Author Topic: Buying accessories from India  (Read 3662 times)

BrianREH

• Scooter
on: November 19, 2021, 07:48:41 pm
Hello. I am a new member from Utah--joined today.
I purchased a new Himalayan in May. Terrific bike!
I would like to purchase panniers/racks. Looking on ebay I see that a number of places in India have the best prices.
Has anyone here living in the USA purchased REH accessories/parts from India? If so, which companies do you trust?
Thanks.
--Brian

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 10:09:50 pm
All Indian RE parts sellers on eBay with highly positive feedback and several hundred or more sales have been very reliable. Outstanding service from HCM as well.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

BrianREH

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 10:52:14 pm
Thanks, GSS, for response. Do you generally have to pay import fees or anything like that?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 02:23:59 am
No import fees in the US. Thanks.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 05:53:45 am
I've bought stuff from India. It all seems to be factory stuff (well, factory packaging anyway).
I'm in Australia so can't comment on import fees to the US.

Delivery times? Before covid screwed up India, I was getting things from India faster than I could get them from Sydney.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 12:15:53 pm
All Indian RE parts sellers on eBay with highly positive feedback and several hundred or more sales have been very reliable. Outstanding service from HCM as well.

I've not had one single problem with ordering or receiving stuff (not a huge amount) from India over the past 10 years.  My one very small "complaint" is that I wish they could get "break" & "brake" correct, but that's just me. The reason India gets a break on brakes is that it's also widely misused in my good ol' U.S. of A.. Language , grammar, syntax & spelling are in sad shape here.

Ditto on Hitchcocks. Delivery is incredibly fast & they answer questions without giving you the feeling that you are interrupting their day.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 09:45:40 am
Having recently purchased a 650 GT I can confirm EXCELLENT services and shipping from India, Inc in one case, swapping gaiters for a cover in 4 item combination. To date 10 items across 4 orders from 2 suppliers - all R.E (well packaging says so) all good quality and fast shipping to Perth Western Australia - quicker than internal here in Oz
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 10:40:38 pm

‘lo

I agree with Dickim & deux chevaux

Buying from India both RE & pattern parts haven’t been a problem

However other things you may find for other bikes/cars manufactures…some things are not quiet as well built as you would like …be aware some manufacturing techniques need a little “Quality Control”

I’ve heard of girder forks not being straight/true.

The old saying

If it’s too cheap to be true

Ya pays ya money….

Have fun

G😎
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

BrianREH

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 04:21:03 am
Thanks, everyone, for responding. I purchased official RE handguards a few days after the first responses. Good price and customer service (better than I have received locally, in some cases), and super-fast shipping. I am pleased with the overall experience.

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 07:49:01 pm
Ev’nin

Erm 😕 I fell off mi own advice 😖

I bought a rack for the Himaarlian, the PO had removed it 🤷.

Very poor finish, welding to be desired and when looking and rotating….water (I hope) came out of holes in the cross member.

Wrote with photos to the seller…..not holding me breath…..

Any way, today I got cabin fever …so let’s have a go….were the rack attaches to the frame the holes are too small for the pannier frame to attach…..So, I’ve drilled out the holes but not having a 14mm drill (tomorrow’s purchase) I haven’t finished fitment…..I’ve also decided to weld webbing into the racks frame in order to relocate the indicators…Ho hum…perhaps I should start to watch the Tele.🤪 

By the way….the adopted photo is NOT my particular rack
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 01:38:20 pm
Ev’nin

Erm 😕 I fell off mi own advice 😖

I bought a rack for the Himaarlian, the PO had removed it 🤷.

Very poor finish, welding to be desired and when looking and rotating….water (I hope) came out of holes in the cross member.

Wrote with photos to the seller…..not holding me breath…..

Any way, today I got cabin fever …so let’s have a go….were the rack attaches to the frame the holes are too small for the pannier frame to attach…..So, I’ve drilled out the holes but not having a 14mm drill (tomorrow’s purchase) I haven’t finished fitment…..I’ve also decided to weld webbing into the racks frame in order to relocate the indicators…Ho hum…perhaps I should start to watch the Tele.🤪 

By the way….the adopted photo is NOT my particular rack

I only buy genuine Royal Enfield parts #1. On eBay I only buy from top rated 98% or higher dealers 95% of the time from dealers I’ve bought from before. Never anything from China.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 01:45:15 pm by Morgan60 »
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 06:14:32 pm
I have bought from India saved a good bit of cash, but sometimes l have emailed sellers and they don’t reply to questions so l put a line through them and only deal with trustworthy sellers.

ryder@55

• Riding @ 55 and enjoying it a whole lot more
  • Neophyte
  • 2 wheels transport the soul
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2022, 03:00:47 pm
Hi, I'm Raj. I own a REH BS6 2021 model and a 2015 Classic 500 EFi. I live in India, on the outskirts of Mumbai.

Having the above 2 machines, I've purchased quite a few accessories and add-ons for both the bikes. Like quite a few members have opined, it is always safer to get them from RE (if they have it) even if it is at a slight premium. Then there are other manufacturers/providers too who sell genuinely good, well-engineered products . But you gotta know which ones and that comes through one's experience in dealing with them. While I've rarely used ebay.in for my requirements, I've found some good suppliers on Amazon.in  But being in India I have the wherewithal to conduct some due diligence and consider alternatives before spending my money.

If anyone feels I can be of help, reach out to me and I'll try me best to assist.

Cheers!

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2022, 01:35:02 am
I've found a few Indian ebay stores to be quite qood - just check their reputation first.
I don't trust Amazon at all - been burnt a couple of times.

Like all things, other people's experiences might vary with those two platforms.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 10:27:46 pm
I think some of them are very good they are official RE dealers you can cut out the middle man and save 30% for the same goods you buy here at much higher price, l list the good ones.