Author Topic: A short ride on a 1939 RE 500 Model J Bullet.  (Read 1715 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 12:02:04 pm
https://youtu.be/xLTJGh8C5Uc

Marvelous. Just marvelous  :)

Please ID the three levers; one above and one below on the left handlebar and the one above on the right.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 12:59:09 pm
        Marvelous. Just marvelous  :)

Please ID the three levers; one above and one below on the left handlebar and the one above on the right.
Thanks, Tooseevee. On the left, starting at the bottom - valve lifter lever - this actually operates a lifter at the base of the exhaust pushrod, opening the exhaust valve itself a little. Next the clutch, obviously and the top lever controls the advance / retard of the magneto timing, with the lever pulled back [tight cable] giving full advance in this case, although magnetos with slack wire advance are also available and my preferred type, as you can keep going more easily if the cable should break.
 On the right, there is the brake lever, as usual and above it, the choke lever, with tight wire for 'off'.
 The most demanding machine I have ridden was a 1926 AJS 350, which had a total of six levers, three per side [no twist grip, the throttle was a lever, too], plus the gear change lever on the side of the tank!

https://youtu.be/bm9aZfESKAY

B.W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:47:29 pm
this actually operates a lifter at the base of the exhaust pushrod, opening the exhaust valve itself a little.

Exactly the system which RE (India) copied for the AVL engines, only not too well!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 10:35:07 pm
BW - thanks for taking us along on that "time machine"! Watching a working girder was enlightening and that hardtail gave your camera's anti-shake function a real workout. How're the old kidneys working now?  ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 09:27:14 am
BW - thanks for taking us along on that "time machine"! Watching a working girder was enlightening and that hardtail gave your camera's anti-shake function a real workout. How're the old kidneys working now?  ;D
Thanks, AzCal Retred.
 As it happens I think I may have damaged myself permanently after getting freezing cold and soaking wet while riding Asbo 35 in very wet, cold conditions a few times one morning, about a year ago [unless the virus got me without me knowing it]. I became almost immobile for a while, but slowly improved to where I am now, but I went to bed the other night feeling like someone had driven a tractor over me, so maybe the Model J had something to do with it, who knows?
 Here is the last of those three wet rides on Asbo 35 - I had to make three runs in order to get a half decent video, due to camera and battery issues. Despite the rain having eased off by the time I filmed this ride, I actually dried off a bit while taking this ride, even though it was still raining! My 'expensive' waterproof trousers had leaked like a sieve and a very hot bath afterwards was too little, too late!
 Asbo 35 ride in the wet ...

https://youtu.be/DJ047vBOLjc

B.W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 03:32:43 pm
None of us are getting any younger, you do need take care of yourself if you want to keep doing this stuff! We hope you will.  I'll let you decide how much of that comment is down to selfishness as much as well-wishing! ;)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 05:47:44 pm
B.W. - My chair developed a pucker mark just from holding the bike upright on that rain-slick road during that Asbo 35 ride. :o

Get in line for the vaccine when it shows up. Sounds like you had one of the two popular strains, don't need a repeat. I've heard that a shot of brandy or scotch in your hot tea/coffee kills most virus. ;) That, and an aspirin chaser to seal the deal. Aging is not for the faint of heart...

He's a self-contained electric glove link and a link to the Zippo catalytic hand warmer site, but you probably have better equipment on your side of the pond already. - ACR -
https://www.amazon.com/INBIKE-Motorcycle-Electric-Rechargable-Temperature/dp/B07WZYWJ8S
https://www.zippo.com/collections/hand-warmers#:~:text=Zippo%20Hand%20Warmers%20keep%20you,will%20keep%20your%20fingers%20toasty.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 09:30:30 pm
B.W. - My chair developed a pucker mark just from holding the bike upright on that rain-slick road during that Asbo 35 ride. :o

Get in line for the vaccine when it shows up. Sounds like you had one of the two popular strains, don't need a repeat. I've heard that a shot of brandy or scotch in your hot tea/coffee kills most virus. ;) That, and an aspirin chaser to seal the deal. Aging is not for the faint of heart...

He's a self-contained electric glove link and a link to the Zippo catalytic hand warmer site, but you probably have better equipment on your side of the pond already. - ACR -
https://www.amazon.com/INBIKE-Motorcycle-Electric-Rechargable-Temperature/dp/B07WZYWJ8S
https://www.zippo.com/collections/hand-warmers#:~:text=Zippo%20Hand%20Warmers%20keep%20you,will%20keep%20your%20fingers%20toasty.
Thanks, AzCal Retred, very thoughtful of you, but I think a snorkel and flippers might be more the ticket around here, for at least six months of the year!
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 09:24:11 am
None of us are getting any younger, you do need take care of yourself if you want to keep doing this stuff! We hope you will.  I'll let you decide how much of that comment is down to selfishness as much as well-wishing! ;)

A.
Thanks, Adrian!

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 01:36:15 pm
After that fired up I thought "That is a happy engine". Sounds great. Probably a bit too rustic of a steed for me though despite my enjoyment of old machines. Looks like a harsh ride.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor