Author Topic: Forum headings will hopefully soon be needing some changes.  (Read 1945 times)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
The Indian moto media has been steadily disclosing "spy shots" of new RE models being tested.  There will be almost certainly shortly be born a 650 Cruiser, and a 350 Classic, and more, perhaps a scrambler and another adventure bike.  RE has trademarked various names, including "Scram", "Shotgun", "Sherpa", "Roadster", and "Hunter".   

I could pull out my crystal ball and guess at what might emerge as what, but the real point is it seems clear that we aren't far away from needing changes to the Forum headings, to accommodate new models with 350cc "J" and 650cc "P" platform engines, of which it appears there will be several.

My suggestion would be to:
-   Fold the 535 Continental GT into the 500 UCE, and expand the heading of that folder to also include 350 UCE models, for those of you, not in the USA, who have had access to those machines all along.
-   Rename "350 Meteor" to something like "J platform OHC engine", to include the Meteor, the new Classic, and others that will emerge, including, quite possibly, some 500 cc variants.
-    Rename "650 Twin - Interceptor/GT " to something like "P platform 650 twin engine", to include the Interceptors, the 650 Continental GTs, the upcoming 650 twin Cruiser, and not unlikely a 650 cc Classic and Roadster.
-   Arguably the AVL / Electra X could be combined with the Iron Barrel, since the action on these topics is likely to be limited going forward, but, from an engineering perspective, they are unique models.

With what RE is doing, (which makes good sense from an engineering cost management perspective), focusing on the engine design/ size and following RE's disclosed "platform codes" to create new Forum headings, in my opinion, will give good service over the long run, keep things simple, and keep future changes to a minimum.

https://www.autopromag.com/new-royal-enfield-platforms/

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 01:28:02 pm
I'd prefer to keep the AVL/Electra-X separate for now, even though I like hybrid AVL engines in iron barrel Bullet crankcases.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 01:52:07 pm
I'd prefer to keep the AVL/Electra-X separate for now, even though I like hybrid AVL engines in iron barrel Bullet crankcases.

A.

While I agree that a little tweaking to embrace the new models may be in order as they roll out, I concur with Adrian II that the AVL/Electra should continue to have their own distinct section moving forward, if only to preserve better searchability of its past postings. I'd also lean towards the same conservation of a separate "Continental Singles" area instead of folding into the larger UCE section, if only because of their many distinct features and fixes.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 11:27:43 pm
A tab for each model seems simple enough, it's all electronic anyway. Just scan down until you find your flavor, like we do now. R.E. isn't Honda, there likely won't be more than 20-30 total "variants" ever. When you start clumping categories, the knowledge requirement on the user end goes up. The new Meteor folks won't know "J" engine, just their bike's name. Keep it simple & attract the new folks so the Forum grows. It'll just be the US release models anyway - we don't have a Thunderbird section, right? The US is a small part of RE's sales, lots of their stuff will never make it here.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 05:56:11 pm
A tab for each model seems simple enough, it's all electronic anyway. Just scan down until you find your flavor, like we do now. R.E. isn't Honda, there likely won't be more than 20-30 total "variants" ever.
I'd balance the desire for "simple" against useful, and carefully consider a few things,

-   More than a dozen or so headings, is daunting.  It's quite observable how few visitors we get to those sections of the forum that require scrolling, vs those that are up at the top of the forum.  This is likely why we see general topic postings in the specific model areas now.    Folks access in all sorts of ways, including on their phones.   Less is more.
    -   Newcomers, and those who are less knowledgeable, don't know which heading is appropriate, more headings will make this worse.  This is why we already see postings regarding 650 Conti. GT appearing in 535 Conti GT area, postings for India Electra models appearing in AVL / Electra X, postings for IB models appearing in UCE, and so on.  More headings will result in more mistakes.  Better, in my opinion, to have fewer headings, and include fuller descriptions of what that heading includes.  For example, the subtext for "Bullet Iron Barrel" could say, "Includes Bullet, Electra, 65 and other models, 350 and 500 cc, prior to  2007, with Cast Iron cylinder", instead of "Forum for the discussion of Iron Barrel Bullet Models"
    -   The forum was previously explicitly USA focused, but that was given up several years ago.  We have members worldwide, including in India, and should anticipate and provide for their participation.