Author Topic: Himalayan new handlebar too high! Clutch/brake/throttle cable too short!  (Read 1992 times)

aaaaaa12345678

• Neophyte
Hello friends!

I just bought a ProTaper Evo Adventure High handlebar because it's thicker (28mm vs. original 22mm) and the riding position is better (see attached photo 1).

However after installing it I realized that these 3 cables are too short for my new handlebar:

(1) Clutch cable (left)
(2) Brake cable (right)
(3) Throttle cable (right)

Do you know where can I get longer alternatives?

I've read somewhere that the clutch cable for the Bullet 350 is 2" longer and fits well, but no idea about the other two.

Furthermore during this process I've had to disassemble the plastic box where the throttle cable is located (with the on/off & start buttons), and now I have this C-shaped standalone plastic piece (see attached photo 2) which I can't figure out where to put. Does anyone knows how to put it back?

Thanks a lot!!!

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Those are way high, you may have a real problem getting longer cables. Seems the 1" risers blocks that people install work well but you have added a lot more than 1". Good luck!
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Hello friends!

I just bought a ProTaper Evo Adventure High handlebar because it's thicker (28mm vs. original 22mm) and the riding position is better (see attached photo 1).

However after installing it I realized that these 3 cables are too short for my new handlebar:

Thanks a lot!!!

Maybe a call to SUDCO might help you?

Where are you BTW?

I know how that piece goes (had mine apart a couple times), but I'd have to be there to do it. No use saying it in words. Good luck.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

aaaaaa12345678

• Neophyte
Hey guys!

Thanks a lot for your replies :)

That piece actually goes to the handlebar's left-side box, it's a support for the choke lever. I was trying to fit it on the handlebar's right-side box (here the "start" is located), silly mistake from my side!

About the brake hose I could make a new one at an hydraulics workshop.

But I'm still missing longer throttle & clutch cables, this is becoming a real pain cos I'm stuck in Santiago, Chile in the middle of my world tour.

If I could figure out a model that fits the Himalayan from some other famous brand, it'd be great.

I'll keep searching, any suggestions will be welcome!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 06:07:53 pm by yarumo »

Ove

• Grease Monkey
These guys make to order: www.venhill.co.uk

Also: https://www.cable-tec.co.uk/applications/throttle-cables/

They may be able to point you to someone near you or Express overseas deliver?  Good luck.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Barnett will make custom cables and Galfer USA will make custom brake lines.