Author Topic: Crash Bar for Royal Enfield  (Read 3519 times)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
on: January 31, 2020, 05:27:14 pm
I was told that in rider circles, these protective devices are more politely called "Engine Guards".  "We don't use the C word", was what was said.  Whatever you call them, I think that this accessory is quite desirable, and I generally install one on any commuter or general purpose machine that I ride.

These accessories are very popular in India, where they are often adorned with rope wrappings and take various forms, some quite complex.

I found this article listing the popular types:  https://rideofy.com/blog/royal-enfield-crash-guard-online/

Also, this U-Tube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfJuzWmjCg

The "Airfly" type is the most ostentatious.  I recall reading an Indian RE forum, wherein a member was suggesting that this type is actually dangerous to the rider.  He told a story about how a friend had been in an accident with a vehicle, and the bar had bent back around the bike and trapped the riders leg to the side of his bike.

The type I put on my bike isn't on the list of those popular in India, but was readily available for around $80 or less on Ebay.  I'd call it "trapezoidal" in shape.  It does a great job of protecting the bike and rider.  You can see in the attached image, the scar that bears witness to it performing perfectly when I went down on a patch of ice about this time last year.  As with many India sourced items, the mounting hardware wasn't quite right, and a bit of home engineering was involved to properly mount the guard so as to not interfere with the 02 sensor.  I blend my own "squint eye matching" khaki paint using various shades of Rustoleum from my collection of primary colors, plus white and black.

Royal Enfield military motorcycles seem to have yet another style of guard, that is something of a cross between the "Butterfly" and the "trapezoid" style.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 07:05:07 pm
I was told that in rider circles, these protective devices are more politely called "Engine Guards".  "We don't use the C word", was what was said.  Whatever you call them, I think that this accessory is quite desirable, and I generally install one on any commuter or general purpose machine that I ride.

These accessories are very popular in India, where they are often adorned with rope wrappings and take various forms, some quite complex.

I found this article listing the popular types:  https://rideofy.com/blog/royal-enfield-crash-guard-online/

Also, this U-Tube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfJuzWmjCg

The "Airfly" type is the most ostentatious.  I recall reading an Indian RE forum, wherein a member was suggesting that this type is actually dangerous to the rider.  He told a story about how a friend had been in an accident with a vehicle, and the bar had bent back around the bike and trapped the riders leg to the side of his bike.

The type I put on my bike isn't on the list of those popular in India, but was readily available for around $80 or less on Ebay.  I'd call it "trapezoidal" in shape.  It does a great job of protecting the bike and rider.  You can see in the attached image, the scar that bears witness to it performing perfectly when I went down on a patch of ice about this time last year.  As with many India sourced items, the mounting hardware wasn't quite right, and a bit of home engineering was involved to properly mount the guard so as to not interfere with the 02 sensor.  I blend my own "squint eye matching" khaki paint using various shades of Rustoleum from my collection of primary colors, plus white and black.

Royal Enfield military motorcycles seem to have yet another style of guard, that is something of a cross between the "Butterfly" and the "trapezoid" style.
       Sorry about the huge link, but here's another style that's popular in India:

https://www.flipkart.com/wheetoykart-straight-rod-1-5-inch-leg-guard-black-bike-crash/p/itm39da21712f0d0?pid=BGGFJGGYBQSMQXS4&lid=LSTBGGFJGGYBQSMQXS45RCOKF&marketplace=FLIPKART&fm=productRecommendation%2Fsimilar&iid=R%3As%3Bp%3ABGGF2EXUZPEZHARP%3Bpt%3App%3Buid%3A31120079-e78d-5081-69a8-3cff9ed7ce44%3B.BGGFJGGYBQSMQXS4.LSTBGGFJGGYBQSMQXS45RCOKF&ppt=pp&ppn=pp&ssid=qrykprs4ndbhxaf41580496738837&otracker=pp_reco_Similar%2BProducts_5_32.productCard.PMU_HORIZONTAL_WHEETOYKART%2BStraight%2BRod%2B1.5-inch%2BLeg%2BGuard%2B%2528Black%2529%2BBike%2BCrash%2BGuard_BGGFJGGYBQSMQXS4.LSTBGGFJGGYBQSMQXS45RCOKF_productRecommendation%2Fsimilar_4&otracker1=pp_reco_PINNED_productRecommendation%2Fsimilar_Similar%2BProducts_GRID_productCard_cc_5_NA_view-all&cid=BGGFJGGYBQSMQXS4.LSTBGGFJGGYBQSMQXS45RCOKF

I actually (regretfully) impulsively ordered one of these years ago. I stared at for a year and decided it just wasn't "right" TMWOT. I've done that for five or 6 years now. It still sits in a far corner. You could beat an ox to death it  :)

It's more a tip over protector than a "crash bar".

It's just not my style of highway pegs and I've never been much interested in "engine protectors".
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tjupille

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 03:36:04 am
I have that same trapezoidal bar on my 2017 C5 "desert storm". I took the toolbox lid to Home Depot; they scanned the color and mixed up a "sample" in flat exterior paint. The problem is that house paint is soft, so I then sprayed with matte clear finish for a reasonably tough, close-enough color match.
As to practicality, I had a slow (25 mph) low-side spill last summer. Ended up with a bent footpeg and some scratches on the bar, which touched up just fine; I'm very glad it was there.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 08:47:45 pm
I took the toolbox lid to Home Depot; they scanned the color and mixed up a "sample" in flat exterior paint.
As to practicality, I had a slow (25 mph) low-side spill last summer. Ended up with a bent footpeg and some scratches on the bar, which touched up just fine; I'm very glad it was there.
Nice looking machine!  I talked elsewhere about why I prefer paint over chrome, but it's not for everyone.  My Desert Storm gets a lot of compliments on its appearance, "squint matched" paint, scars and all.

Around here, the EPA has blocked sales of oil based paint for bulk use.  House paint, deck stain, even the ones that claim to be oil based, are all relatively low VOC, and water cleanup.  To get the good stuff, you have to have a commercial account. 

Hitchcocks does offer some touch-up in spray cans:  https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/paints/34289

Silentulf

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:49:48 pm

As with many India sourced items, the mounting hardware wasn't quite right, and a bit of home engineering was involved to properly mount the guard so as to not interfere with the 02 sensor.

What exactly did you have to do?

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 04:09:00 am
  As with many India sourced items, the mounting hardware wasn't quite right, and a bit of home engineering was involved to properly mount the guard so as to not interfere with the 02 sensor.

What exactly did you have to do?

If you zoom in on the picture I attached to my first post, you might be able to see the scab plates that mount the bottom of the  guard.  These allow the bottom of the bar to move forward about 2" and upward an inch so there is no interference with the 02 sensor, and additional clearance from the exhaust.  The scab plates are .10 inch or so thick. and share two engine mount bolts.

It's been a while, but I think I also made a heavier gauge mounting strap and added some spacers to shift the top of the bar forward and mount it more firmly, and changed some of the bolts that came with the bar for more suitable ones.  For the $68 they charged me for this thing, the bar itself was stout enough, but the mounting hardware was pretty sketchy.

My engine guard has been put to the test in one black ice dismount, and a no speed drop.  Mostly it collects scratches as I hoist the bike up on it's center stand in it's parking spot, which is "As close as possible" to a brick wall.  I leave the scars on the bar for my bike buddies to notice, as a conversation starter.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 12:58:04 pm
If you show up in Arlington, I’ll give you a chrome guard. I took it off my Bullet.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 07:01:01 pm
I noticed that host of the blog post on crash bars that I linked to has changed the address to:

https://blog.rideofy.com/royal-enfield-crash-guard-online/

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 07:18:08 pm
Now HERE's some crash bars! Lane splitting may become problematic though... ;D ;D ;D

https://www.cycleworld.com/skidbike-motorcycle-training-to-improve-riding-skills/

https://www.skidbike.com/
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 05:37:53 am
Interesting.
Not for the individual, but appears to be a real boon for instructors in advanced safety classes.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Silentulf

• Neophyte
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 06:49:16 pm
If you zoom in on the picture I attached to my first post, you might be able to see the scab plates that mount the bottom of the  guard.  These allow the bottom of the bar to move forward about 2" and upward an inch so there is no interference with the 02 sensor, and additional clearance from the exhaust.  The scab plates are .10 inch or so thick. and share two engine mount bolts.

It's been a while, but I think I also made a heavier gauge mounting strap and added some spacers to shift the top of the bar forward and mount it more firmly, and changed some of the bolts that came with the bar for more suitable ones.  For the $68 they charged me for this thing, the bar itself was stout enough, but the mounting hardware was pretty sketchy.

My engine guard has been put to the test in one black ice dismount, and a no speed drop.  Mostly it collects scratches as I hoist the bike up on it's center stand in it's parking spot, which is "As close as possible" to a brick wall.  I leave the scars on the bar for my bike buddies to notice, as a conversation starter.

Thanks a lot  :) I just ordered an oktagon one from India, pre 2020 model. 53 quid. Should be no problem to add scab plates and shims.  :)