Author Topic: Finally Happy With Fuel Line  (Read 3264 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: October 24, 2021, 04:10:46 pm
     This job stretched out way longer than it should have & has been bugging me since I replaced the shitty OEM petcock with its horrible little plastic filter bowl that was put on the AVLs & it just never took priorititty.

Back in '19 or '20 I got sick of the little plastic filter bowl on the OEM petcock. Only in a Swiss watch would you find finer threads & it was hard to prevent a leak after the first time you unscrewed it if you, godforbid, cross-threaded it. I ended up permanently sealing it on with Seal-All. Horrible  >:(

So I found a very simple, no reserve, small BST petcock with a male thread into the gas tank. I wanted the up & down dimension to be as short as possible.

After removing & wrapping the tank against damage I found I could not break loose the threaded nipple from the tank because of the rock hard thread lock used at the factory so began the nightmare of finding & ordering the correct bit to drill the nipple out with & then ordering a tap matching the threads in my new petcock to clean out & rethread the bung in the tank.

Anyway that all got done & the tank remounted with very sore hands by now & now I was left with a 1/4" barbed hose fitting at the petcock & a 5/16" fuel inlet on the TM 32.

So I was sick of f*cking with it by now & just put in a plastic 5/16" to 1/4" reducer & a tiny 1/4" filter. Looked really jerry rigged.

Thanks to my good friend Adrian, it's all looking good now. Adrian was sick of hearing me bitch about not being able to find BST fittings here (why SHOULD I?) & I was leery of ordering because you can't always believe what the ads say.

So Adrian went out & found a beautiful brass 5/16" (8mm) BST 90 degree fitting that was PERfect & shipped it to me. See? We get by with a little from our friends  :) :)   Big Public Thank You, my friend.

So now I have 5/16" hose all the way & a slick little Russell filter that perches right on the radiator hose intake. All downhill from the tank & no bubble  :)

I now have a filter I can't use. It was advertised as for 5/16" hose &, of course, when it arrived it was 1/4". Plus I didn't pay attention to the length dimension (Duh!) & it's way too big for the Enfield. Anyone want it? Mention it here - then PM me.

I found also that you must be very careful ordering things like fuel filters & any kinds of screw type hose clamps or spring clip type. So-called 5/16" Chinese hose clamps Will Not fit 5/16" ID hose. They will NOT screw down tight enough on 5/16" ID hose. Also a lot of 5/16" fuel filters are 1/4". I've even seen them advertised as "5/16 inch 1/4" fuel filers". And you can order 2 of them for the same price as 50 if you're not careful.

I got full refunds on 4 bunches of clamps (spring & screw) & 2 different orders of 5/16" filters that were 1/4".
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 06:30:32 pm
The perfect solution would have been a 90° petcock. I have seen them advertised in 1/4" BSP but I cannot remember what size hose spigot they use, MIGHT only be 6mm. It would also have helped if Mikuni had fitted 6mm hose spigots instead of 8mm (just what size of main jet did they think we'd be using?), AND their own fuel filters - think Amal or Dell'Orto with a filter in the banjo fitting.

Thank you for the kind words tooseevee, I'm glad you have something that is neat enough for you to live with, especially as I also bought a pair of those 90° things for my own bikes. If anyone else wants one for an iron barrel or AVL Classic Bullet (the Electra-X has a bolt-on petcock), let me know and I shall order some more. In case my Redditch 350 project goes Mikuni or PWK clone, I must look out for one of those fuel filters too.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 11:58:35 pm
Everything looks so brand new.  What's the yellow braided cord about?
I bought these filters for another motorcycle.  One was way too big.  The little one was just right.

2009 AVL
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 12:06:32 am by mtrue77 »
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 01:20:16 pm
Everything looks so brand new.  What's the yellow braided cord about?

2009 AVL

Everything looks so brand new because my long distance bike riding days were over long before I bought this AVL new in December of 2010. This Enfield became more of a "collected bike" than a daily, ride it to death machine. It has many many more hours of mods, improvements and tweaking than it has hours on the road. Plus I get to take out all my "detail freakness" on the Enfield & the constant fiddling & tweaking somewhat dulls the fact that my riding days are pretty much over.

The "yellow braided cord" is the HT wire to the plug from the Pertronix coil. Back in the 20's & '30s this is what a lot of plug wire looked like. It's not cloth as the original was, it's a plastic covered reproduction of the original, but I like the look & it's waterproof & you don't see sparks jumping all over the place if it gets wet like back in the olden times of points boxes & distributor caps when the rocks were being made  :) :)

You can get practically any color, any style you want now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381012259461?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=381012259461&targetid=1263433205934&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9002224&poi=&campaignid=10454522096&mkgroupid=120142078537&rlsatarget=pla-1263433205934&abcId=2146002&merchantid=6426064&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_arfsMzl8wIViq_ICh0_IgsrEAQYBiABEgKc6PD_BwE

Here's a wider picture:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 02:02:24 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 03:29:45 am
     This job stretched out way longer than it should have & has been bugging me since I replaced the shitty OEM petcock with its horrible little plastic filter bowl that was put on the AVLs & it just never took priorititty.

Back in '19 or '20 I got sick of the little plastic filter bowl on the OEM petcock. Only in a tank.

l

'

Hi Tooseevee,   admire your set up...where did you get the BST petcock?   and the Russel filter?     I have both an IB '01 and an '09 AVL project     Hope you dont mind if I copy it!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 02:26:52 pm
 Hi Tooseevee,   admire your set up...where did you get the BST petcock?   and the Russel filter?     I have both an IB '01 and an '09 AVL project     Hope you don't mind if I copy it!
[/quote]

That petcock is very easy to get.  Just go to link below:

https://www.google.com/search?channel=cus5&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=petcock+83-2800

The 90 degree barbed 5/16" fuel hose fitting in BST is a bit harder to find, however, and you're gonna hafta find that on yer own.

There are two of these petcocks (83-2800 & 83-2801). They are mirror images of each other for gas tanks with a petcock on both sides.

The vendor below looks like a good place to start for both the petcock AND maybe a 5'16" barbed fuel fitting. It looks like they have all kinds of petcock type stuff. I would CALL them and make it clear what you want.

https://steadfastcycles.com/collections/petcocks-fuel-valves-and-fuel-line?page=1

The Russell fuel filters are also easy to find:

https://www.google.com/search?channel=cus5&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=russell+5%2F16%22+fuel+filters

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 02:56:22 pm by tooseevee »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 03:44:11 pm
Matt has already been in touch with me.  ;)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 09:45:11 pm
Thanks Tooseevee...right now trying to fire up my '01 IB,   with a new TM-32.  No success.   190 main   30 pilot ,5fp17   
    then after rummaging around the garage I found that pertronix you recommended, and I bought three years ago.   Maybe this will do it!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 12:38:59 pm
Thanks Tooseevee...right now trying to fire up my '01 IB,   with a new TM-32.  No success.   190 main   30 pilot ,5fp17   
    then after rummaging around the garage I found that pertronix you recommended, and I bought three years ago.   Maybe this will do it!

My engine has higher comp than yours & better flow due to Ace headwork & Ace cannister, but just FYI, it is starting & running really well with a 185 Main, a 27.5 Pilot, stock Needle in middle notch, mixture a bit less than 1.5 turns out. And it wants NO throttle or enrichener; don't touch throttle at all. I also tried one # higher heat range a long time ago (using Champion plugs).

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 05:26:01 am

What size needle jet do you have ? If it is still the standard Q2 it will be to rich most people have good results with the leaner P6 needle jet , the 30 pilot jet is also most likely to rich. Try turning the idle up a turn to get it started these carbs seem to be delivered with the idle shut right off , TM32 is a great carb for these bikes ,good luck

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 10:47:38 am
Well l am pleased to hear you got it sorted.

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 08:42:14 pm
Thanks Carl & Adrian
..just recovered from Covid
Starting to look at my '01 again.  Had to order B8ES on Amazon.    No autoparts  stores carry nonresistor plugs

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 02:49:55 am
Hi Tooseevee, I wanted to ask you about the way you wired up the ignition coil. Is it directly wired up to the ignition coil wires on the TCI unit? Has there been any improvement with regards to the spark output? I had assumed the limiting factor would be with how many amps the TCI can put out into the coil.
 I am working on a simple circuit, for using a high output ignition coil. I am using the TCI unit to trigger a power transistor (which can handle around 15 amps) to allow the ignition coil have all the power it needs. From the zaps I have received while testing the circuit it does feel way stronger than the feeble zaps of the stock ignition coil.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 01:49:01 pm
Hi Tooseevee, I wanted to ask you about the way you wired up the ignition coil. Is it directly wired up to the ignition coil wires on the TCI unit? Has there been any improvement with regards to the spark output? I had assumed the limiting factor would be with how many amps the TCI can put out into the coil.
 I am working on a simple circuit, for using a high output ignition coil. I am using the TCI unit to trigger a power transistor (which can handle around 15 amps) to allow the ignition coil have all the power it needs. From the zaps I have received while testing the circuit it does feel way stronger than the feeble zaps of the stock ignition coil.

I didn't change any of the wiring from the way it was originally. I did replace the 12V Pos wire as far back as I could get because I already had the whole wiring harness apart from under the seat all the way to the head light (Yes, it was messy). The exact same Pos & Neg wiring goes to the Pertronix as went to the original coil under the tank.  No changes to the TCI except cutting off the sidestand connector & sealing up the bare wire ends with a dab of J-B Weld.

I don't know how strong the charge was from the original coil (one clue was how quickly the NGK plugs were fouling) and I also just wanted to SEE the coil. I think I got both the "look" and a stronger spark that I wanted. I DO have a nice bright spark with the Pertronix. I also changed to Champion plugs around this time which did away with the fouling. A lot of time has passed since this time & also there was a lot of carburetor tweaking going on at the same time.

I'm using an RN3C now, started with the 2. Also have had the RN4C on hand, but haven't had to try one of them yet. The 3 seems fine. Never fouls or goes black quickly like the NGKs (which drove me batshit for a long time before I just plain went to a different plug).     

The Pertronix coil gave me just what I wanted: an exposed, easy to "get at" coil & a nice strong spark. And they're relatively cheap  :) I get an absolutely rock-steady idle & it will idle down to the ridiculous low RPM the Indians like if I want to do it, which I don't  :), without a fart, miss or sputter.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 01:57:22 pm by tooseevee »

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 04:09:52 pm
            I didn't change any of the wiring from the way it was originally. I did replace the 12V Pos wire as far back as I could get because I already had the whole wiring harness apart from under the seat all the way to the head light (Yes, it was messy). The exact same Pos & Neg wiring goes to the Pertronix as went to the original coil under the tank.  No changes to the TCI except cutting off the sidestand connector & sealing up the bare wire ends with a dab of J-B Weld.

I don't know how strong the charge was from the original coil (one clue was how quickly the NGK plugs were fouling) and I also just wanted to SEE the coil. I think I got both the "look" and a stronger spark that I wanted. I DO have a nice bright spark with the Pertronix. I also changed to Champion plugs around this time which did away with the fouling. A lot of time has passed since this time & also there was a lot of carburetor tweaking going on at the same time.

I'm using an RN3C now, started with the 2. Also have had the RN4C on hand, but haven't had to try one of them yet. The 3 seems fine. Never fouls or goes black quickly like the NGKs (which drove me batshit for a long time before I just plain went to a different plug).     

The Pertronix coil gave me just what I wanted: an exposed, easy to "get at" coil & a nice strong spark. And they're relatively cheap  :) I get an absolutely rock-steady idle & it will idle down to the ridiculous low RPM the Indians like if I want to do it, which I don't  :), without a fart, miss or sputter.

Thank you tooseevee for your clarification, I too had been having fouled spark plugs issues. After having a look at the spark at the spark plug tip it was very weak. That's why I was looking at getting a high output ignition coil.