Author Topic: E-Bike developments  (Read 109228 times)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #300 on: November 23, 2021, 05:00:35 pm
A buddy of mine was telling me that he is waiting for this package to pass, so he can get money to replace his water and sewer pipes.

I'm more interested in 33% off on a new E ride.    https://electrek.co/2021/11/20/tax-credits-jump-to-1500-for-e-bikes-7500-for-electric-motorcycles-in-build-back-better-act/

I think i wait a little more until i get an e-ride for free, because in the future you will own nothing and be happy about it. Than i put the EV in my collection of obscurities.  ;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #301 on: December 03, 2021, 02:21:10 pm
Here is a new e-bike for you. Just don't ask me where they hid the battery. Perhaps the scooter is Fred Flintstone foot powered?  ::)   https://thepack.news/have-fun-working-in-2022-with-nitos-new-scooter-cargo-share/
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #302 on: December 03, 2021, 03:24:25 pm
Here is a new e-bike for you. Just don't ask me where they hid the battery. Perhaps the scooter is Fred Flintstone foot powered?  ::)   https://thepack.news/have-fun-working-in-2022-with-nitos-new-scooter-cargo-share/

That's something for Pepa Pig definitely. Maybe with a pedal generator, a chain to the backwheel is too old school. Than we talk efficiency.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #303 on: December 03, 2021, 03:33:57 pm
Here is a new e-bike for you. Just don't ask me where they hid the battery.
I would guess that the cells are inside the bottom deck, where the weight will be helpful in lowering the CG and promoting stability.

For something more traditional looking, how about the Maeving RM1?:    https://news.in-24.com/sports/motorbike/199099.html

Its specs. are not particularly impressive, but they did manage to make something that looks, to my eye, very pleasing. 

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #304 on: December 03, 2021, 05:21:04 pm
So many 'designers' need their crayons removed, if not their fingers  ::)

These 2 don't look as atrocious...

The Pursang and the RGNT
https://www.ecenter.network/pursang-motorcycles
Pity about the built-in genital mutilation device on the Pursang  :o

https://www.ecenter.network/rgnt-motorcycles

No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #305 on: December 17, 2021, 02:09:26 pm
Here is an Italian electric motorbike startup concept with an electronic power controller that mimics a manual transmission which is looking for investors. The article includes a slick introduction video:  https://thepack.news/the-new-italian-electric-motorcycle-manufacturer-scarponi-motorcycles-launches-its-new-range-of-electric-motorbikes-on-indiegogo/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:20:42 pm by Richard230 »

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #306 on: December 17, 2021, 07:05:54 pm
It would have been better to have added a motorcycle gearbox in the first place to begin with, while it would add a little bit of extra weight, It would allow the motor to run under less stress and by dropping down a gear or two while going down hill it would make the regenerative braking more efficient and controllable compared to a fixed ratio electric motorcycle especially on wet roads. Having an overdrive would also allow the motor to run at a comparable top speed but without having the battery deplete its charge rapidly.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #307 on: December 18, 2021, 04:14:08 pm
A gearbox is just dead weight for an electric vehicle. Especially on a bike.

The battery depletes its charge according to the used energy. A gearbox does not change it , it adds energy loss in the system.

Look at the Porsche Taycan. It has a 2 step gearbox. And it looses against the tesla Plaid in every way.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 04:17:07 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #308 on: December 18, 2021, 05:53:01 pm
A gearbox is just dead weight for an electric vehicle. Especially on a bike.

The battery depletes its charge according to the used energy. A gearbox does not change it , it adds energy loss in the system.

Look at the Porsche Taycan. It has a 2 step gearbox. And it looses against the tesla Plaid in every way.

In theory it can be proved without a doubt the gears would have a lot of disadvantages. But consider a real world application of a single speed bicycle and a 21 speed bicycle, why does the 21 speed bicycle climb up hills better have a higher top speed and the rider has less fatigue than if the same rider was riding a single speed bicycle.
 With 21 gears we are adding more weight, more friction, more maintenance, more expense and more moving parts so in theory it should be a disaster but in reality its not.

Add a 250 watt mid mount motor driving the rear wheel of a bicycle with a 7 speed cassette gearset and a hub mounted 250 watt motor, eliminate the rider input via pedaling . The hub mounted motor is going to have better acceleration but its not going to have the range of the mid mounted motor since it has 7 different speed options. What happens in the situation when the bicycle with the hub mounted 250 watt motor is going to uphill? The battery is just going to deplete faster, the same happens when the bicycle with the 250 watt hub mounted motor is pushed to its legal top speed.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #309 on: December 18, 2021, 06:54:19 pm
A bicycle has a very rev range limited motor though - you. Typical cadence lies between 30 to 90 rpm where a typical sob averages max continuous power of 150Watt at approximately 60rpm. Kinda constant speed motor which needs many gears unlike an electric machine, that may need a gear but only for a good startability, the rest is a job for the vfd.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #310 on: December 18, 2021, 10:29:08 pm
However, the subject electric motorbike does not have an actual gearbox. It has a computer program that mimics the feeling of a gearbox. I have my doubts how useful that is to the rider as it sounds like it will just modify the motor's output depending upon the activation of a button.  ???

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #311 on: December 19, 2021, 04:22:25 am
However, the subject electric motorbike does not have an actual gearbox. It has a computer program that mimics the feeling of a gearbox. I have my doubts how useful that is to the rider as it sounds like it will just modify the motor's output depending upon the activation of a button.  ???

Audi tried something like that with their CVT's and programmed about 6 or 7 steps in that gearbox. Probably better than the rubber band feeling it would otherwise have, nevertheless it wasn't of any major market success, soon after that DCT's came out and the CVT's were dropped.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #312 on: December 19, 2021, 05:34:38 am
Mini Cooper equipped CVT models too had a similar feature where the "shift points" needed to be calibrated and there is a detailed adaptation process that needed to be completed should the battery had gone flat.
 It involved going through a process of intialization of the adaptation process then taking the car on the road and accelerating to 55mph and let the car coast down to a near stop without the brakes being appied. This can only be done when the engine has cooled down, which meant if by any chance the brake was applied before the car coasted to a near stop, the whole process had to be redone after the engine cooled down.

The procedure also includes a warning that says on higher mileage cars there is a risk damaging the transmission.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #313 on: December 19, 2021, 01:37:38 pm
Mini Cooper equipped CVT models too had a similar feature where the "shift points" needed to be calibrated and there is a detailed adaptation process that needed to be completed should the battery had gone flat.
 It involved going through a process of intialization of the adaptation process then taking the car on the road and accelerating to 55mph and let the car coast down to a near stop without the brakes being appied. This can only be done when the engine has cooled down, which meant if by any chance the brake was applied before the car coasted to a near stop, the whole process had to be redone after the engine cooled down.

The procedure also includes a warning that says on higher mileage cars there is a risk damaging the transmission.

That initialization process doesn't seem to be something that most vehicle customers would embrace if they had to do it themselves and even less so if they had to pay their dealer to do it.  ::)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #314 on: December 19, 2021, 01:50:02 pm
That initialization process doesn't seem to be something that most vehicle customers would embrace if they had to do it themselves and even less so if they had to pay their dealer to do it.  ::)

It's crap, however more and more companies engage in selling service plans and obstacles like that since the margines on their products are often very slim. Im sure AzCal can give some interesting story to it since it's common practice and makes sense with industrial equipment such as steam or gas turbines for power generation.

Now we have companies around that will sell you an vacuum cleaner and try to push a service plan on you. That would IMO leave anyone wondering if there is something wrong with that product, however some people seem to be still buying into it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 01:54:48 pm by derottone »