Author Topic: DNA Air Filters (Rectangular Airboxes)  (Read 1540 times)

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
on: September 25, 2021, 07:27:23 am
Anyone tried one of these? Product code - RE5N08-01
Direct replacement for the old rectangular airbox.
I've just ordered one because the paper one didn't last even 1000kms. My 535 ate some of the white element!   ???

Hopefully it can handle the odd cough the electronic ignition like to perform when starting cold.

59 Club UK/Australia
Instagram : @modern_day_rocker

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 04:44:34 am
I haven't used one In my bullet ,I have a K&N in a ace style air canister with a TM32, however I have serviced many road bikes at work with DNA filters they seen to be a quality product, you should be good to go. How did the tuneing of the VM carb work out for you in the end

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 08:23:50 am
I fitted a DNA filter to my C5, it's a great improvement over the stock item.

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 12:59:32 am
I haven't used one In my bullet ,I have a K&N in a ace style air canister with a TM32, however I have serviced many road bikes at work with DNA filters they seen to be a quality product, you should be good to go. How did the tuneing of the VM carb work out for you in the end

I do have an ace canister but it's been robbed and butchered by the previous owner.

Current issue with the filter pictured. Looks a bit digested. Hopefully that doesn't happen to the DNA.

VM carb is fairly close now, just haven't been able to ride it, front drum is in getting machined.

I had to change to a richer slide. From a 3.0 to a 2.5. Helped the throttle response.
59 Club UK/Australia

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 01:54:27 am
My rectangular airbox was distorted enough to prevent the filter from sealing. the dirt is supposed to end up inside the filter, the whole airbox perimeter has to seal. Wasn't happening. I just use the gauze K&N's or Hitchcocks S&B versions of them. I don't ride in the rain anyway, but the oiled gauze sheds drip & spray pretty well. Both the conical & pancake work well, I prefer the pancake.

For a "factory" airbox, I think I'd go for the oval one; if it's going to be heavy, it might as well be pretty. It looks like the filter accesses with one screw. The rectangular unit is labor intensive to get to the element, and the rubber connecting the box to the carb has a very short life span.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/32653?ref_page=Bullet%20Export%20500cc
PART No. 92735 ; AIR FILTER ASSEMBLY, OVAL ; £149.00
AIR FILTER ASSEMBLY, OVAL (Supplied with all stainless fixings, transfer and intake rubber)
This is an English made oval air filter box based on the 1955 Bullets. It has been manufactured specifically to fit the Indian made Bullets. Finished in black and is supplied complete with filter element, intake rubber, transfer and all fixings in stainless steel. A quality product.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/13579?ref_page=Bullet%20Export%20500cc
PART No. AM/FILTER10 ; AIR FILTER, CONICAL, S&B, Suitable Indian Mikcarb ; £14.00

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/13585?ref_page=Bullet%20Export%20500cc
PART No. AM/FILTER16 ; AIR FILTER (PANCAKE), Carb Stub Sizes: 42 - 46mm ' £14.00

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 02:41:10 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 10:09:07 am
Wow your filter has been eaten? Weird. Just to be clear the ace air canister is from ACE cafe usa , mine is is a copy of that I made myself , it uses an air filter from a old 253 Chevy with a Stromberg carburettor here's a pic of mine , this set up could be beneficial for your high output 535.

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 03:07:16 am
Wow your filter has been eaten? Weird. Just to be clear the ace air canister is from ACE cafe usa , mine is is a copy of that I made myself , it uses an air filter from a old 253 Chevy with a Stromberg carburettor here's a pic of mine , this set up could be beneficial for your high output 535.

I've actually Tig welded up and sealed my rectangular airbox and ordered the DNA filter. So I'll see how that goes.

On nifty little gadget I've just stumbled across that XS650 guys have been using on ther Mikuni Round Slides is the Thunder Products "UFO".

Its an insert that screws in the base of a VM round slide making low rpm air speed signal more efficient like a flat slide.

Apparently you have to go leaner quite  a few sizes on the pilot jet since it becomes more efficient. I might give it a try, its only $35usd.
59 Club UK/Australia

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 05:31:19 pm
Nice job on the weld. I had to use electrical tape around the base of my old filter housings also to achieve a seal. Finally gave up and went to the clamp on gauze, way easier to maintain.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.