Author Topic: quick detach rear wheel  (Read 4524 times)

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #30 on: February 11, 2020, 05:53:52 pm
I got a puncture last October (after section 1 of a 10 section classic road/off road trial). Although I'm quite well practiced at repairing punctures, on this occasion it wasn't possible to repair it in situ, especially as I'd removed the centre stand for better off-road ground clearance. I waited over five hours on a cold, windswept hill for a recovery truck (they initially told me they would be with me in forty five minutes). It was on a Saturday afternoon, too, so there were no local bike repair shops open.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #31 on: February 11, 2020, 07:04:43 pm
I have often wondered why R.E just didn't design the center stand better. But you make my point(assuming you were on a Bullet) as to what a drag it is getting a puncture with tube tires on the road, unprepared. It does not happen that often, twice for me since 1972. 2009 I picked up a nail near the end of Long Island. I was alone but some hog riders stopped to help and were impressed by the act. One hour later we were having a drink in a Montauk Point bar. AND, it got them thinking. Are you in the U.K Paul W ?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 11, 2020, 08:50:15 pm
Yes, in UK.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 11, 2020, 09:37:04 pm
Yes, in UK.
Ah, I thought so with the mention of the recovery truck. We have nothing like that here. I saw it on top gear when Hammond rode the Vincent and needed a motorcycle repair and recovery van.To no surprise he needed it more than once, and actually kick started it for him ! We do have flat bed car recovery but no mobile repair, that is a nice service.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2020, 12:36:13 am
Was the Expert even aware of the tilting fender?  Any of you guys ever get a flat out on the road with your Enfield?
Years and years ago,  when I rode my first bike, and that was 1949 BMW R35, this was the only way you could actually remove rear wheel from the bike unless you detached the whole rear fender before.  I do not understand all this criticism.  And yes, I did get a flat rear tire on the road with my Enfield.  Where else do you get a flat?  In the garage?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:51:44 am by Tarnand »
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 12, 2020, 01:19:27 am
Years and years ago,  when I rode my first bike, and that was 1949 BMW R35, this was the only way you could actually remove rear wheel from the bike unless you detached the whole rear fender before.  I do not understand all this criticism.  And yes, I did get a flat rear tire on the road with my Enfield.  Where else do you get a flat?  In the garage?

Criticism?Not at all. So, since you were not in your garage, how did you deal with your flat?

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: February 12, 2020, 05:51:06 am
So, since you were not in your garage, how did you deal with your flat?
Fortunately for me it was not somewhere "in the middle of nowhere" but in city (Chicago).  I decided to push the bike for close to 2 miles to the nearest tire shop.  If both tires were good it would not be a big deal but with a flat it was much harder then I imagined. Somehow I managed. 
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 12, 2020, 10:50:44 am
Years ago I had the rear tube blow out on my old BSA C15. I was riding fast downhill, with my girlfriend on the pillion. How I kept the bike upright I don't know but thankfully there was no opposing traffic because we explored all the carriageway and the nearside grass verge before I managed to stop the bike. It was made slightly more difficult to stop because my girlfriend thought I was just messing about to frighten her and began hitting my arm and screaming (or maybe that was me).

A bent three inch nail had ripped the inner tube to shreds.

More recently I got another rear puncture on my RE 350, about three miles from home. It was in a torrential rainstorm so I decided to keep going, "footing" the bike to keep it upright and straight and the tyre on the rim. I made it home.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: February 12, 2020, 01:18:15 pm
Has anyone ever tried the Mousse Tubes? I know the older I get the less inclined I am to do a "road fix".

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 08:54:14 am
Didn't the Beach Boys do a song about that?
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 01:45:36 pm
O.K, Googled Mousse Tubes  watched an installation video and as usual there is no free lunch. If your desert racing yes, but just road riding, no. Big effort plus fixtures and 6 tire irons involved. And this guy knew what he was doing. Paul W, I believe the song was Douche Scoop. Why they did a song about a cats litter box is beyond me.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:53:27 pm by cyrusb »

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: February 13, 2020, 02:32:23 pm
 8) Aah, I see; it's 'cos I don't speak much 'murrican.
Paul W.