Author Topic: Itchy Boots' new luggage  (Read 20577 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 09, 2019, 02:09:54 pm
Itchy Boots has just published a new video describing her new gear and luggage:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1_EecI70W0

The "Mosko moto" soft luggage really has me scratching my head. It seems very well constructed and also looks waterproof.  But it sure looks complicated to me. It is full of relatively small waterproof compartments, mounts using lots of straps and just plain looks over-engineered for usage that is going to include being removed and reinstalled every day. Plus, I am not too sure how secure it will be when Noraly leaves her bike parked somewhere when she goes for a hike to check out an interesting sight, or takes a break to have lunch during the day while traveling in the Americas - where they don't chop off hands if you are caught stealing. (The U.S. west coast police policies for theft is described as "catch and release".)

It seems to me that the aluminum expedition hard luggage used on Basanti is a much better solution for a long-distance traveler, which is why it seems to be installed on every ADV motorcycle that wants to look like it is capable of going around the world.  Besides, how are you going to cover that soft luggage with travel stickers?    ::)  Getting free stuff is nice, but after a few months on the road it might start getting a little old.  :'(

What do you think?  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:25:51 pm
Itchy Boots has just published a new video describing her new gear and luggage:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1_EecI70W0

The "Mosko moto" soft luggage really has me scratching my head. It seems very well constructed and also looks waterproof.  But it sure looks complicated to me. It is full of relatively small waterproof compartments, mounts using lots of straps and just plain looks over-engineered for usage that is going to include being removed and reinstalled every day. Plus, I am not too sure how secure it will be when Noraly leaves her bike parked somewhere when she goes for a hike to check out an interesting sight, or takes a break to have lunch during the day while traveling in the Americas - where they don't chop off hands if you are caught stealing. (The U.S. west coast police policies for theft is described as "catch and release".)

It seems to me that the aluminum expedition hard luggage used on Basanti is a much better solution for a long-distance traveler, which is why it seems to be installed on every ADV motorcycle that wants to look like it is capable of going around the world.  Besides, how are you going to cover that soft luggage with travel stickers?    ::)  Getting free stuff is nice, but after a few months on the road it might start getting a little old.  :'(

What do you think?  ???

Have you told HER?  :) :)

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 08:33:59 pm
Who finances this women? and I don't believe she does all these travels without full back up, so what's the point if you've full back up, it defeats the object of solo travel, Ted Simon comes to mind for solo travel no Youtube then to show off your latest donation from a supplier, no camera to play up to with a fresh tarted up face with lippy and eye crap. Total fraud I reckon.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:59:30 pm
            Have you told HER?  :) :)

Too late for that.  Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Besides she seems happy with her gifts and she will find out during her trip how well they work. While I do like to give advice, I don't like to throw a wet blanket on anyone's happiness - unless they are a politician, of course.  ;)

Noraly has said in the past that she is financing her travels with money that she earned while working at a former job. I guess there are worse ways to spend your money. I doubt that any company is subsidizing her travels because if they were I am sure that we would not only hear about it but also see ad stickers on her motorcycle - like there are on her new luggage.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 11:52:30 pm
I just yesterday learned the benefits of hard side cases......I had mixed feelings before.......when my Suzuki VStrom 650 fell off of the side stand and onto me as I was kneeling. The side stand is easily folded and it happened suddenly. The bike ended up resting on the left side pannier, which helped protect me and made it MUCH easier to lift the bike up, being that it weighs around 480lbs. So, I like the Mosco stuff she got, but I will stick with the AL cases on the Strom and on the Himalayan that seems to be calling my name, though it may be the new 650 Himalayan that is rumored.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 08:23:20 am
Who finances this women? and I don't believe she does all these travels without full back up,
I do, she said that she sold her house and and other stuff to finance the trip. She has said on more than one occasion the no one is financing her, apart from donations on her website from people who enjoy her videos - like me.
so what's the point if you've full back up, it defeats the object of solo travel,
As above, she's doing it because she wants to. She is only recently [since she arrived home] getting some sponsorship for her next adventure, which I hope to follow on youtube.

Ted Simon comes to mind for solo travel no Youtube then to show off your latest donation from a supplier, no camera to play up to with a fresh tarted up face with lippy and eye crap.
Ted Simon was sponsored by the Daily Telegraph and Triumph motorcycles,  probably others too. He sent in regular[ish] reports which were published in the paper.
Total fraud I reckon.
I reckon you're wrong.

Frank

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 12:19:25 pm
Who finances this women? and I don't believe she does all these travels without full back up, so what's the point if you've full back up, it defeats the object of solo travel, Ted Simon comes to mind for solo travel no Youtube then to show off your latest donation from a supplier, no camera to play up to with a fresh tarted up face with lippy and eye crap. Total fraud I reckon.

"Who finances this women"? (the singular is WOMAN). I do (as some others here do). I sent her a tank of gas three times over her trip because I think she did "one hell of a thing" !

I have watched Every Single Episode of her trip and I have seen ZERO hint of ANY back-up crew and believe me, I am the world's most cynical man. I am ALways looking for the scam in EVerything because there usually is. Not with this woman. I found no sense of scam in her. What the hell gives you the bona fides to trash this woman?? Let's hear about your latest 9 month solo tour of somewhere.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 12:27:10 pm
I just yesterday learned the benefits of hard side cases......I had mixed feelings before.......when my Suzuki VStrom 650 fell off of the side stand and onto me as I was kneeling. The side stand is easily folded and it happened suddenly. The bike ended up resting on the left side pannier, which helped protect me and made it MUCH easier to lift the bike up, being that it weighs around 480lbs. So, I like the Mosco stuff she got, but I will stick with the AL cases on the Strom and on the Himalayan that seems to be calling my name, though it may be the new 650 Himalayan that is rumored.
9fingers

That was the first thing I thought of also. I don't get her logic (because she hasn't explained it) of the soft bags over the hard cases. To me, it seems like the hard cases worked really well for her esPECially when the bike gets dropped. But she certainly outweighs me in Around The World Solo knowledge so waddoowyno?  :)

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 06:36:49 pm
Well that fired some of you up, I can't account for 9 months but I've just done 2 months around the Swiss Alps on my 16 yr old 500 Enfield. Solo... I will add and at 73 no back up, no freebies, no film crew, no selfies, just me my bike and camping gear.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 09:26:48 pm
Well that fired some of you up, I can't account for 9 months but I've just done 2 months around the Swiss Alps on my 16 yr old 500 Enfield. Solo... I will add and at 73 no back up, no freebies, no film crew, no selfies, just me my bike and camping gear.

Well done you. Why not write about it and post in the Trips/Ride reports section?

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 10:05:43 pm

So Noraly has recorded her adventure and put it on the internet for public scrutiny, but you reckon she's a fraud.
You 'say' you've done  done 2 months around the Swiss Alps on your 16 yr old 500 Enfield. Solo but with no evidence of it, and expect us to believe you?

Perhaps you should think twice before you criticise other people?

Frank

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 11:09:13 pm
Noraly has said many times she doesn't have a support crew.  Also, in many of her videos she has held her GoPro out and made 360 degree pans showing everything around her in all directions.  No where in sight is there another vehicle or person.  Just miles of vistas in all directions.

I'm sure she has used some of the gas money people have sent to her account for things like food and hotels but as far as I'm concerned, good for her.  Those funds were sent to help her in her adventure and she is using them.

As for the soft luggage, I agree with the folks who are leery of using it.  The hard bags can carry more stuff and their locks make it more secure than any soft bags can do.  If I were her, I would thank the people who donated her free soft bags but ask them if they don't have some hard bags with secure locks on them.
Richard230 is right about the thieves in the US but there are just as many of them in South America and Mexico.
Removing temptation by having locking luggage is a good thing.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 11:50:24 pm

Richard230 is right about the thieves in the US but there are just as many of them in South America and Mexico.
Removing temptation by having locking luggage is a good thing.[/size][/size][/size]

I worry about this upcoming trip way more than the trip she has just completed. And I'm concerned not about the terrain or the weather or anything other than her own personal safety especially if she manages to survive and get through Columbia and gets into Panama. Then she has to survive El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico. And that's just a good start. She then has to survive the millions of shitheads we've allowed to flourish here in the U.S.. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:53:15 pm by tooseevee »

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 09:40:38 pm
I was just thinking after reading some of the later comments that a bit of Youtube fame might bring a bit more attention to oneself but then I don't think it harmed Charlie and Ewan travel wise.

Admittedly things were a little different then though media wise. Not quite as instant as it is now. And to think it wasa not even 20 years ago. Time is moving far too fast imo lol

Not watched all the series though. I started some months ago and kinda forgot. Must return to it.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 11:34:30 pm
Itchy Boots published a new video today (Sept 15) showing the taller windshield she bought.
It looks like it should help reduce the "wind in the face" problem other riders are having with the stock windshield.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary