Author Topic: Another new 650 Twin rider in TX  (Read 2682 times)

Adeptus_Minor

• Scooter
on: November 15, 2019, 06:27:25 pm
Hey Guys!
I picked up a Continental GT 650 (Ice Queen) back in August and I've been loving it!
Like mwmosser, I'm a returning rider who's been off two wheels for a few years and it's really good to be back.

So far I've added CRG bar end mirrors and installed a DNA airfilter/intake plate.
I also have some Hagon shocks, stiffer fork springs, and the aftermarket preload adjusters from Hitchcock that I need to get installed.

Does anyone have exhaust recommendations?  I'm thinking AEW or Red Rooster, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has recommendations for pipes that are available stateside.

2019 Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 09:10:03 pm
Welcome back to the road and to RE! I am looking at bar end mirrors for my INT 650, but they're not quite as popular as they are for the Continental GTs. I still think they look good even without the faux clip-on bars the Connie has.

I'm saving up for the S&S "50-state" pipes, because they're emission compliant. I know that doesn't matter to a lot of folks, but to me it's something I at least try to keep in mind, so I'm going to go with them. If you don't care about the cats, you can save a lot of money - look at TEC Bike Parts' pipes (they have a USA store at www.tecbikepartsusa.com).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:12:30 pm by mwmosser »
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Adeptus_Minor

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 11:58:23 pm
Thanks, mwm!

So, I've been looking at all the S&S stuff.  It's tempting, but between the price on those 50 State legal pipes and all the "See a dealer" "Race Only" "Must have a valid race license" yadda yadda on their motor upgrades, I was a little put off.
It's like, are these the same guys who make parts for obnoxiously loud, super-modded Harleys?
I'm sure it's just to keep regulatory bodies off their back, but it makes it seem like it's going to be a hassle buying their products.

I wasn't initially impressed with Tec's exhaust, but the more I listen to it, the better it's sounding to me.
I'll let you guys know what I decide.  ;D

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 11:41:01 pm
Thanks, mwm!

So, I've been looking at all the S&S stuff.  It's tempting, but between the price on those 50 State legal pipes and all the "See a dealer" "Race Only" "Must have a valid race license" yadda yadda on their motor upgrades, I was a little put off.
It's like, are these the same guys who make parts for obnoxiously loud, super-modded Harleys?
I'm sure it's just to keep regulatory bodies off their back, but it makes it seem like it's going to be a hassle buying their products.

I wasn't initially impressed with Tec's exhaust, but the more I listen to it, the better it's sounding to me.
I'll let you guys know what I decide.  ;D

Sounds good! I know the S&S pipes are pricey, and the "see a dealer" bit is not much fun as I am 25 minutes through traffic to our dealer. I'd like to have them in my garage, I can wrench myself. But oh well. We'll see here as well.

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 12:42:20 am
Welcome!
I put the S&S pipes on my 650 INT, along with the DNA filter.  The exhaust choices all perform the same as far as acceleration, breathability, etc.  But the S&S, in my opinion, are worth the price in tone.  Not too much, definitely not too little.  But those are my two cents. 
Congrats on the new RE!

Mofa1952

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 02:41:47 am
Hey Guys!
I picked up a Continental GT 650 (Ice Queen) back in August and I've been loving it!
Like mwmosser, I'm a returning rider who's been off two wheels for a few years and it's really good to be back.

So far I've added CRG bar end mirrors and installed a DNA airfilter/intake plate.
I also have some Hagon shocks, stiffer fork springs, and the aftermarket preload adjusters from Hitchcock that I need to get installed.

Does anyone have exhaust recommendations?  I'm thinking AEW or Red Rooster, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has recommendations for pipes that are available stateside.

I went with AEW chrome cans, loved the sound especially on overrun.  Reasonable prices.

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 04:38:57 pm
I went with AEW chrome cans, loved the sound especially on overrun.  Reasonable prices.

Did you get the AEW off the AEW website or Ebay?
I kinda have the feeling TEC's cans are re-branded AEW.
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Rudder

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 03:06:04 am
Got the AEW EBay chrome on, cut the silencer tube back to the bulkhead connector to stop the tinny echo sound out. Sound a lot deeper now!

Adeptus_Minor

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 02:11:02 pm
Got the AEW EBay chrome on, cut the silencer tube back to the bulkhead connector to stop the tinny echo sound out.
Wow, I'm trying to imagine what that looks like!  Glad you got the sound you want out of it.
I ended up getting the Tec exhaust after all. 
I've run it both with and without the db killers. And, as much as I like the rumble, I've decided to go with the db killers in for now. 
My younger self who loved setting off car alarms with the M4 exhaust on my TL1000R would be disappointed with old, boring me. ????
It really is impressive, though, how big that little 650 can sound with unrestricted cans.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 02:32:58 pm
Wow, I'm trying to imagine what that looks like!  Glad you got the sound you want out of it.
I ended up getting the Tec exhaust after all. 
I've run it both with and without the db killers. And, as much as I like the rumble, I've decided to go with the db killers in for now. 
My younger self who loved setting off car alarms with the M4 exhaust on my TL1000R would be disappointed with old, boring me. ????
It really is impressive, though, how big that little 650 can sound with unrestricted cans.

Glad you like the TEC exhaust. Quality looks/seems ok to you?

And in most the world a "little 650" is not a little bike at all, especially in the part of the world RE calls home! I'm quite happy with this engine size, but I know we consider it a "small" bike here in the US :)

Adeptus_Minor

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 07:15:24 pm
Glad you like the TEC exhaust. Quality looks/seems ok to you?

And in most the world a "little 650" is not a little bike at all, especially in the part of the world RE calls home!

I find the fit and finish more than satisfactory.  Especially for the price and weight savings.

And I hear you.  My first bike was a 600cc I4, and from there it was mostly liter class v-twins.  Coming back to a *relatively* small displacement bike is a different experience, to be sure, but it's been mostly pleasant surprises. ????

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 02:57:46 pm
Got the AEW EBay chrome on, cut the silencer tube back to the bulkhead connector to stop the tinny echo sound out. Sound a lot deeper now!

Can you post a pic of that detail ===> bulkhead connector?
How did you make the cut and didn't that affect the location of the hanger tab on the top side of the can?
Thanks!
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager