Author Topic: VAX Interceptor 700 project questions  (Read 1063 times)

benebob

• Scooter
on: April 04, 2021, 10:30:37 pm
New to the group and recently picked up my second Enfield (bought a 18 Himalayan last spring).  She is a 61 VAX Interceptor 700 and has sat mostly complete for a number of years.  One oddity is that she is black not Chinese Red and as best I can tell there isn't any evidence of her being red originally as the only spot there might be some red paint bits is on the wheel side of the toolbox but that red looks much more like a primer then anything to me.

Anyways, I'll have lots of questions as I get things sorted and would love if anyone has a VAX to get some pictures of certain areas that I know mine has been modified over the years so I can try to bring her back to original but I do have one pressing question that will show my age to be too young to have grown up with magnetos.  She has a K2F fully manually advanced magneto on her so the gear in the timing case is a solid gear.  I did get her started last weekend and she runs pretty solid considering that was likely the first start since the US was safe from the Beetles invasion but I have had some very hard and painful kickbacks into me by the kickstarter.  I actually think the last one might have broken some bones in my foot yesterday. 

So my question is looking at the points set up on the K2F with the cap off it turns counter clockwise when cranking the starter.  Which way do I want to turn the points ring in there to retard the timing for starting? I think I am doing it right but just want confirmation as I am barely walking today. 

Also, is there a normal starting procedure for the vax?  I'm assuming basically put it in neutral, tickle the carbs 4-5 times and then retard the timing fully.  Not overly familiar with the amal but the "choke" doesn't seem to block off that much air entry but I am assuming it should be down correct? 

Thanks!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 12:05:41 am
Looking at the mag with the points cover off, to retard the timing the cam ring has to be moved in the same direction that the points are rotating, i.e the ramp of the cam ring is moving away from the contact breaker heel as it's trying to catch up with it.

RE twins have mags that rotate clockwise at the drive end, so counter-clockwise at the points end as you have seen, therefore to retard your K2F the cam ring has to rotate counter-clockwise a few degrees. On RE singles (and many other British twins), the points rotate in the opposite direction.

Yes, the choke is down (handlebar lever wound shut) for on.

A.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:07:48 am by Adrian II »
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 01:05:39 pm
The tickle plunger just gets pushed/held down until you see the flooding. These people who plunge the tickler repeatedly drive me nuts. That's not how they work.

I find my twin likes a good twist of throttle, maybe 1/8th to 1/4, to fire off.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

benebob

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 01:22:28 am
Good to be sure I'm doing it right.  Thanks.  Rechecked timing audible points tool and pretty much seems right to me.  Just about at top dead center retarded and about 3/8" before top dead center for the advanced.  Was hoping to get it running a bit more before I place the next order for parts just to make sure I'm getting most everything I need but the thing just isn't having it.  Started amazingly quick last week but trying to run it with just what's in the carb isn't going so well now. 

Sure is turning out to be an odd bike.  Seems to have the cluster from the 750 up front which I'm told came on some of the later vax but it also has the short swingarm which was supposed to be on the earlier ones.  Guessing fitting mufflers to work with the brake rod angle is gonna be difficult. 

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 12:39:26 pm
Ah yes, the rear brake rod/muffler arrangement. You can tell these bikes weren't originally designed with twin exhausts in mind! The long rod just sort of angles itself between everything and most certainly will rest against things. Doesn't look like it should work but it does.

I'm sure you can see how it runs in some of my videos. Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMoMSTzl47igkD-VnVdtwQ
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor