Author Topic: Kickstarting advice  (Read 28921 times)

deejay

Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 02:59:34 pm
You just jinxed yourself, kiwichick... my bike was starting 1st kick cold for about a week, until I mentioned it on the forum. Now its a 3 kick bike. Oh well.... as long as it starts! ;D

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 03:52:26 pm
I don't know what you all are doing to break bones with kick starting.  I have always just given one smooth kick and she has started.  Hardly any effort at all in pushing the kick around.  As Tiny Tim mentioned when working on it I've been able to use my hand to start it with the kick.  Even the old P.O.S. Honda I used to ride would kickstart without ever kicking back and I always has to spray starting fluid in that engine until she warmed up to get her to run.  The only trouble I ever had kick starting was when I wear my boots with leather soles they tend to slip off the kick when wet.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 04:50:46 pm
If the timing is out, the back can kick back.. violently. You have thus far, been lucky.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

faltnerc

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 06:41:57 pm
It is difficult to find the TDC in compression stroke at the Electra engine. Due to the electronic ignition the amp meter will not even make a move when reaching ignition point. If you have reached compression stroke you also cannot use the decompressor, because it is none, it is a valve lifter, but you cannot open the exhaust valve against valve spring pressure with this tiny little "lifter". You can only keep it open if it was opened, but then you cannot find the compression stroke because you can feel no resistance at the kickstart now.
So you do not need the amp meter and the "decompressor" to start your Electra:
The best way to start:
1)Kick until you feel strong resistance under your kick start lever.
(The sprag clutch will make a little noise like "krrchhh" when engine turns back a little)
2)Kick gently but resolutely against this resistance until you moved the lever a little down, but not too much.
You should have reached now the piston position shortly after TDC.
4) Now you can either press the electric start (The sprag clutch has time to catch the outside wheel and get in drive without great resistance) or let the kick start lever come up and give him a certain swinging kick.
After 10000 km with my Electra I have found out that these are the best methods to start it.
Kind regards
Christian

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 12:55:08 am
Thx Christian!
As a new rider,,,just done 500 kms,,,I am now able to kickstart the bike off the center stand, even when cold, but I find that it is indeed easier to move past TDC by using the decompressor lever. The next time out I will try doing this without that, because my one concern about the decompressor is it sticking in the open position.
But if you prime the bike right, it does start with one kick.
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 01:25:43 am
Here's my Electra X routine:

Part one: Prime it, lube it, massage it, whatever you want to call it:
- Engage choke or enrichener as appropriate
- Rotate kick start lever until you hit compression (e.g., it STOPS)
- Apply pressure to the decomp lever as you carefully press/kick through the compression - stopping as soon as you feel it go over and the decomp lever also moves down
- Continuing to hold the decomp lever, kick through the engine 5 or 6 strokes (tickle the carb first - if you're running an Amal as I am)
- Release the decomp lever

Part two: Start it (AKA do it all over again)
- Rotate kick start lever until you hit compression
- Apply pressure to the decomp lever as you carefully kick/press through the compression - stopping as soon as you feel it go over and the decomp lever also moves down
- release decomp lever and allow kickstarter to come back up (tickle the carb again just to humor the bike)
- Take up slack in throttle cable - or even open it just a hair (if you're running an Amal)
- Kick that sucker through
- Repeat Part two as often as is necessary (usually 1-3 kicks do it for me. However, you have to at least *pretend* frustration - the engine can sense these things...)
- If the above does not work: curse and use E-starter 

Matt

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: November 17, 2007, 03:02:29 am
- If the above does not work: curse and use E-starter 

I have to confess to having done this a few times as well!!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #37 on: December 08, 2007, 03:56:11 pm

Thought that some of you might find this excerpt from my Owner's Manual amusing.

When it says "repeat ... with a lttle more ignition advance" what they really mean is "don't give it too much ignition advance or it will blow your leg off".

If nothing else it provides a very good demonstration of the effect of incorrect ignition timing on kickstarting.

Always kick with the ball of your foot, not the instep.  It may save you a broken ankle one day (ask RagMan).

(Tried to post an image into this e-mail but I'm not sure if it will come out so I attached it too)

[old attachment deleted by admin]
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 10:11:52 pm
Yes... Kickstarting can break your ankle - broke four bones in my foot in the summer - now better, but too cold, slick and snowy to ride.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 02:57:58 pm
I had the worst time trying to kick start my 500 Bullet Classic for the first two weeks. Thanks to this forum, I now follow this method and it's so easy to start from cold on the first or second kick. I can do it sitting down without putting any weight on the lever!

- Kill switch = on
- fuel = on
- press and hold decompression
- gently kick through 3 times
- ignition = on
- gently move kick starter until amp meter aligns to center
- release decompression
- kick to start

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:46:19 pm by chris-bartlett »

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 09:31:47 pm
Wear decent boots, mx boots or something industrial this will protect your foot
if the beast does kick back and will also show the bike that you mean business

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 12:48:34 am
I don't even use the decompressor at all.
I
I just push the lever with my foot until I feel it getting compression, and just gently nudge it over TDC, and then give it a good kick.

As long as i have the rfuel tap on, and the igniton turned on, then it usualy fires right up on the 1st or 2nd try.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 04:03:33 am
i broke my thumb last night ;) :D

calman28556

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 08:46:37 pm
I do the kickstart about once a week just to say it works.  Otherwise I kickstart the ignition swtich.
On the Road - Again. And Again, And Again.

Sag Harbor~Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: August 13, 2008, 11:57:56 pm
I founds this somewhere in the forum a while back...

Works every time...

How to Kick-Start a Royal Enfield
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:43:21 PM »

Starting the Royal Enfield Motorcycle

1.Make certain that the "kill" switch is in the "on" or "run" position. This switch is located by the throttle, on the right side of the bike.

2.Turn the fuel tap to the "on position". Make sure that there is plenty of fuel in the tank. When the arm of the fuel tap is pointing toward the ground it is on. When it is horizontal it is in the "off" position. When the arm points upward it is in the "reserve" position.

3. If the engine is cold, push down on the gold colored choke lever. It is located on the right side of the bike about where your knee is.

4. Engage the compression release. This is the lever on the underside of the left hand handlebar switches. It is engaged by pushing it forward.

5. With the compression release engaged, kick the bike through 3 times. This "primes" the engine.

6. Turn the ignition switch on by turning the key to the right.

7. With the switch turned on, choke on, the throttle closed, and the compression release engaged, gently move the kick start lever and note the movement of the ammeter gauge. It will deflect to the left and then come back to the center. As you slowly turn the engine over, watch for the ammeter to deflect to the left. Now move it a little more until it just comes back to the middle. This middle position means that the piston is poised exactly where it should be for starting.

8. Now the moment of truth. Release the compression release lever and kick the bike through. When kicking, strength is not the key. A small woman can start the bike with the correct technique. The key is a long kick with good follow through. Kick it until the top of your shoe hits the foot peg. 9 times out of 10,the bike will start in the last 3" of movement.

9. If the engine is hot from being very recently run, you can omit steps 3, 4, and,5 .

10. If the bike doesn't start, repeat steps 7 and 8. (If bike is "hot" do not use the choke, if it is just "warm " you may need it) You MUST position the piston properly through the use of the ammeter. A natural inclination (especially if people are watching you) is to start kicking blindly without using steps 7 and 8. This is a route to total frustration and a complete loss of your manhood.( or womanhood ).

If the bike doesn't start after 3-4 kicks
I use a rule of 4, that is, if it doesn't start after four kicks, (adhering tightly to the steps above) then do something different. If it doesn't start in four kicks, then put the choke in the "off" or up position and try another 4 kicks. If that doesn't work, open the throttle all the way, choke on, and try it. Then if it still doesn't start, try throttle full open, choke off. This usually does it.
2007 Bullet Deluxe