Author Topic: New bike recommendation  (Read 3940 times)

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 02:05:31 pm
I think something similar happens with RE ( or that is what I hope), that it is more about torque, sensations and happiness that about power.
That is exactly what the Royal Enfield singles are all about. The way they feel and sound puts a smile on your face. They give you sensations you don't get from other motorcycles - maybe apart from the less modern Harley Davidsons. I think of the Enfield as being sort of 'half a Harley', but with more than half the power and a lot less weight. They are very enjoyable to ride.  ;D
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Faemino

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 04:45:55 pm
Faemino, welcome to the forum and I absolutely think you should buy that new bike! I think you will find similar characteristics to your current engine, excellent torque, vibrations, and good sound, just less of it than your HD. The Enfield will just be easier and more fun to ride, and I do believe that. I think you will find that the Enfield is fast enough for the intended use, as long as you don't expect lots of highway, hi speed travel. Best of luck and Happy New Year!
9fingers

Thanks 9fingers,

Indeed I have been in the Dealership this morning, tried the bike and I love it.
A piece of iron with lots of low end torque, nothing up and that above 120kph it fells apart. And it vibrates almost like my HD.

If they are on time los Reyes Magos will put me the bike under the tree next week.   ;D

Let me introduce you Jhonnie Walker:

Faemino

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 04:47:56 pm
Thanks to all you guys for the comments and recommendations, and Happy 2021!

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 05:12:37 pm
Thanks 9fingers,

Indeed I have been in the Dealership this morning, tried the bike and I love it.
A piece of iron with lots of low end torque, nothing up and that above 120kph it fells apart. And it vibrates almost like my HD.

If they are on time los Reyes Magos will put me the bike under the tree next week.   ;D

Let me introduce you Jhonnie Walker:

OUTSTANDING!!  Congratulations! After 2,000 miles it will be noticeably smoother and will go a bit faster. Also, a change of silencer/muffler, to something that works with the EFI, will give a slight improvement of power and top end breathing. If you get creative and want to spend more money, a Power Commander/Auto tuner combination, replacement air filter........I elemimated mine entirely and use a Uni Filter, the Hitchcocks headers, which are much lighter internal diameter (and half the weight), along with a rear pipe, is the ticket to more performance. But it may be fine just the way it is. Best of luck!
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Faemino

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 08:17:52 pm
OUTSTANDING!!  Congratulations! After 2,000 miles it will be noticeably smoother and will go a bit faster. Also, a change of silencer/muffler, to something that works with the EFI, will give a slight improvement of power and top end breathing. If you get creative and want to spend more money, a Power Commander/Auto tuner combination, replacement air filter........I elemimated mine entirely and use a Uni Filter, the Hitchcocks headers, which are much lighter internal diameter (and half the weight), along with a rear pipe, is the ticket to more performance. But it may be fine just the way it is. Best of luck!
9fingers

Thanks 9fingers,

For now I will leave it stock.
Maybe the 19 sprocket and some louder exhaust. I heard that pre-Euro 4 versions had slightly better sound.
But all that for the future, if I feel it convenient. ::)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 09:25:29 pm
I tried the 19t countershaft on mine, and mine has 6 or 7 more HP than stock.....I have custom cams too........and I ended up going back to the 18t as It just couldn't quite pull some of the long hills where I ride, in 4th gear. It could not keep at 55 mph on some of the long steeper climbs, so I had to do them in 3rd. May be worth a try in your area and for the type of riding you do.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Faemino

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 12:42:25 am
I tried the 19t countershaft on mine, and mine has 6 or 7 more HP than stock.....I have custom cams too........and I ended up going back to the 18t as It just couldn't quite pull some of the long hills where I ride, in 4th gear. It could not keep at 55 mph on some of the long steeper climbs, so I had to do them in 3rd. May be worth a try in your area and for the type of riding you do.
9fingers

Ok. I will bear that in mind. axman88 also aware me against changing to 19t, so I will give a try to stock.
Thanks!

Markus Oz

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 07:51:28 am
Hi Famenio, congratulations on your purchase it looks great in that black. I have a 2019 500 Classic Chrome and Green, now done 3500km. I also moved from Harleys to a RE, I loved the look and wanted something smaller and easier to maintain. Changes I have made, aftermarket muffler, increased the front sprocket to 19 tooth and installed a Carbery plate. Installed a front crash bar. Also purchased a RE rear rack that fits in the same spot as the rear seat. Great for sitting a bag on for trips. I got the larger front sprocket as most of my riding is on highways and back roads. Not many hills so I haven't had an issue with going up hills in top gear. I found that the RE vibration doesn't bother me coming from Harleys. In fact I don't really notice much vibration, maybe the Carbery plate has helped in that respect. I haven't had any issues with my bike, the only gripe is the indicator green light on the speedo is hard to see in the day time. Plus having to get used to non self cancelling indicators. But that's just a habit I need to change. Touring speed is probably a bit of an issue as well, but I don't intend to do long highway trips. I find the bike is comfortable at around 90 to 95 kph. I don't think higher speeds for longer periods would be ideal for the bike. I found my bike loosened up finally around 2500km. First service is 500km here in Oz, and the next service at 3000km. I did an extra oil change with filter at around 1500km. That's just me being fussy. Look forward to hearing how your bike is going. Mark

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 11:00:48 pm
Oz, there's advice on here about upgrading the indicator telltale. My other bike is a Harley, with self cancellers. I kept leaving the indicators on, until someone pulled across me, thinking I was turning off. So, I did the upgrade. Bulbs were available in a local auto store. Fiddly, but you can get into the area without taking anything apart. I did the neutral light, while i was at it. Now both are much more visible in sunlight.

Faemino

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 10:24:33 am
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the upgrades info.
I haven't had many opportunities of riding for now, excepting some short commuting, due to the COVID-19 restrictions and continuous rain.
I think I will install the 19-tooth sprocket since I find the gears quite short, especially 1st, and I notice the bike with good torque at low rpms. Also, do not have great hills over here. So I hope this will not penalize the riding.
Also, I am waiting for a Hitchcocks’ mirror extenders for the touring mirrors that came with my model, since I can only see my shoulders. I tried to adjust them by playing with the handlebar, levers, etc., as did with my HD, but it didn’t work. I moved the handlebar towards me (I felt also more comfortable), then compensated by rotating the brake and clutch levers and adjusting the mirrors, but the levers collide with the indicator and switches housings. And apparently the housings cannot be rotated since they are anchored by a metal pin into the handlebar. So the results were not the best.
I didn`t know the Carberry plate. For now I have not problems with the vibrations, but I take note for the future in case I feel that med – high revs increase the vibrations to undesired levels.
Also the sound is ok for me by now. Here in Europe we have to pass a revision every 2 years, and I have to put back the stock mufflers and some other couple of things in my HD. It is not a big deal, but I prefer to avoid the process with the Royal Enfield. Nevertheless, I have heard about Red Rooster exhaust, but I don’t know if they are homologated, i.e., if they are CE compliant regarding emissions and sound (82bB max for my bike, I think). And if they are, maybe the difference with the stock is barely appreciable.   
I also have to get used to the non self-cancelling indicators and not to seek the right indicator button with the right hand. And to the upright position and medium controls since, used to the forward ones, I kick the defenses every time I get on the bike xD.
Also I find that the brake pedal is too low. I made some research and it seems easy to adjust. Maybe I will give it a try this weekend.

Keep riding!