Poll

Which one should I go for? Vote and tell me why!

CRG Hindsight LS Bar End Mirrors
1 (33.3%)
Royal Enfield Bar End Mirrors
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: September 25, 2021, 10:21:43 pm

Author Topic: RE clip-on mirrors vs CRG clip-on mirrors...  (Read 2826 times)

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
on: September 23, 2021, 10:21:43 pm
CRG Hindsight LS Bar End Mirrors
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CC3YE/

vs

Royal Enfield Bar End Mirror Kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/383868771695

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 10:36:54 pm
Neither of them.
These, if you can get them.
https://classicpartsltd.com/bar-end-mirror-ball-joint.html
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:50:12 pm
Neither of them.

Which fitting works best with GT - assume the middle one and kept oem weights?

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:11:57 pm
Neither of them.

I'm going for black atm and for a clip-on since it looks like RE designed the bars for them- but if you have other reasons, I'd like to know what they are

supercub

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 12:15:59 am
I got these on ebay and they are awesome. I brought s 2nd pair for another bike also.
2021 Conti GT650 "Ice Queen"
1965 Honda CB160
2016 Honda CB500
2019 Suzuki TU250
Other project bikes

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 01:32:56 am
I’ve had both of these and much prefer the RE mirrors in functionality and looks.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 03:05:06 am
I’ve had both of these and much prefer the RE mirrors in functionality and looks.

Both? Which ones, there are several mentioned here..

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 05:22:38 am
The RE’s are a quality unit.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 06:09:37 am

Thanks for sharing!

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 11:53:29 am

I meant both the mirrors that the OP included in the poll question at the top of the thread.

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
  • it all starts with an idea
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 04:03:23 pm
The Halcyon mirrors will only work on the Interceptor, they will NOT work on the Continental GT because the bar end weights are not "fixed" inside the handlebar, they are designed intentionally to spin, so you cannot get the Halcyons correctly snugged down unless you want to deal with removing the OEM bar end nonsense and putting an aftermarket solution in its place.

The RE bar end mirrors are great.

I purchased a set of inexpensive bar end mirrors and quickly disposed of them because they allowed too much vibration.

I have a set of the MotoGadget mo.View Spy mirrors on my Continental, and I *love* the way they look and perform, although they are quite a bit smaller, which some people may find offputting.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 04:05:28 pm by ideola »
2021 CGT650 "Project MLG" | 2021 INT650 "Rocketeer" | 2019 Janus Gryffin #030

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 07:44:19 pm
The Halcyon mirrors will only work on the Interceptor, they will NOT work on the Continental GT because the bar end weights are not "fixed" inside the handlebar, they are designed intentionally to spin, so you cannot get the Halcyons correctly snugged down unless you want to deal with removing the OEM bar end nonsense and putting an aftermarket solution in its place.

I purchased a set of inexpensive bar end mirrors and quickly disposed of them because they allowed too much vibration.

I have a set of the MotoGadget mo.View Spy mirrors on my Continental, and I *love* the way they look and perform, although they are quite a bit smaller, which some people may find offputting.

Thanks for the heads-up there! I looked at the motogadget ones but are they easy to install? Do you also have their LED signals on the end of your bars?

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 08:00:37 pm

This is a GT with Halcyon mirrors. Fitting is easy.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 08:13:33 pm
This is a GT with Halcyon mirrors. Fitting is easy.

How did you manage to keep the bar end inserts from rotating? FWIW, Hitchcocks explicitly indicates they are not compatible with the Continental GT, and when I tried to install them on mine, I discovered why.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:15:35 pm by ideola »

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 08:57:00 pm
I have the CRG LS mirrors and really like them. I can fold them in when parking, and the view behind is sharp and clear. On the GT, the little plastic doohicky the goes between the bar end and the grip gets removed, and the mirror just clamps onto that spot. Simple, quick, effective.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 09:03:04 pm
I have CRG bar ends like NJ Mike’s on my Ducati and CRG ones like the RE kit on my interceptor. I think both work quite well
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 09:35:23 pm
I fitted these. I just put them in and tightened them up, rock solid, they have been taken off several times for various jobs, no problems.
https://www.classicbikepartscheshire.com/controls-c77/mirrors-c201/halcyon-round-bar-end-mirror-polished-stainless-steel-left-or-right-hand-p2371
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 09:51:24 pm
I fitted these. I just put them in and tightened them up, rock solid, they have been taken off several times for various jobs, no problems.
https://www.classicbikepartscheshire.com/controls-c77/mirrors-c201/halcyon-round-bar-end-mirror-polished-stainless-steel-left-or-right-hand-p2371
So you removed/replaced the OEM bar end inserts that came with those mirrors?

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 24, 2021, 10:21:36 pm
So you removed/replaced the OEM bar end inserts that came with those mirrors?
I removed the OEM bar end inserts and put in the Halcyon mirrors, thats it.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 24, 2021, 11:24:09 pm
So as I said...
...so you cannot get the Halcyons correctly snugged down unless you want to deal with removing the OEM bar end nonsense and putting an aftermarket solution in its place.

I've not been able to remove the OEM bar end inserts. How did you get yours out?

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 08:14:41 am
 3/4" in from the ends of the bars there are two holes in which locating lugs sit to stop the bar end inserts rotating/coming out P.632 of the service manual.
Take off the bar end caps.
L/H access is from lifting the edge of the grip and pressing the lugs down with a thin screwdriver.
R/H take off the throttle tube and all will be obvious, best do that one first as it easier to see what is going on.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: September 26, 2021, 12:01:21 pm
I have the CRG LS mirrors and really like them. I can fold them in when parking, and the view behind is sharp and clear. On the GT, the little plastic doohicky the goes between the bar end and the grip gets removed, and the mirror just clamps onto that spot. Simple, quick, effective.

Good point about the folding for parking... they also might function as a warning in case you split too close between cars haha

By the way, is that a magnetic mount for you phone? That seems risky when riding at highway speeds!

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 26, 2021, 12:59:15 pm
Good point about the folding for parking... they also might function as a warning in case you split too close between cars haha

By the way, is that a magnetic mount for you phone? That seems risky when riding at highway speeds!

The mount in the photo is for my BeeLine and I also have another on the left for my TomTom. My phone stays safe in the pocket of my suit or in my tank bag.

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

Seatex

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: September 26, 2021, 01:21:29 pm
I, too, went with the foldable type. I actually have snapped a mirror off of the non-folding type. Seems good quality for the price, and the mirror has a clear image.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B096VFZJ2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: September 26, 2021, 09:08:46 pm
I have CRG bar ends like NJ Mike’s on my Ducati and CRG ones like the RE kit on my interceptor. I think both work quite well

Good to know, thanks!

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: September 26, 2021, 09:18:12 pm
I, too, went with the foldable type. I actually have snapped a mirror off of the non-folding type. Seems good quality for the price, and the mirror has a clear image.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B096VFZJ2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks great- how long did it take you to install them? Also, how long did the bar end indicators take to install? I'm still on the fence about adding those.

The mount in the photo is for my BeeLine and I also have another on the left for my TomTom. My phone stays safe in the pocket of my suit or in my tank bag.

I didn't even know what a BeeLine was! So why do you have the TomTom on top of that?

Seatex

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: September 27, 2021, 12:55:33 pm
That looks great- how long did it take you to install them? Also, how long did the bar end indicators take to install? I'm still on the fence about adding those.

The mirrors, themselves, are easy to install if you use the bar-end inserts. My particular application was a bit more involved. I switched to aluminum bars, which have a smaller inside diameter. The bar-end inserts wouldn't fit without adaptation, such as routing the bore. However, the mirror clamps onto the insert, which has the same 7/8 inch (22mm) as the handlebar. Simply removing the insert allows the mirror to be clamped onto the end of the handlebar. This was not a problem for me, as I hadn't yet drilled the indexing hole for the control clusters. It would be difficult to run bar-end  indicators with mirrors clamped onto the end of the bar with stock handlebars unless you are willing to drill a new indexing hole. And obviously, the indicator wires have to exit somewhere. The logical spot is on the underside, between the handlebar clamps. None of it was particularly difficult or time consuming, but I also had no anxiety if I screwed up an aftermarket handlebar which cost less than $30 USD.
FWIW, I wish the indicators were a bit brighter in full daylight. They work, but If I were to do it over, I'd look for something brighter.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 12:58:43 pm by Seatex »

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 27, 2021, 03:17:27 pm

I didn't even know what a BeeLine was! So why do you have the TomTom on top of that?

Well, I've had the TomTom for ages, but it stopped talking to my phone a few years back, so it won't re-route, or do anything except follow the route I've laid out on the computer. However, what it does do is record my rides, and allows me to download them. It's also a perfect backup system for the BeeLine, which is a very simple interface, and very easy to make routes on the phone with. The BL has a very good basic navigation system, but the real beauty is to be able to drag the line between where you are and where you want to go, over any roads that tickle your fancy, by just using your index finger. The TT was a good unit before it stopped working with my iPhone, it's a well documented problem with no solution in sight. I used it to find my way to fun roads down south from NJ for years. This year I primarily used the BL, but there were times in the most remote parts of WV and NC where the phone GPS just stopped working and the TT was still picking up a signal. And it was good to be able to consult a map on the TT when again, there was no phone signal. Being able to see where I am and what's coming up can be useful at times. I admit to a certain level of paranoia, but I like to have solutions to problems on hand, if needed. I mostly leave the TT at home now for my more local rides, but on long trips it'll still have a place on my handlebars, just in case my phone or my BL stops working.

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: September 28, 2021, 11:43:37 pm
The mirrors, themselves, are easy to install if you use the bar-end inserts. My particular application was a bit more involved. I switched to aluminum bars, which have a smaller inside diameter. The bar-end inserts wouldn't fit without adaptation, such as routing the bore. However, the mirror clamps onto the insert, which has the same 7/8 inch (22mm) as the handlebar. Simply removing the insert allows the mirror to be clamped onto the end of the handlebar. This was not a problem for me, as I hadn't yet drilled the indexing hole for the control clusters. It would be difficult to run bar-end  indicators with mirrors clamped onto the end of the bar with stock handlebars unless you are willing to drill a new indexing hole. And obviously, the indicator wires have to exit somewhere. The logical spot is on the underside, between the handlebar clamps. None of it was particularly difficult or time consuming, but I also had no anxiety if I screwed up an aftermarket handlebar which cost less than $30 USD.
FWIW, I wish the indicators were a bit brighter in full daylight. They work, but If I were to do it over, I'd look for something brighter.

Whoa, that's a lot of work! I think I'll paint the OEM bars black instead of replacing them to save myself the headache haha

Now that you mention that, I'm leaning towards the Motogadget bar-end indicators for the brightness but I'm still not sure if I should splurge on Motogadget again for their clip-on mirrors since I'm not sure a cheaper option would make a noticeable difference. Do you see the point of their pricing?

Well, I've had the TomTom for ages, but it stopped talking to my phone a few years back, so it won't re-route, or do anything except follow the route I've laid out on the computer. However, what it does do is record my rides, and allows me to download them. It's also a perfect backup system for the BeeLine, which is a very simple interface, and very easy to make routes on the phone with. The BL has a very good basic navigation system, but the real beauty is to be able to drag the line between where you are and where you want to go, over any roads that tickle your fancy, by just using your index finger. The TT was a good unit before it stopped working with my iPhone, it's a well documented problem with no solution in sight. I used it to find my way to fun roads down south from NJ for years. This year I primarily used the BL, but there were times in the most remote parts of WV and NC where the phone GPS just stopped working and the TT was still picking up a signal. And it was good to be able to consult a map on the TT when again, there was no phone signal. Being able to see where I am and what's coming up can be useful at times. I admit to a certain level of paranoia, but I like to have solutions to problems on hand, if needed. I mostly leave the TT at home now for my more local rides, but on long trips it'll still have a place on my handlebars, just in case my phone or my BL stops working.

Ahh that makes sense. I never used a TomTom before so I never understood the point since I usually just throw my phone on a magnetic holster in the car. But in this case, I think I'll get a BeeLine (when they're back in stock) and have a phone holster waiting in the pouch for special* rides. Thanks for sharing your experience!