the major chain auto parts stores I tried here in Chicago.  I had to show them the part just to get those youngsters to understand what I was talking about.  They said ignition wires are all molded in one piece with the boots, and they had never seen anything like it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:22:46 am by axman88 »

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 11:39:51 am
The HT cable (ignition wire) is not molded in to the coil.
It screws in the same as the plug cap.
This means you can change the OEM rubbish HT wire for a good quality silicone HT wire with copper core.
The cap I use on both my C5 classics is YB05F-R, PT No. 8162, R means it's Red which is obviously a faster colour.????????
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:56:10 am by Haggis »
Off route, recalculate?

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 06:20:39 pm
The HT cable (ignition wire) is not molded in to the coil.
It screws in the same as the plug cap.

That's awesome!  I had no idea.  I took it apart to the point shown in the picture, then stopped.   RE shows the ignition coil / high tension wire as an assembly in my spare parts manual, and I had experience with other bikes where the cable was molded into the coil pack, so I assumed that's what I was looking at.  Good to know that HT wire can be unscrewed from a coarse thread socket on the coil.

I have to say, the more I learn about the machine, the more pleased I am with how it's engineered.  Even if there are material quality issues and process quality issues, everything seems well thought out and easily repaired, more so than any bike I've played with in the past.

Thanks for posting the info regarding the plug cap.  I guess NGK calls the nipple shaped end "Solid Post" when it's not removable and "Terminal Nut" when it is, and "Terminal Stud" when it's the small diameter threaded stud.

Incidently, why I took my ignition coil and OEM cap off in the first place, was because on my 2012 C5, the spark cap was apparently not screwed onto the HT wire very well.  At 2000 miles, the engine became hard starting.  By 3000 miles, it would occasionally miss while riding.  At ~3150 miles, I was riding it when I smelled something burning and the engine died while I was waiting at a traffic light.  20 minutes of kicking and cranking failed to re-start the bike, and drained the battery, so I pushed it the 2 miles home.  Some investigation revealed that the connection had apparently been arcing at the plug cap, and apparently the internal resistor had opened.  I clipped the end of the wire, and screwed my NGK replacement cap on ALL THE WAY this time.  The machine was returned to being a first kick starter, and I learned several valuable lessons.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 10:50:12 pm
My heated gloves arrived yesterday and I did a 3 hour ride today, including lunch, and it was around 42 F for most of the ride and at around 60 mph most of the time. First of all, the One Size Fits all fit me very well, but I have medium/large hands. They are perfectly decent $10 winter gloves and my finger tips were very cold after 45 minutes. Pass on these. I think I will send them back.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 12:23:31 pm
My heated gloves arrived yesterday and I did a 3 hour ride today, including lunch, and it was around 42 F for most of the ride and at around 60 mph most of the time. First of all, the One Size Fits all fit me very well, but I have medium/large hands. They are perfectly decent $10 winter gloves and my finger tips were very cold after 45 minutes. Pass on these. I think I will send them back.
9fingers

Keep your hands warm - you don't need to lose more  fingers...

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 02:24:39 pm
Keep your hands warm - you don't need to lose more  fingers...

Ha Ha! Back when I was in my 20's I broke my other thumb skiing at Hunter Mountain NY and at the time I was working part time in a ski shop. When my coworkers saw the splint on my other had they cracked up and started calling me 8 or 81/2. They were the ones that started calling me "9" when they passed over me in the lift, while skiing out in Aspen, Co. And it stuck. I figured we would have the tech to grow a new one by now......the research back in the 80s was being led by Columbia University and they could sever a rats arm and grow most of a new one in 3 days. These days the Pentagon is almost certainly leading the research. But I work in the pharma/biotech industry, and in truth, there is much more profit it BUILDING new limbs/digits, with harvested bone, skin, and regrowing tissue. They end up with 6 or 8 surgeries,anti rejection drugs for life,  and many companies making huge profits. So, still 9fingers to keep warm and attached.
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 04:50:38 pm
9fingers

The eBay link you provided to those black gloves mentions that they do not come with batteries. Did you source the batteries somehow, or just try the gloves without?

Also, if our original poster "axman88" is needing to commute in his standard "monkey suit" business wear, I'm wondering if a nice big Driza-Bone waxed cotton greatcoat "duster" or "riding coat" from Down Under might not be just the ticket to getting him to the office without looking like he's been volunteering in a county fair dunking booth. It's kind of a dashing look, and the snap-together leg straps inside would certainly help keep those knees warm. Kinda pricey new, but unlike the somehow more "collectible" used Belstaff jackets, which every fashionista nowadaways seems to need to own, lightly-used Driza-Bones can be had on eBay pretty reasonably.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:07:14 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 06:01:38 pm
Bilgemaster, the gloves take 3 each of double AA batteries, which I had in stock. They claim 150F on the high setting, and battery life of approx 2 hours at that temp. I can tell you they never got anywhere near that hot. I also don't want to spend $5 on batteries every ride. Nice experiment but my $25 heavy leather, insulated, army surplus gloves from Sportsmans Guide are much better.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 07:54:54 pm
Bilgemaster, the gloves take 3 each of double AA batteries, which I had in stock. They claim 150F on the high setting, and battery life of approx 2 hours at that temp. I can tell you they never got anywhere near that hot. I also don't want to spend $5 on batteries every ride. Nice experiment but my $25 heavy leather, insulated, army surplus gloves from Sportsmans Guide are much better.
9fingers

I see your point. I guess one could go the rechargeable Ni-Cads route, but then who wants to shlep around a big 6-cell AC wall charger unit and then find a place to plug it in? The WarmSpace gloves have a single rechargeable Lithium Ion pack per glove and a special 1-into-2 USB charging cable, so I can just conveniently top both of 'em off right on the bike's USB charging port under my saddle, same as my phone or bluetooth earbuds.

That Sportsman's Guide website is just hours of browsing fun, isn't it? But then I've always adored Army-Navy Surplus joints, even as a kid. They're so redolent of manly adventure. As for right now, I'm kinda pondering whether to pick up one of their French Police Surplus Motorcycle Jacket Armor getups for my spring ensemble, but I really feel it needs a cape of some sort, yes?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:10:44 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #27 on: November 24, 2019, 08:10:06 pm
I'll just chime in with my not so humble opinion. I have been a fan of heated gear since the early 80s. I have always gone with the kind that plugs into the bike electrical system. The newest ones are way more efficient and less bulky than the ancient ones. I have a set from Cycle Gear that is a jacket liner including sleeves, and a set of gloves that plug into the wires from the sleeves. I can't keep them on the highest setting for long. They get too hot. Never had a problem with charging or battery life either. And for people like me, they now have a coiled power cord so you don't do any damage when you walk away while still plugged in.

I had a Dri-Za-Bone duster like the one above. On a naked bike at 70 mph the snaps came undone and trashed my custom paint job before I could get the bike stopped. If I were still commuting on a bike I would spring for an Aerostich one piece suit. That's what it is made for. You can get them in non-Power Ranger colors and contrary to popular opinion you don't have to prove you ride a BMW in order to buy one.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #28 on: November 24, 2019, 09:33:21 pm
A number of years ago I jumped on a sale and bought a Firstgear insulated suit for silly money.  Loved it!  It's only flaw was how it rode up a bit at my ankles, which all long pants do with me on a bike since my legs are so long.  I could easily have added some straps to go around the soles of my boots to keep them in place, but I just never got around to it.  Now I don't have a bike I'm willing to ride when there's any chance of salty road treatments, so I don't wear it much any more...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-thermo-1-piece-suit

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 09:33:59 pm
That Sportsman's Guide website is just hours of browsing fun, isn't it? But then I've always adored Army-Navy Surplus joints, even as a kid. They're so redolent of manly adventure. As for right now, I'm kinda pondering whether to pick up one of their French Police Surplus Motorcycle Jacket Armor getups for my spring ensemble, but I really feel it needs a cape of some sort, yes?

Yes, I always loved army/Navy stores when I was a kid as well, and I have gotten some good stuff from SG. And I looked at that body armor as well, but it only comes in Med., if I recall. And it looks a bit too much like something the Village People or Freddie Mercury would have worn, with a very short pair of tight black shorts........or chaps with nothing under them..........to parties that they attended on Christopher Street in Greenwhich Village, back in the 80s. I used to shop all the  record stores in the village looking for esoteric records that I collected.....and still have! I saw a lot of strange stuff there.....................and I don't mean the records.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350