Author Topic: DNA Filter  (Read 3341 times)

oldcolin

• Bulleteer
on: May 21, 2022, 12:59:23 pm
Hi

How's it going with you Meteor owners who have fitted the DNA filter.

I have only just had me first service but decided this morning to fit the DNA filter and new cover to see how it goes.  I did what others had said and let it idle for about 12 minutes.  Then took it for a ten mile run.

Initially I found that whereas I was able before to change to 5th at 40mph it now sounds as though it is labouring up until 45mph and the mirrors also vibrate more.  Same thing happens if I change gear from 3rd to 4th at 30mph.

Maybe it is just a case of taking the revs slightly higher before I change.  But it felt good before at these speeds. 
But it did seem to respond better in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  Or it could be as there is more noise from the intake that this is the norm.  It does sound good !!!!!  Maybe the slight increase in noise is confusing me.

Your thoughts please people.

Colin
Past Rides:

Honda H100
Honda 250 Superdream
Honda CB500
Yamaha Fazer 600
Yamaha XJ600

Current Ride:

Royal Enfield Meteor Supernova

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 07:26:00 am
Hello Colin,

Putting the DNA filter question to the side, as I have no experience with that accessory, I do think that you need to listen to your engine more, when it is causing the mirrors to vibrate, because it is telling you that you are lugging the engine. Focusing on the speedometer and going by the very conservative maximum speeds per gear, as given in the manual, is really not exercising that engine at all. You are doing more harm than good.

I change gears according to the sound and feel of the engine. More sound than feel really because my Meteor has very little vibration anywhere, that I have found up to 60 mph, so far. I also pull away and accelerate smartly through the gears, rather than with a low throttle/slower gear changes style of riding. One thing I hate about some cagers is the city block that it takes them to get up to the damn speed limit from a stop! >:(

However, reading your post early today gave me the thought to actually watch at what speeds I was changing at, to compare with your figures. My first ride of the season too! Wooooo-Hoooooooo!!  8)

Here's what I noted over 2 hours of riding today. Second gear is engaged at 25 mph. Third gear at 40 mph. Fourth gear at 50 mph and fifth gear at 55mph, as long as I am not going up a hill. The engine is not wrung out to the max (not full throttle) in each of these gears either, as there is still more revs to go before the engine would hit the rev limiter. I just turned over 600 miles today and that engine loves to run! It is very perky when you feed it well! ;D

You need to allow your engine to rev more for its better health.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:34:47 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

scatz

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 08:27:10 am
I'm thinking of buying the DNA filter too for my Meteor. Done around 1000 miles so far. Agree with previous post in that I think you are changing gear too early, and that would put quite a strain on the engine. Enjoy the ride  8)

Bimble

• Scooter
  • Cumbria, England
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 09:45:41 am
Another who would suggest that you should probably be revving the engine more. My gear changes mirror those shown by Dexter however I have the DNA filter and cover fitted. At these speeds and associated revs. the bike breathes well, does not lug and can even accelerate - slowly - up inclines.
RE Meteor, RE Classic 350, RE Himalayan, Ducati Monster 937, Kawasaki Z900RS, Triumph Trident 660.

oldcolin

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 12:10:39 pm
Thanks everyone.  The responses confirm my thoughts.  I have always felt that the figures in the manual do encourage the engine to labour.

I try to use engine sound and feel wherever possible.  This just confirms a few more revs would be a good idea.

When I spoke to my dealer about the second part of running in he just said gradually up the revs a bit over the next 900 miles and no thrashing it.   He said that the engines are very robust as long as they are not abused.  He insinuated that he didn't agree with the figures in the manual either, but of course he is not allowed to say that.

Thanks again, slightly more revs make happy riding !!!!!!

Past Rides:

Honda H100
Honda 250 Superdream
Honda CB500
Yamaha Fazer 600
Yamaha XJ600

Current Ride:

oldcolin

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 11:43:28 am
Had a ride out today.  Tips from you all worked OK.  More revs better biking.
Past Rides:

Honda H100
Honda 250 Superdream
Honda CB500
Yamaha Fazer 600
Yamaha XJ600

Current Ride:

Mark.Travels

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 08:04:59 pm
Installed the DNA 2-stage filter kit after my first service. Can confirm it induces positive grinning. Much more "visceral" as the RE marketing folks like to say. It does feel more responsive and peppy. Obviously doesn't give huge performance gains, but enough that this mod is a no-brainer for all Meteor owners. Also; my first post. Hey folks.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 08:09:28 pm by Mark.Travels »
2021 Meteor 350 Stellar Red

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 10:08:46 pm
Hey Mark, welcome aboard.

The minimal gain of a DNA filter, or a similar K&N filter, as perceived by some, is outweighed by the hassle of cleaning it and getting just the right amount of oil on it, by others. Then there is the never ending debate about how well these "free flowing" filters actually filter, as compared to an OEM filter. Considerations to be weighed in any decisions about installing these aftermarket parts.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:39:36 pm by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Indobiker

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 12:46:44 pm
Check out https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=31576.0  This not so old thread has quite a bit of feedback from those of us who have installed a DNA air filter on our Meteors. One thing important to note is that to obtain maximum effect, especially the sound 'upgrade', you also need to install the DNA air filter bracket to replace the OEM snorkel.
Meteor 350 Supernova Brown

markm228

• New RE & Meteor 350 Owner
  • Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2022, 03:14:52 am
Guys,

I returned my bike to stock configuration. Why? One, I was getting a lot more secondary vibrations, the high frequency ones that make your hands tingle. My hands were put to sleep! Two, the fuel and power delivery weren't as smooth; in fact, it was snatchy and jerky with the DNA filter and airbox cover. Three, I was concerned about over oiling the filter when it came time to clean it; too much oil on a reusable filter can find its way to your MAF (mass air flow) sensor, which is between the airbox and the fuel injector. A bad MAF sensor can open up a can of worms! Finally, my fuel economy is much better; I'm hitting 80 mpg now.

Unfortunately, the bike doesn't thump as well; the sound is more muted. Also, the bike doesn't pull as much, especially in 4th and 5th gears. That said, overall, I like the bike better in stock form. The bike's power delivery is more confidence inspiring now.
Previous Rides:
Motobecane Moped
Honda Expess II
Honda Express SR
1978 Yamaha XS400
1983 Yamaha Seca 750
1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2000 Kawasaki W650
1993 Honda Helix
2004 Honda Helix
2011 Suzuki Burgman 400

Current Rides:
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

oldcolin

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2022, 01:01:44 pm
Just as a matter of interest has anyone tried running the Meteor with standard air filter, but with the DNA air filter bracket.  This would allow more air in but use the standard filter.  Question is would it fit ???,  and would you still get some improvement through the gears.

Just a thought.

Colin
Past Rides:

Honda H100
Honda 250 Superdream
Honda CB500
Yamaha Fazer 600
Yamaha XJ600

Current Ride:

Bimble

• Scooter
  • Cumbria, England
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 01:33:41 pm
Hi, Surprised as these are not my experiences. No secondary vibrations and not snatchy nor jerky. Interesting to see if others have experienced this. Personally, I would not like to lose the benefits that you identify by removing the upgrade, to the extent that I would purchase a new filter if concerned with re-oiling. Interesting to see if I experience any deterioration as the mileage  increases - done about 1300 miles so far.
Guys,

I returned my bike to stock configuration. Why? One, I was getting a lot more secondary vibrations, the high frequency ones that make your hands tingle. My hands were put to sleep! Two, the fuel and power delivery weren't as smooth; in fact, it was snatchy and jerky with the DNA filter and airbox cover. Three, I was concerned about over oiling the filter when it came time to clean it; too much oil on a reusable filter can find its way to your MAF (mass air flow) sensor, which is between the airbox and the fuel injector. A bad MAF sensor can open up a can of worms! Finally, my fuel economy is much better; I'm hitting 80 mpg now.

Unfortunately, the bike doesn't thump as well; the sound is more muted. Also, the bike doesn't pull as much, especially in 4th and 5th gears. That said, overall, I like the bike better in stock form. The bike's power delivery is more confidence inspiring now.
Rode about 100 miles through the Lake District National Park yesterday - just about perfect!
RE Meteor, RE Classic 350, RE Himalayan, Ducati Monster 937, Kawasaki Z900RS, Triumph Trident 660.

oldcolin

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 05:32:45 pm
As mentioned in one of my previous posts.  The only extra vibration I get is if I try to change up when the revs are too low.  This is worse with the DNA + cover.  It does happen if I am in second approaching traffic lights slowly and then try to accelerate away.  Just have to keep the revs up a bit and it is fine.  I accelerated quite nicely up a 'hill' ( not sure what you all class as hills in your various countries.  Dexter probably only has mountains HaHaHa), today nice feeling to be able to accelerate instead of slowing down.  Trouble is I cannot remember what it was like before, but I seem to remember I struggled a bit up the same hill.  Only completed 400 miles so far.  So I am happy with the DNA plus cover.  Would be interesting if someone has tried my previous post of using standard filter with DNA cover.  Just a bit of fun.  I might try it myself.

Colin
Past Rides:

Honda H100
Honda 250 Superdream
Honda CB500
Yamaha Fazer 600
Yamaha XJ600

Current Ride:

Mr helicop

• Scooter
  • Devon UK
Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 07:09:12 am
Just as a matter of interest has anyone tried running the Meteor with standard air filter, but with the DNA air filter bracket.  This would allow more air in but use the standard filter.  Question is would it fit ???,  and would you still get some improvement through the gears.

Just a thought.

Colin

Yes I am running with standard filter with dna cover. As soon as I fitted I noticed better performance, pulls much better, acceleration has improved and I can use 5th gear more than before. I have a tacho fitted and I change up at 4500 to 5500 depending on conditions, if the mirrors vibrate i change down. The bike has now covered 1600 miles goes better than ever.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 05:33:59 pm
Yes I am running with standard filter with dna cover. As soon as I fitted I noticed better performance, pulls much better, acceleration has improved and I can use 5th gear more than before. I have a tacho fitted and I change up at 4500 to 5500 depending on conditions, if the mirrors vibrate i change down. The bike has now covered 1600 miles goes better than ever.

Have you discovered what the actual redline is for this engine - ie. when you hit the rev limiter?
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride: