Author Topic: Pulling left footpeg and shift lever in with bevel washers  (Read 3058 times)

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Following a tip from TEC Bike Parts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gicnEN-9BLc&t=209s) I ordered up a set of bevel washers to bring my shift lever and footpeg from the goofy 5º out of alignment factory setting to one that is in alignment. Took 5 minutes. Had to round the washers with a Dremel, and will paint them since they're galvanized and stand out pretty egregiously, but the lever and footpeg are now straight and I am happy.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 09:20:32 pm
Following a tip from TEC Bike Parts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gicnEN-9BLc&t=209s) I ordered up a set of bevel washers to bring my shift lever and footpeg from the goofy 5º out of alignment factory setting to one that is in alignment. Took 5 minutes. Had to round the washers with a Dremel, and will paint them since they're galvanized and stand out pretty egregiously, but the lever and footpeg are now straight and I am happy.
Ha_ "wish you hadn't pointed that out..." 8)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:49:14 pm
Ha_ "wish you hadn't pointed that out..." 8)

That's how I felt when I watched the video, and it bugged me till I had to do something about it. Those dang washers are $$$ and square but they do the trick.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 10:25:33 pm
That's how I felt when I watched the video, and it bugged me till I had to do something about it. Those dang washers are $$$ and square but they do the trick.

As our trailblazer on this, do you think a common thickish SS washers could be ground to the angle?
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 10:39:40 pm
As our trailblazer on this, do you think a common thickish SS washers could be ground to the angle?

You're much handier with the grinder than I am, so I'm sure you could do it. The key is to get a bevel. And orientation is important. Thick facing rearward on the top, thin facing rearward on the bottom. You'll know it's right when you tighten it up and the shift lever/footpeg magically straighten out.

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 11:57:51 pm
Saw vid a while ago and have some bevel square washes coming. Also already replace the axle lock nuts with ss stud joiner as per same video
Steve from Victoria, Australia. MY22 Interceptor.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 01:42:08 am
I just went out and looked at my left foot peg, again (Interceptor). Yup, still out at an angle, but not as bad as Mr. TEC's.
Then, with it on the center stand, I pushed down on the left foot peg. It sprung inward a bit.
Then I swung a leg over and pumped both pegs (still on ridged center stand). Both foot levers moved a bit and sprung back.
So, that cast foot peg mount that we tend to complain about (me included) are actually a designed-in comfort point by absorbing road shock. (?)

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 02:28:06 pm
I just went out and looked at my left foot peg, again (Interceptor). Yup, still out at an angle, but not as bad as Mr. TEC's.
Then, with it on the center stand, I pushed down on the left foot peg. It sprung inward a bit.
Then I swung a leg over and pumped both pegs (still on ridged center stand). Both foot levers moved a bit and sprung back.
So, that cast foot peg mount that we tend to complain about (me included) are actually a designed-in comfort point by absorbing road shock. (?)

Maybe it is! Or maybe there's just that much flex in the pot metal they used for casting the pegs. I don't think I took any flex out with the addition of these washers. Will have to check on the next ride.

58webbing

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 02:36:44 pm
Those tapered square washers look excactly like the standard washers used for bolting RSJ (rolled section joist) together. Google RSJ washers for some images. The problem for me is that although it is sort of a solution for the appalling design of the footrests I consider it to be bad engineering and thus seeing them deployed in this situation would be worse than what was before. Just my thoughts.
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor
2019 Honda CB650R
2020 SurRon Light Bee
2018 Royal Enfield Bullet
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 02:41:53 pm
Those tapered square washers look excactly like the standard washers used for bolting RSJ (rolled section joist) together. Google RSJ washers for some images. The problem for me is that although it is sort of a solution for the appalling design of the footrests I consider it to be bad engineering and thus seeing them deployed in this situation would be worse than what was before. Just my thoughts.

Certainly bad QC at the factory. I understand what you mean about making the situation worse since the footpeg was "meant" to jut out at 5º off center. But there is enough play in both the bolt and the bracket itself that a few degrees back to center doesn't seem to be an issue. I'll let you know if the footpeg falls off in 500 miles.....

BTW, this is the website I used. We have two Grainger storefronts here in town. I got the 10-page of M8 washers. They were not available anywhere else locally. Usually contractors pick up massive orders there. Me rolling in in the Subaru and picking up a little bag of washers was a hoot.

https://www.grainger.com/search?cpnuser=false&searchBar=true&searchQuery=beveled+washers&suggestConfigId=6
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 02:46:27 pm by mwmosser »

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 07:47:33 pm
I thought I would follow up on this thread. I rode about 120 miles total between Sunday and Monday: a mix of rural roads, high-speed freeways, and in town. I found the shifter and peg to be more comfortable enough to notice. It's not a huge difference but my knee was less torqued and I felt I could get the toe of my boot under the shifter more easily. Again, don't expect miracles, but I am happy with this relatively inexpensive and not very time-consuming mod.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 01:43:40 am
I thought about this mod because it's just the thing to  bug me but I realize my feet naturally angle outward about 5° when I ride.

Weird

I do wish the footpegs and levers were about an 1.5 inches lower, though

anglojaxon

• Bulleteer
  • AngloJaxon
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 02:36:26 am
Everyone rotates their foot out and under to shift, you don't need to do this braking becuase your foot goes straight down everytime. I noticed it but it didn't reach levels of "That bugs me" , "something must be wrong" or "it's a quality or design flaw." Maybe it was intended? It seems there could be a reason for this madness. The majority of Enfield riders wear saddles and most of the bikes in that market have saree guards.

It's like someone noticing older boxer engines jugs aren't aligned across the bike and the right peg sits a little further back on one side of the bike. Of course most know it's because of the crank.

Apparently it bugged the TecBike guy. But if it bugs you fix it.
2019 Interceptor 650
2017 R1200 GS

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 09:52:52 am
Is it that the 650 is still a new machine that we tend to be a bit OCD about it?

I saw the TEC thing in one of his first videos about the bike, but I felt then and now that he was looking for stuff to nitpick.

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 09:59:29 am

Looking at pics, are those outside square washers tappered too? The TEC Bike Parts video uses tappered square washers for outside too to allow the bolt to go in straight. The thin part off washer facing opposite direction to the thin part of the wedge in washer under bracket. I am doing this adjustment tomorrow as 4 washers turned up in the post today.
Steve from Victoria, Australia. MY22 Interceptor.