Author Topic: Tire purchase warning  (Read 190 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 21, 2021, 02:19:43 pm
Here is an interesting post that I copied from a BMW forum:

Like you I was wondering about the tires supplies - so I ordered a set of Continental Road Attack 3's a couple weeks ago (my current favorite tire).

The front tire was built a year ago.....the rear tire came from OEMcycle was 3.5 years old - so I sent it back. I ordered another one from American Moto Tire........it was 4.5 years old and I sent it back. I ordered one from Revzilla.....it was 4 years old and I sent it back. The next (and last) tire I ordered came from Northeast Cycle Shop and was built (1318) - which makes it 3.5 years old....but I am going to keep this one and use it, as it seems like the best I can get right now. The tire warehouses are out of tires, and Continental is shipping them older tires from their warehouse........not sure why Continental didn't rotate their stock years ago and sell the older ones first (they should have sold these tires years ago).
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 03:10:29 pm
I'm sure they'll be fine. In a pinch I've ridden on rubber old enough to vote. But it wouldn't stop me pressing the seller to pony up a big discount NOT to return that elderly rubber directly proportional to the 6 year National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommended usage life of a tire, as described with many links to additional information here: https://www.wfirm.com/tires-expire-in-six-years/amp/. That is, a discount of 16% per year of a tire's age might seem fair. But I doubt I'd accept any tire with more than half its useful life squandered in some warehouse without saying something.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 09:51:55 pm
Here is a two-week old video discussing tire life that you may find interesting. It looks like most tire manufacturers say their tires are safe up to 10 years and racetrack testing indicates they are OK - if they are stored properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwbLt8vZH5w

2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 01:19:51 am
Here is a two-week old video discussing tire life that you may find interesting. It looks like most tire manufacturers say their tires are safe up to 10 years and racetrack testing indicates they are OK - if they are stored properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwbLt8vZH5w

Hmmm...some random and quite possibly self-serving YouTube video by a tire and gear vendor as presented by spokesmodel "Chad", or whomever, OR a whole series of U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports on tire age that far better support a pitch for a discount...Which to choose to mention?...Which to choose?...

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 01:35:27 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.