Author Topic: Help identifying model and wiring diagram  (Read 1732 times)

Haggistini

• Scooter
on: November 08, 2021, 06:11:23 pm
Hi
I've just purchased a strange hybrid. It's a 350 Twin spark, with carb, the frame and engine numbers confirm the 2017 date.
It's been butchered about, particularly the wiring loom. I'd like to identify the model, but more importantly I really need a wiring diagram.
The loom looks original, but the front end of the bike has been modified so the wiring for the idiot lights etc have been cut off.
The switch gear wiring colours doesn't match other models of a similar year.
Any help would be appreciated.
Norton Dominator
Triumph Tiger 1050
Royal Enfield 350 Trials custom/bodged
VOR 501 SM
Honda CB750 K0 (in kit form)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 11:38:33 pm
350 twin spark is PROBABLY an Indian home market UCE Thunderbird.

This model made the transition from a pre-unit AVL design to a UCE (unit construction engine) version.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Haggistini

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 11:19:08 am
Many thanks.
The engine looks similar, The rear brake pedal is different, mine is a huge ugly thing going to a linkage to the drum rear brake.
BTW it's 5 speed ( left hand gear change)
Norton Dominator
Triumph Tiger 1050
VOR 501 SM

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 11:44:04 am
The 2003-2008 AVL pre-unit Thunderbirds were 5 speed left-foot shift too, though none of them left the factory as twin plug models.

Here's an earlier version of the UCE variant, yours might have more squared-off rocker boxes.

http://moto.zombdrive.com/images/enfield-thunderbird-350-6.jpg

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 07:06:02 am
Some photos of your motorbike would help in figuring out what model you have, there are quiet a few 350 twinspark models that had carburetors right up to March of 2017 in India. There was a Standard 350, Electra 350, Classic 350 and the Thunderbird 350. The Standard 350 had no Electric start, came with an AC DC electrical system, heavier crankshaft and was available only in black. Electra 350 and Classic 350 are pretty much the same from an electrical point of view. Thunderbird 350 was more of the cruiser model.

Haggistini

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 02:29:13 pm
Here's a pic.
The front end is from a Husqvarna
Norton Dominator
Triumph Tiger 1050
VOR 501 SM

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 03:58:17 pm
I'm guessing that's a private import 350 UCE Bullet originally meant for the Indian home market, though a few were imported into Australia too. I'm further guessing the Amal Concentric carb was fitted by someone who didn't like the original Mikarb CV29. The exhaust looks like one of Hitchcocks' trials exhausts or an Indian copy.

Whereabouts in the world are you?

A.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 06:34:01 pm
This is definitely not a thunderbird model and since its has an electric start it will not be a Standard 350, the tank is from a Classic 350 model. The Electra 350 and Classic 350 share the same wiring harness. Coming back to color codes of the warning lights from the notes that I have taken down. There may be some differences in the colors over the years.

RH Trafficator / Indicator -Black with White Stripe
LH Trafficator / Indicator - Black with Green Stripe
Neutral light indicator -Brown
High Beam Indicator -Blue (positive terminal)
High Beam Indicator - Amber (negative terminal)

Hope this may be of some help to you. The easiest way to figure the feeds is to use a test light or a multimeter and probe the back of light socket to trace out the wire.

Haggistini

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 11:17:58 am
Many thanks for the info.
I'm in the UK.
The wiring diagrams I've found don't match the colours I have.
The bike is running, and I'm tidying  out bits as I go.
Interesting how it got an MOT with the problems I've found. :o
Thanks again
Norton Dominator
Triumph Tiger 1050
VOR 501 SM

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 06:32:38 pm
So you need a workshop manual for a 350 home market carburettor UCE Bullet. Be careful if looking for 350 Electra wiring diagrams, that model name was used pre-UCE by the factory for a variety of iron-barrel 350 Bullets fitted with CDI or TCI ignition.

As you have discovered, Bullets do fall victim to bodgers all too readily.

Despite being a US forum they do let a few of us Brits on here (I'm down South) along with a healthy side-order of Australians, some of whom, as I alluded to above, may be familiar with this model.

Now we have established that it is a UCE Bullet, not an AVL, my suggestion would be to post a new topic under the "Bullet with the UCE engine" section of this forum and ask if anyone has a wiring diagram for your PARTICULAR model. Someone might have a link to a downloadable workshop manual. Normally I'd also suggest try Hitchcocks', but they're not always too well up on models which aren't/weren't official UK imports.

A.

A.