Author Topic: Heated gear and a 2021 Interceptor  (Read 2835 times)

bikelee

• Scooter
on: September 29, 2021, 06:01:09 pm
It's getting cold here in the Northeast USA. I'm gonna break out the heated gear. Has anybody had any problems using heated gear on their INTs such as over taxing the electrical system or draining the battery to a point where it won't restart the bike after a short break. I believe the alternator only puts out 158 watts. 
What are your thoughts ?? Thanks

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 06:50:59 pm
It's getting cold here in the Northeast USA. I'm gonna break out the heated gear. Has anybody had any problems using heated gear on their INTs such as over taxing the electrical system or draining the battery to a point where it won't restart the bike after a short break. I believe the alternator only puts out 158 watts. 
What are your thoughts ?? Thanks
I used my E vest and E Chaps last year on my 2020 INT. No issues. Volt (on board) never varied when turning them on and off.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 07:54:02 pm
I have a Gerbings jacket and gloves, and have used them for the past two winters without any issues at all. I wouldn't however have them on and let the bike sit idling for any extended period of time, as the battery light comes on when I do. But on the road, there's no problem.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 02:34:07 pm
Anyone tried the various portable e-clothes, the kind with the battery packs? They seem pretty interesting. A vest can be powered by a battery pack for enough hours to enjoy a good ride, I would think.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 05:04:41 pm
Anyone tried the various portable e-clothes, the kind with the battery packs? They seem pretty interesting. A vest can be powered by a battery pack for enough hours to enjoy a good ride, I would think.
I got a battery e-vest for my occasional passenger a couple of years ago (3 or 4ago). The performance was punky at best compared to my plug in. Batteries and vests may have improved since. But I do remember feeling embarrassed when I re-read the brochure and spotted that the described use time was at 25% heat setting.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 05:14:48 pm

I've had a cheap one from ebay that's run off a usb power bank. It works great for a while but cuts out after an hour or so, strangely not because the power bank is exhausted. Still, I'll always bring it with me on a day ride in winter.

When I retire and as energy prices increase I'm going to wear it round the house  :-[

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 05:20:23 pm
I've had a cheap one from ebay that's run off a usb power bank. It works great for a while but cuts out after an hour or so, strangely not because the power bank is exhausted. Still, I'll always bring it with me on a day ride in winter.

When I retire and as energy prices increase I'm going to wear it round the house  :-[

Good to know. I'm sure the tech is not very high-end, certainly not up to the standard of plug-in stuff. Luckily we only have a few really cold weeks down here.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 12:17:01 am
I had to do a small repair job in Hoboken this morning so I decided to try out my new Gerbing jacket liner and gloves by making a longer ride of it and continuing up to the Palisades when I finished.  It was in the mid-forties (around seven Celsius) and a little windy and I was cozy but felt thoroughly maladroit, like tying my sneakers with mittens on.  Where's the turn signal switch!  Where's the horn button!  Imagine learning to dive in the Bahamas then taking a plunge into the North Atlantic in a dry suit and full gear.  (I'm exaggerating for effect but I felt like I'd taken a large step back in confidence and control over the bike.)  I can see now why people prefer heated grips, though I hate extraneous crap on my handlebars and heated grips do nothing for the tops of your hands.  (Putting aside the extraneous crap involved in wiring yourself to a 12v battery.)  Do heated gloves soften up after awhile?  I imagine not so much since they're laced with stainless steel. 

I suppose the gloves would be fine on a cruiser where you point the bike in a straight line and activate cruise control.  For urban riding I think I'll stick to deerskin and warm my hands on the engine when I stop for red lights.  I'll save the heated gloves for when I buy a Nomad.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 12:38:27 am by Blazes Boylan »

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 12:45:04 am
I'll save the heated gloves for when I buy a Nomad.

Or for when you get the snowblower out!  ;)
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 01:05:47 am
I had to do a small repair job in Hoboken this morning so I decided to try out my new Gerbing jacket liner and gloves by making a longer ride of it and continuing up to the Palisades when I finished.  It was in the mid-forties (around seven Celsius) and a little windy and I was cozy but felt thoroughly maladroit, like tying my sneakers with mittens on.  Where's the turn signal switch!  Where's the horn button!  Imagine learning to dive in the Bahamas then taking a plunge into the North Atlantic in a dry suit and full gear.  (I'm exaggerating for effect but I felt like I'd taken a large step back in confidence and control over the bike.)  I can see now why people prefer heated grips, though I hate extraneous crap on my handlebars and heated grips do nothing for the tops of your hands.  (Putting aside the extraneous crap involved in wiring yourself to a 12v battery.)  Do heated gloves soften up after awhile?  I imagine not so much since they're laced with stainless steel. 

I suppose the gloves would be fine on a cruiser where you point the bike in a straight line and activate cruise control.  For urban riding I think I'll stick to deerskin and warm my hands on the engine when I stop for red lights.  I'll save the heated gloves for when I buy a Nomad.
8) Knowing what a aggressive "accessorizror"  you can be ... maybe a set of winter handlebars and summer handlebars?  ;)
If you are going to ride in the cold it is very hard to beat the Oxford heated grips. Add some version of "hippo-hands"  then you can use your summer gloves.   

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 01:41:25 am

I use the hotwired gloves and they definitely add bulk, but less so then a pair of winter gloves. It’s not as ergonomic as riding with thin gloves, but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 02:53:45 am
I use the hotwired gloves and they definitely add bulk, but less so then a pair of winter gloves. It’s not as ergonomic as riding with thin gloves, but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

You make a good point.  To return to my diving analogy, in high school I worked in a dive shop where I was taught that you shouldn’t be overly attached to your gear; you should strive to be a good diver under any circumstances, with any equipment.  Riding with heated gloves I ran straight into the limits of my comfort zone.  I can either accept that or work through it.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 03:00:32 am
You make a good point.  To return to my diving analogy, in high school I worked in a dive shop where I was taught that you shouldn’t be overly attached to your gear; you should strive to be a good diver under any circumstances, with any equipment.  Riding with heated gloves I ran straight into the limits of my comfort zone.  I can either accept that or work through it.

Hey I get it. A couple years ago, before I even knew of heated gear, I got a brand new pair of winter gloves and set out on an October evening ride. I made it to the end of my street and turned back. I just wasn’t comfortable with them on and couldn’t feel the controls.

Jared_Lee

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 07:17:27 pm

I hear you. I felt the same on my first ride. But just like a new bike with different peg ergos, you miss some shifts and feel all fucked up for a ride or two when trying to figure out your feet, rear brake, etc. and then you acclimate and forget you ever had a problem. At least that's how it was for me.

Charleetho

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 07:21:00 pm
I did some heated gear / charging system testing today. 2019 INT 650

I did some voltage testing all done with my $7 hobo freight multimeter, headlight on low beam

Bike off, static voltage check = 12.97v
Bike Idling = 14.2v
Bike 3,000 rpm = 14.3v
Bike idling 90watt heated jacket liner full heat load = 13.9v
Bike 3000 rpm 90 watt load = 13.94v
Bike idling, 90watt jacket, 26(guess) watt heated gloves on high = 13.7v
Didn't check at 3,000 rpm. If it is consistent with the above results, figure 13.8v
So, all good using the heated gear and not killing the battery. I almost never run full heat.  8)

Lets see if I can calculate the watts to run the bike. Watt estimates from the small engine shop website.

Headlight - 55w
Tail light -15w
Instruments - 3w
Fuel Pump - 60w
ECU - 25w
Ignition - 50w

Total 208 to run the bike!  :o Add in brake light and or high beam we are pushing 228w
That can't be correct or I would not have seen 14.22v at idle. I would have been drawing off the battery.
Add in my heated gear and we are at 324w. Far above the 159w in the owners manual.

I wonder if the 159w in the owners manual is the extra capacity above what the bike is needing at idle? If that was true, 208+159= 367watts/27amps. Pretty consistent with other fuel injected 650s. New KLR is 360w. V=strom 360w.  ???