Author Topic: Meteor DIY  (Read 7245 times)

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Ice Queen for sale in Spain (Was: Riding my Ice Queen through Spain).

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 01:11:35 pm
That's some useful and instructional videos.

Air filter replacement.

https://youtu.be/UERG-cpbnuI

Bill, they are using your style. Are we running the company or what?!  ;)  :D ;D ;D

https://youtu.be/RAUPA27HeUk

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 01:40:48 pm
“Now carefully, fix the air filter element.”

Geez, I’m glad we got that straight!!

Looks like a candidate for the ACE/Derottone Air Kit to me. With the Air Kit,  the price of an air filter element goes to less than half of the OEM.

The opening sequence is typical with Indian TV shows I’ve seen here. Their video editors get a bit hyped with the old effects generators. It’s not often you see a spinning motorcycle.
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 12:48:42 pm
I find it remarkable how they emphasize: "You CAN make it yourself!"

The last thing I "ever" need in my life again is a crooked mouthed swedish nordic commie explaining me that changing a tyre on my own vehicle is somehow black labour and I ought to be taxed for it or something.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:12:27 pm by derottone »

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 03:56:12 am
WOW! How refreshing to see a motorcycle manufacturer sponsor tutorials for owners to properly maintain their own bikes. I grow more fond of RE everyday.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 09:28:11 am
Our Royal Enfield, Who resides in India,
Hallowed be your Name.
Your Kingdom come.
They Will be done,
on road as it is in the garage.

Give our daily maintenance routine.
And forgive us our incompetence,
as we forgive you relieving us from our incomes.
And lead us not into temptation to modify your bikes,
but free us from the evils of customising them.

Amen.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 04:09:44 pm
The swedish put it into practice, works very well. The rate of decay is staggering, you only need maybe 2-3 years to witness it.

The last four years they had it urgent, if they will back off now any time soon?

Unlikely...the proles there are still chasing that "guy" who is in control of everything and can't find him.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:38:28 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 04:25:57 pm
I have witnessed the decay over here first hand. "Sixty-two thousand four hundred repetitions" have done their work. I'm getting tired of antimasquers & antivaxxers & conspiracy buffs too lazy/distracted to do anything but unquestioningly/unthinkingly forward kak. Because of it the USA is "#1" but not in a good way. Choosing to disbelieve high school level chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, or anything outside your own skin except for what derives from a single point source of information isn't a recipe for success. It does make you controllable by that source though.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 05:11:14 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 05:41:25 pm
Choosing to disbelieve high school level chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, or anything outside your own skin except for what derives from a single point source of information isn't a recipe for success. It does make you controllable by that source though.

That's hard science, you either understand it or not. Nothing to do with believes, If you have a good teacher of those subjects he will test your understanding not if you can repeat something out of a book as is the preferred method nowadays.

Those days you can get a PhD in popular music and you become a scientist directly out of the Harry Potter book and can go on and discuss the implications of changing weather at an international stage. Sounds like a good job, where to apply? My fantasy is limitless.. ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 05:49:44 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 06:01:02 pm
Lots of folks over here blur hard science & the scientific method with magic, witchcraft & faith. The discernment mechanism seems to have failed. Attitude & belief trumps hard objective reality. I've found that physics & chemistry don't care about your attitude or beliefs, they just are what they are. It takes effort to sort out reality from perception. Apparently reality's not as "entertaining" as conspiracy mongering, witchcraft & their own unsubstantiated internal belief system.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 10:57:45 am
What I have found is that just when you think you know it all, you find out you didn't.
You never reach the end of learning.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 01:37:25 pm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:49:18 pm by Nitrowing »
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 02:10:25 pm
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/the-book-most-people-have-lied-about-reading--and-its-not-war-an/
https://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2016/0204/The-book-most-people-have-lied-about-reading-It-s-not-what-you-think.
George Orwell's 1984 came second in books most people lied about reading.

It should be compulsory in schools and before being allowed to vote.

Speaking about things that should be taught in school again: How about what used to be called "home economics" where children were taught how to balance a budget, cook their own meals and perform other tasks that they need to live by themselves, without needing help by the government? And how about learning how to drive a car? Almost every high school in California used to have a driver's education class where students could learn how to drive a car, including what were the rules of the road and why you shouldn't drink while driving. But all of those driving classes went away apparently when it was decided that everyone in the future would be taking public "mass transit" and therefore didn't need to know how to drive.  ::)  Shortly after that, automotive, woodworking and metal fabrication shop classes were canceled to make room for more "politically correct" courses that didn't need the use of creative thought and learning how to build things from scratch, instead of checking a "buy now" box on Amazon.    :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 02:30:43 pm
Speaking about things that should be taught in school again: How about what used to be called "home economics" where children were taught how to balance a budget, cook their own meals and perform other tasks that they need to live by themselves, without needing help by the government? And how about learning how to drive a car? Almost every high school in California used to have a driver's education class where students could learn how to drive a car, including what were the rules of the road and why you shouldn't drink while driving. But all of those driving classes went away apparently when it was decided that everyone in the future would be taking public "mass transit" and therefore didn't need to know how to drive.  ::)  Shortly after that, automotive, woodworking and metal fabrication shop classes were canceled to make room for more "politically correct" courses that didn't need the use of creative thought and learning how to build things from scratch, instead of checking a "buy now" box on Amazon.    :(

+1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 04:40:14 pm
Another "Reality 1A" topic might be demonstrating how compound interest works. One of out workplace students had finished working a problem I'd assigned him, then turned to me & said "That just can't be right, that's got to be illegal!"

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 08:19:16 pm
In INGSOC everything is illegal, your self appointed local "overlord" will find the appropriate punishment for you. You may find a flat tire on your car or something. Thank goodness I don't have to see that commie f@#ck off place again.  ::)

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 07:26:48 pm
Well l suppose you might think the maintenance is easy until you want to replace a brake pipe and find the main dealer is the only one with the softwhere to reprogram the abs, seems they are all heading that way now.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 11:47:27 pm
I have to say, I'm confused.
What happens if the ABS isn't connected or recalibrated? Does the brake not work or is the front wheel seized?

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 02:35:35 pm
I have to say, I'm confused.
What happens if the ABS isn't connected or recalibrated? Does the brake not work or is the front wheel seized?
If the ABS fails your brakes function normally, you just lose the ABS and the check ABS light comes on. On some ABS equipped vehicles you need a scan tool or lap top to engage the ABS "bleed mode" any time the brake system is opened up. Using the bleed mode opens the system so the ABS doesn't see an open bleeder has a broken line and shut off flow to that wheel. It's actually a bit more complex than that, dependent on the system in use, but that's the gist of it.

Not all vehicles are so equipped, I just replaced all the brake lines on my 2011 Jeep equipped with ABS and traction/stability control, (ESC) and was able to bleed the brakes just fine using the pump the pedal and open the bleeder method just like it was a 55 Chevy. 

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 11:43:37 pm
If the ABS fails your brakes function normally, you just lose the ABS and the check ABS light comes on.
I'd be chucking that in the bin.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 01:20:42 pm
I'd be chucking that in the bin.

If the ABS ever fails on my Interceptor, and requires repairs of more than few bucks, that's exactly where it's going.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 01:37:10 pm
Well now they no longer do domestic science at school think of the multi billion pound take away businesses that have sprung up because no one can cook anymore eating junk has become easy peasy.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 02:07:52 am
I dunno about the takeaway business booming, but after folks have been cooking for themselves for a year, the surviving restaurants are really going to have to up their game when lockdown ends. I've seen the shopping cart inventories change over the course of Pandemic - lots more spices, vegetables, other exotica and less "Mac 'n Cheez". People are learning from those cooking shows...!

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 05:48:43 pm
Well the Chinese takeaways have never had it so good there's a three hour wait for delivery.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2021, 06:28:37 pm
Those witches and warlocks still lurk in the dark corners of society.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 26, 2021, 09:26:54 pm
Speaking of the Chinese, I wonder how much of the government's "Stimulus" money is going to eventually end up in their hands.   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #26 on: May 16, 2021, 07:11:43 am
Speaking of the Chinese, I wonder how much of the government's "Stimulus" money is going to eventually end up in their hands.   ::)

Pretty much all of it, especially from those that shop at Walmart.  :(
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #27 on: May 16, 2021, 12:24:12 pm

A VERY large % of it (that doesn't go to union and political payoffs) will end up in China's bank account. But that's nothing unusual or "shocking". We've been financing China's multitudinous giant operations and takeovers around the world for decades and we're right back to it now. China knows Eggzacktlee what it's doing and we pay them 100s of billions of dollars a year to do it. Including the couple of dozen coal-fired power plants they build every year. And it will only get worse now. Again.

I remember this in detail, and every day since then, (I'm an incurable current events, politics, news, foreign and domestic, and history junkie) way back to the days when the Chinese were bootlegging movies and selling them to us and around the world before the movies were even in the Theaters! Our universities (especially research universities) and many other agencies are also well-stocked with Chinese staff (and "students") sending all kinds of info of all kinds back to the "mother country" every day. 

China looks at things differently than we do. Here only the next election and who do I blow or pay off to get me elected or reelected and get a committee appointment is important.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 12:28:42 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 07:02:15 pm
Apparently we need to move this topic to "Campfire Talk"...the technical portion has faded out completely.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: August 19, 2021, 03:33:18 pm
I'm going to revive the original premise of this thread by asking if anyone has the specs for valve adjustment on the Meteor?

RE requires the tappets be checked at 500km and I am approaching that and I am looking at being forced to have the dealer do it, since there are no specs available anywhere from RE, that I have managed to find yet.

Other than the usual bottom line wallet emptiers that the dealer does to pad the bill on a "500 km maintenance service" (inspect this and that and check the tire pressures), the tappet adjustment is the only real need to do item and then not again for 10,000 km, according to the piss poor owner's manual, which doesn't even show a neophyte how to change the bloody oil!
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

robitibob

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: August 19, 2021, 06:39:43 pm
hi watching a you tube video on meteor 350 feeler gauges used were inlet o.o8mm  exhaust .18mm  htttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1b4MueMK1oeptor 650
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 06:45:09 pm by robitibob »

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: August 19, 2021, 09:43:57 pm
hi watching a you tube video on meteor 350 feeler gauges used were inlet o.o8mm  exhaust .18mm  htttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1b4MueMK1oeptor 650

That URL appears to link to the 650 Interceptor and besides that, it doesn't work.

Were you in error about it being a 350 Meteor valve adjust video? If not, please post the direct link from the video. Thanks for your effort.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: August 20, 2021, 12:28:41 am
My quest for valve adjustment specs just took on new meaning. Called the dealer to ask what he wants to just inspect/adjust the valves. Around $140.00 CDN was the reply! TWO steenkin' valves, with screw and lock nut tappets no less!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:31:30 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: August 20, 2021, 07:03:41 am

I think I found that video you were referring too. The guy did a poor job of it though. Definitely not the way to use the feeler gauges properly. The fellow didn't even know, after doing the adjust, what size gauges he used, so how did he know what the setting should be?? That makes no sense.

Luckily a poster to the video checked a manual and came up with those numbers you mentioned. Intake - 0.08mm and exhaust - 0.18mm  Although, I would love to get a confirmation of those numbers from another source as well, just to be sure.

Looks pretty straightforward. Will have to discover how to get the fuel tank off. There will be wires and a hose for sure.The seat has to come off to get started.

It looks like this has saved me a $140 shop bill!  Cheers for leading me in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lsbIHuy7Fk

A wee tip for anyone going to do this little job. Run the fuel tank to near empty first. Much lighter without the fuel in it.

EDIT: Found another video that confirms those numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWb06rIqBsw
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:27:02 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride: