Author Topic: Dan Holmes  (Read 12013 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
on: October 02, 2020, 06:49:25 pm
It is with a heavy heart that I bear the news of the passing of Dan Holmes. He had a heart transplant last night and did not survive. Dan was one of the original RE dealers in the US. Located in Goshen IN he was known as the "go-to" guy for technical help. He was a first-class dealer working out of a small shop next to his home. He was a racer all of his life and campaigned an RE Iron Barrell and won the number 1 plate for the season in the AHRMA flat track class. Conventional wisdom was that RE could not compete with the BSA's, Norton's, etc. He put together the first team to run a Royal Enfield at Bonneville.  An Iron barrel to boot. I was one of many sponsors and had the time of my life with Dan and the other members of the team. He was racing right up to the end. A very kind man who will be missed.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 10:37:45 pm
Sorry to hear it!
Thanks, Kevin.  :(
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 02:45:39 pm
He will be missed!

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 08:38:48 pm
I just saw this post, Dan  was a real inspiration, he helped with many tech tips on the iron barrel, great guy for RE knowledge.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 10:41:34 am
I hope nobody minds but l thought l would just like to say a few words for my friend Tony Ablett who used to build race track bikes and race them, as well as ride Royal Enfield in the 70s, l found out he suddenly died three weeks ago he had heart problems as well, Tony was a good friend and auto engineer who taught me a lot, who l have known for 45 years he was also a summer riding buddy, not being very large fellow he always came along and helped me launch my boat from the beach in the 70s to which l then took him fishing and rewarded him with bags of fish he was just building a 125 race track bike which he sadly did not get to finish albeit he had built many in his time, motorcycles were in his DNA like many of us, very sadly missed life is just to short, I placed this in Dan’s section because they had a lot in common so it seems, l felt l owe it to him to leave a permanent reminder a very good friend.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 11:02:43 am by Carl Fenn »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 06:59:50 pm
Though I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I'm sorry to hear of his passing. He was frequently featured on David Blasco's wonderful blog: https://www.royalenfields.com/search?q=Holmes
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.