Author Topic: New member introduction - Hunter 350 reserved.  (Read 4817 times)

Isla

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: May 02, 2023, 10:32:58 pm
Good weather = evening bimble.

*A few bugs may have been harmed during this ride.
Living the dream 😎
Shunpike Sister riding a bronze/chrome Classic 350 called Biscuit

OscarSass

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: May 13, 2023, 10:36:55 pm
So this tank of E10 got me 90 mpg. A mix of short journeys, cruising, carving and pinning the throttle on straight sections. Not too bad.

Just over 600 miles on the clock so far. Engine has loosened up once warmed, but still feels tight when cold. Wonder if it’s the fuelling.

On the carving bit: Err… it depends on what you’re used to, but this bike isn’t a sports bike. Nothing about it makes it easy to get the right gearing and revs to tackle quick direction changes in the twisties. I’d say low speed agility is fabulous. Not sure on the higher speeds yet (the front end twitches on anything other than smooth surfaces, and I don’t trust the tyres, so playing it safe).

When pushed at lower speeds… it does understeer but it’s quite progressive/controllable IMO.

This evening’s ride took me to a cliche biker destination by the coast. A chance to bed in some sintered Brembo 07BB04SA pads, and get covered in flies. The fresh air complimented my free protein snacks. 😂

OscarSass

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: May 22, 2023, 09:52:17 pm
Latest full tank - 99 MPG. This batch of dinosaur juice was E5 (97 Ron) from Sainsbury’s, labelled ‘super’.

I’ve checked, and double checked. 194 miles travelled with 8.83l of fuel.

Mixed riding, though there was more traffic about on weekend rides (therefore doing 40mph in 5th for some periods.. but tackled some hilly terrain (some 25% hills, with hairpins).

OscarSass

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: May 25, 2023, 10:02:10 pm
After over 800 miles, it appears that the sump guard was a good idea.

Whilst it’s anodised aluminium and softer than the engine casing, I couldn’t help but notice the number of small chips/dents in it from road crud. Ignore the tar marks (tar cleans off).

I can’t imagine what that would do to the engine (powder?) coating over time.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #34 on: May 26, 2023, 12:57:34 am
After over 800 miles, it appears that the sump guard was a good idea.

Whilst it’s anodised aluminium and softer than the engine casing, I couldn’t help but notice the number of small chips/dents in it from road crud. Ignore the tar marks (tar cleans off).

I can’t imagine what that would do to the engine (powder?) coating over time.
Surprising more bikes don't have them -and easier to clean than an engine.

OscarSass

• Grease Monkey
Reply #35 on: May 31, 2023, 08:59:34 pm
It goes, and most importantly it stops.

Add-ons/upgrades:
1) Fly screen - recommended (it keeps cr@p of the instrument cluster, and makes a handy storage area.

2) Sump guard - recommended (it keeps cr@p off the engine). It needs holes drilling into it to stop water collecting in it after a wet ride (or wash).

3) Brembo 07BB04SA sintered pads - recommended. “SA” pads are for front applications (don’t get SP pads). Better bite from cold, better when warm, no squeaking that I can hear. A nice RED colour if you’re that way inclined.

4) Halfords 200% brighter bulb. On the fence about this one. It’s bright, but need to try a different brand to see if the high beam pattern is better (high beam leaves little light right in the foreground). Could be the headlight design - we’ll see. Workaround - hold the ‘pass’ switch when you need full illumination (foreground and background).

Maintenance:
1) Chain cleaning - Muc-Off chain cleaner aerosol (used with a chain cleaning brush thingy). Not recommended - it’s an oily chain cleaner, which gets all over everything. To get the chain cleaner off, you need a de-greaser. Sort of pointless?

2) Chain lubing - Gear oil (applied with a paint brush). Recommended. A bit of spatter after the first ride, then it does its job with no fuss. A little goes a long way. My bottle of gear oil may outlast the bike.

3) Oil changes - Motul 5100 15w50. Recommended. No issues, no noises, no clutch slip. Smells a bit ‘floral’ when you drain it (weird). Being paranoid about swarf and glitter, I did mine at 160, 360 and 860 miles. Overkill but it  certainly won’t hurt.

4) Tappets - as per the service manual. Recommended. Got 99mpg on my last tank. Plenty of pull in 5th gear from 50-70mph.

4) Brake bleeding - recommended. There was the odd air bubble here and there. Bought got a random ABS compatible DOT4 fluid.

5) Re-torquing engine-to-frame bolts. RECOMMENDED. All of them needed re-torquing today (the front one was at 29nm when I started tightening it) Might apply thread lock next time.

So far so good. 👍

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #36 on: June 01, 2023, 01:14:26 am

Maintenance:

1) Chain cleaning - Muc-Off chain cleaner aerosol (used with a chain cleaning brush thingy). Not recommended - it’s an oily chain cleaner, which gets all over everything. To get the chain cleaner off, you need a de-greaser. Sort of pointless?

4) Brake bleeding - recommended. There was the odd air bubble here and there. Bought got a random ABS compatible DOT4 fluid.

Just two things I would comment on here.

My experience was quite different with the Muc Off chain cleaner product. Not sure how you managed to get it "all over everything", unless you didn't employ a couple of pieces of cardboard, one between the chain and the bike and the other on the ground to catch the run off.

I saw no need to scrub the chain as the product is very much like a solvent that flushes the chain well. After a liberal application, a few shop towels wiped away the excess and the remaining simply evaporates off. Followed that with the Muc Off chain lube product, which has very little fling off.

Never heard of an "ABS compatible" brake fluid. DOT 4 is DOT 4, good for all disc brake systems. If the label says the product is ABS compatible, or synthetic, that is just marketing, as all brake fluids are a synthetic product.

EDIT:  BTW, this is not really related to the original thread topic, so a new thread would have been better to have this discussion.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 01:18:10 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

OscarSass

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: June 01, 2023, 08:23:58 am
Just two things I would comment on here.

My experience was quite different with the Muc Off chain cleaner product. Not sure how you managed to get it "all over everything", unless you didn't employ a couple of pieces of cardboard, one between the chain and the bike and the other on the ground to catch the run off.

I saw no need to scrub the chain as the product is very much like a solvent that flushes the chain well. After a liberal application, a few shop towels wiped away the excess and the remaining simply evaporates off. Followed that with the Muc Off chain lube product, which has very little fling off.

Never heard of an "ABS compatible" brake fluid. DOT 4 is DOT 4, good for all disc brake systems. If the label says the product is ABS compatible, or synthetic, that is just marketing, as all brake fluids are a synthetic product.

EDIT:  BTW, this is not really related to the original thread topic, so a new thread would have been better to have this discussion.

RE The muc-off chain cleaner: It isn’t as water soluble as they claim - it’s too oily IMO. My chain came waxed from the dealer, so scrubbing was required to get the wax/dirt nuggets off it. Front sprocket cover was caked - same deal there.

RE The brake fluid: That’s what it said on the bottle, and since we have ABS it should work. It claims superior braking but I left that bit out. 😂

OscarSass

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: June 01, 2023, 04:29:58 pm
Glad you are enjoying your new bike Oscar 😎👍
Given it'll now be running in a better state of tune with the valves adjusted, it'll be interesting to see what mpg you get on your next fill up...into 3 figures?!

So sticking with Sainsbury’s 97 (E5) got me 100.6 MPG on my last tank.

No special treatment or effort to eke out more miles out of the tank. Just riding. 👍

Is that 3 or 4 figures? 😂

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #39 on: June 01, 2023, 07:21:21 pm

That's pretty good isn't it 👍

I wonder if 97 has any advantages over 95 seeing as the engine is in such a low state of tune?
      We know the MPH reading is the usual optimistic, has anyone checked the odometer accuracy?
      I only ask as a 125 I have over reads on the speedo but the milage is spot on.

Isla

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: June 01, 2023, 07:47:56 pm

No special treatment or effort to eke out more miles out of the tank. Just riding. 👍

Is that 3 or 4 figures? 😂

If you are getting 100mpg without trying then things don't get much better really do they?!

Mine is on a tank of E10 and still pre-1st service but I will measure it at the next fill up. Have done quite a few miles 2 up so am not expecting 3 figures (unless counting the decimal too 😹)
Shunpike Sister riding a bronze/chrome Classic 350 called Biscuit

OscarSass

• Grease Monkey
Reply #41 on: June 01, 2023, 08:19:45 pm
If you are getting 100mpg without trying then things don't get much better really do they?!

Mine is on a tank of E10 and still pre-1st service but I will measure it at the next fill up. Have done quite a few miles 2 up so am not expecting 3 figures (unless counting the decimal too 😹)

It all counts!! 😇

OscarSass

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: June 01, 2023, 08:25:47 pm
   That's pretty good isn't it 👍

I wonder if 97 has any advantages over 95 seeing as the engine is in such a low state of tune?
      We know the MPH reading is the usual optimistic, has anyone checked the odometer accuracy?
      I only ask as a 125 I have over reads on the speedo but the milage is spot on.

The ODO is definitely optimistic -  they all are, but the question is by how much? I’m guesstimating 8%.

The advantage isn’t the 97 octane… it’s more the lower alcohol content that gets you more MPG.

1 litre of Alcohol, being a short straight-chain molecule, contains less energy than 1 litre of pure petrol. Benzene rings are more energy dense in comparison. 👍

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #43 on: June 01, 2023, 09:30:31 pm
The ODO is definitely optimistic -  they all are, but the question is by how much? I’m guesstimating 8%.

The advantage isn’t the 97 octane… it’s more the lower alcohol content that gets you more MPG.

Just because the speedometer is out on a vehicle it doesn't actually follow the odometer is.   As I say I have a 125 that's Speedo overeads as per normal, the odometer is pretty accurate, both checked by GPS, obviously depending how accurate that is! 

Very improbable that it would be proven but I'd put a decent bet that 97 octane costs more per mile with no difference in performance than 95, even if there is a slight advantage in mpg with 97.
     You pays your money............

ButteMT

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: June 01, 2023, 09:43:25 pm
Depending on time of year, the gas, etc. I get between 90-100MPG.
My speedo is 5MPH over true speed.  As is my son's and his girlfriend's father's.

Ride Safe 🙏🏼