Author Topic: getting the headstock back on....  (Read 752 times)

dgurovich

• Danilo Gurovich
  • Scooter
  • Shift on the right
on: June 28, 2020, 10:13:01 pm
getting the headstock back on....

Ok, gotta learn by making a few mistakes.  I took all the wiring out of the headstock, then all the nuts and bolts holding it in place.  Got my favorite orange dead blow hammer and moved it up about 4" from the bottom race.  It wouldn't go anymore, and I said "fine".  I prepped and painted it black. It's sat for a few a few days and the paint is nice and hard, so I thought I would set it back in place with a nice set of brand new stainless ball bearings....  Except.

I got the top in place by using a tie-down strap and cranking it until it is resting against the headstock like it's supposed to, but the bottom race is still about 2 1/2 inches below the steering tube.

What's the trick to get that sucker in there?  It can't be some kind of magic.  There's gotta be a fairly easy way to cram everything back together.

Oh well.  Gotta make a few mistakes, just so you're learning...

1966 Matchless G80
1959 Velocette MSS/Thruxton
2019 RE Interceptor
1961 Matchless G12 CSR
2006 RE Bullet Electra
2011 Vespa 300GTV
2006 Vespa 200L

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 03:23:44 pm
   Something doesn't sound quite right, because from what you've described unnecessary force was needed for removal and ongoing installation. From your description it sounds as though you missed a step during removal and/or installation. The disassembly and re-assembly should be pretty straight forward and painless.

If I understand correctly, your problem is inserting the Fork Clamp/Steering Stem assembly (Position #6) so the lower ball race seats properly?

Take care during installation that the Fork Clamp/Steering Stem assembly is facing the right direction (clamps angled forward) or it will not seat properly and you'll be unable to push it up far enough to seat the bearing race.
   If my assumption is incorrect, let us know, and provide pics if you can.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

dgurovich

• Danilo Gurovich
  • Scooter
  • Shift on the right
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 03:35:10 pm
Sounds like you've nailed it.  I think the bike is cranked a little.  Makes sense now looking down at the stem from inside with a light.  Let's see if it all comes together nicely!

Appreciate.
1966 Matchless G80
1959 Velocette MSS/Thruxton
2019 RE Interceptor
1961 Matchless G12 CSR
2006 RE Bullet Electra
2011 Vespa 300GTV
2006 Vespa 200L