Author Topic: Primary side case differences?  (Read 2674 times)

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 07:01:51 pm
Paul I am adding a photo of the blue TCI for reference.

No problem. As I said, I now have two that work well and hope I never to need to buy another. Thanks!
Paul W.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 07:17:04 pm
Seems to me with these bikes it’s a bit of a lottery what the actual configuration is depending on when and where you bought it.

I’m glad I posted this topic.

So many variations on a theme  ;D

There is another topic which may need to be discussed and that's on the alternators. some are even color coded  :D

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 07:44:04 pm
Uh-oh!  ;)
Paul W.

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 08:07:59 pm
My 08 is a kick start only , left hand shift, 5 speed , points ignition I would like the smoother "old style" cover , can it be done with left shift

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 12:36:50 am
How accurately can you drill a hole?

Redditch Bullets either have the smooth non-alternator or the early alternator "smooth bump"  alloy covers.

Most classic iron barrel Indian alternator Bullets have the smooth sort Mr_84 would like to adapt.

The "bumpy" cover first appeared for right-foot shift 4 speed models on the 535 Lightning, the early A350 AVL Machismo and the 2002-only 350 Electra. Possibly the 4 speed E/S 500 Bullets too, can't remember! Check the parts book.

The bumpy cover with the hole for the left-foot shift was used on the 5-speed K/S 350 AVL models, as well as the Sixty-5 and 5-Speed Deluxe iron barrel 500s.

Then we come to the ten hole cover, the casting has provision for a left foot shift hole, though on Paul W's (originally) 4 speed right-foot shifter 350 Electra it would have remained undrilled. The same cover WITH the hole drilled for the gear shift was fitted to the 5-speed iron barrel Electra in both K/S ans E/S form, as well as the E/S 350 AVL Machismo and Thunderbird, the 500 Electra-X, AVL Classic and A500 Machismo.  This sort has the alternator stator and TCI trigger bolted to it.

I get really bored tomorrow I'll try and get pictures of the lot!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2021, 01:11:16 am
Yes, my bike has a round “boss” cast into the primary chain case where the gear shaft would go through if it had been for a left side change bike.
Paul W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 01:08:34 pm
If you ever split the crankcases you might find an alloy boss cast into both sides of the oil tank, this was provision for boring out the through tunnel for a left-foot shift 5 speed box. Some of the later 4 speed right-foot shift 500 iron barrel crankcases definitely have this cast into in the oil tank.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...