Author Topic: Yahoogroups Shutting Down  (Read 2192 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
on: October 22, 2019, 05:18:57 am
I was saddened to learn today Yahoogroups, the playpen of fringe interest forums, including the once popular Royal Enfield Group, is going belly up very soon. According to the Ars Technica  article, "Yahoo is deleting all content ever posted to Yahoo Groups", one has until December 14th to download files before everything's permanently blasted into the aether.

Aside from lamenting the permanent loss of all those accumulated photos, searchable tips and other musings of 2,578 members since 1998, those who once were active there might wish to take a little time before the lights are shut down forever to browse through some of the items in its "Files Section". There are some real jewels there to be salvaged, including Royal Enfield catalogs and brochures galore from the '30s, '40s and '50s, an historic interview with its chief designer, R.A. Wilson-Jones, about the then-new Bullet engine published in '54 in The Motor Cycle, a full PDF of Keith Hamilton's memoirs, Motorcycle Days, everything you'd ever want to know about sidecars in Hal Kendall's 130 page manual, etc., &c., et cetera. In short, there's a lot there to be missed.

Full disclosure: I've had a jaundiced view of Yahoo since they bought and then shut down the old Geocities free website service after hamfistedly fucking it up. In a way I'm sort of glad they're at last circling the bowl in the very same leaky Oath subsidiary boat as Verizon's other ugly red haired stuttering stepchild AOL. I remember Yahoo when it was still hosted under the Stanford.edu domain. It kinda sucked then, and it just never quit sucking.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 05:41:26 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:50:26 pm
I have some server space I'll see what I can to about preserving the content. In mothballs is better then firebombed.
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 02:49:01 pm
I was saddened to learn today Yahoogroups, the playpen of fringe interest forums, including the once popular Royal Enfield Group, is going belly up very soon. According to the Ars Technica  article, "Yahoo is deleting all content ever posted to Yahoo Groups", one has until December 14th to download files before everything's permanently blasted into the aether.

Aside from lamenting the permanent loss of all those accumulated photos, searchable tips and other musings of 2,578 members since 1998, those who once were active there might wish to take a little time before the lights are shut down forever to browse through some of the items in its "Files Section". There are some real jewels there to be salvaged, including Royal Enfield catalogs and brochures galore from the '30s, '40s and '50s, an historic interview with its chief designer, R.A. Wilson-Jones, about the then-new Bullet engine published in '54 in The Motor Cycle, a full PDF of Keith Hamilton's memoirs, Motorcycle Days, everything you'd ever want to know about sidecars in Hal Kendall's 130 page manual, etc., &c., et cetera. In short, there's a lot there to be missed.

Full disclosure: I've had a jaundiced view of Yahoo since they bought and then shut down the old Geocities free website service after hamfistedly fucking it up. In a way I'm sort of glad they're at last circling the bowl in the very same leaky Oath subsidiary boat as Verizon's other ugly red haired stuttering stepchild AOL. I remember Yahoo when it was still hosted under the Stanford.edu domain. It kinda sucked then, and it just never quit sucking.

I'm glad I've never had anything to do with many of them: Yahoo!, AOL, Messenger, Facebook, Twitter, Twatter, Yammer, Stammer or SmartPhones or cell phones in general. STill don't have one :o :o :o  Still have an answering machine and NEVER pick it up 'til I know who it is. This is now the ONLY "forum" I belong to.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:15:56 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 05:32:31 pm
Sorry to hear you don't have a cell/smart phone tsv. Just think of all the "entertainment" yer missing in the form of misdialed calls from drunks, charity request/scams, recently-expired warranty extensions for your vehicle, credit card debt solutions, threats from phony IRS agents, and last but not least...debt collection agencies who bought a bad debt from someone who used YOUR # to open an account somewhere.  ;)
Ain't technology great!  ::)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:48:46 pm
Here is my smart phone.   ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 01:22:11 am
Sorry to hear you don't have a cell/smart phone tsv. Just think of all the "entertainment" yer missing in the form of misdialed calls from drunks, charity request/scams, recently-expired warranty extensions for your vehicle, credit card debt solutions, threats from phony IRS agents, and last but not least...debt collection agencies who bought a bad debt from someone who used YOUR # to open an account somewhere.  ;)
Ain't technology great!  ::)

I get ALL that crap!!  >:( >:( But I don't ANswer the phone  :) :)

Most RoboCalls detect the answering machine and immediately click off. All I hear is a beep.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 01:26:03 am
Here is my smart phone.   ;D

Believe it or not we have one of those. It sits on a shelf waiting for the answering machine to shit the bed. We then use it until a new ans mach comes from Ebay.

My phone bill's $27 a month.