Author Topic: Restoration 1928/9 Model 182  (Read 1276 times)

vintagebike

• Scooter
on: November 24, 2021, 09:56:47 pm
Hi,
my name is Rico, I´m from Germany and own some vintage Royal Enfields. I have a 1928 or 29 976cc Model 182 in my garage for almost 10 years now. The bike is almost complete now and the major things like engine rebuild and almost all metal works are alraedy done so i now want to start disassembling and then painting. Now my question. I´m wondering if there is a paint code for the two tank colours, I read about brunswick green and a lime green. Does anybody now a matching colour  which i can use nowadys?

Many thanks, Rico

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 12:02:31 am
You could try asking here.  :)

https://sammymiller.co.uk/

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 06:04:39 pm
Hi,
my name is Rico, I´m from Germany and own some vintage Royal Enfields. I have a 1928 or 29 976cc Model 182 in my garage for almost 10 years now. The bike is almost complete now and the major things like engine rebuild and almost all metal works are alraedy done so i now want to start disassembling and then painting. Now my question. I´m wondering if there is a paint code for the two tank colours, I read about brunswick green and a lime green. Does anybody now a matching colour  which i can use nowadys?

Many thanks, Rico

Hi Rico, this sounds like a great project, do you have any photos of the bike? Attached is a photo of our 1923 Model 180 for interest, unfortunately I do not have any paint codes for this green.

vintagebike

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 06:53:10 pm
here are some pictures of the bike:

that´s the "as bought" condition. Looks pretty nice but believe me, it wasn´t.. frame was broken 3 times, forks bent, engine complete junk, exhausts junk, primary cover missing, magneto platform on the frame was cut off, wrong engine plates...

that´s how she looks now.

Citrus

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 11:25:53 pm
If you are on Facebook - suggest you join the "Pre 1940 RE group". Somebody on there will know.
Alternatively ask the club REOC
BTW is have a 1922 180 and a 1930 K - either side of yours !

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 08:54:50 am
Beautiful machine. Where you from? I'm near Aschaffenburg.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 06:56:32 pm
There are 7 pages worth of different British Standard shades of green from this UK coach enamel supplier!

https://paintman.co.uk/product-tag/coach-enamel-green/

Possibly Mid or Deep Brunswick (Braunschweig?) Green for the darker shade, Eau de Nil or Cockpit Green for the paler shade?

Presumably they will supply customers in the EU.

I hope this is helpful.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

vintagebike

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 08:36:49 am
Many thanks so far.
I´ve already checked the british standard colours and also think that a mid brunswick green and something like Eau de Nil could be it. I already ordered some paint and will make some samples.

grumbern, i live in the north, Schwerin in Mecklenburg.

cheers, Rico

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 06:06:27 pm
Oh, well, that's a bit far for me for a short visit :o

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 09:41:17 am
Incidentally l came across some gasket compound a couple of weeks ago only £4.99 a tube, semi hardening can be applied with paper gaskets oil petrol steam and antifreeze resistant, can be cleaned off with meths makes removing old gaskets a breeze, it’s called gastite and is similar to wellseal, not an RTV so no danger of clogging oilways comes in semi liquid form and starts to cure after about 3 minutes excellent for vintage bikes.

vintagebike

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 02:14:27 pm
Hi there,
finally i made some samples of the paint.
What do you think?

Cheers, Rico

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 03:55:04 pm
Trying not to think Kawasaki!  ;D

A.

vintagebike

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 04:03:29 pm
Yeah, but you can find restored bikes with this colour and even worse..