Author Topic: new kawasaki retro 650  (Read 5812 times)

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 02:10:26 am
The INT650 is a heavy ass bike but the Z900RS isn't?  :o

If I was that worried about performance I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time with that Kaw. Hell I could have just kept my R1!  ;D

the z650 is about 412lbs wet. so the z650rs will probably be similar.

i dont know why people are all of a sudden comparing the weight of the RE650 to BMW K1200GT or Guzzi California 1400 bikes lol. its such a dumb way to dismiss a valid argument.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #31 on: September 15, 2021, 02:57:14 am

i dont know why people are all of a sudden comparing the weight of the RE650 to BMW K1200GT or Guzzi California 1400 bikes lol. its such a dumb way to dismiss a valid argument.

So much the same - my GT is 190kg wet. 
I really don't know why you still own this bike   ???

Effektor

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: September 15, 2021, 04:29:43 am

I was comparing the 650 to the bike you posted a picture of while calling the 650 "heavy ass" but I guess we can compare it to the bike that weighs damn near the same.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #33 on: September 15, 2021, 05:19:32 am
I’m sure the sales of the 650s are relatively small in India but bear in mind that the Interceptor is one of the top selling bikes in the UK and in markets like Australia and New Zealand has sold strongly. Probably more niche in the USA I’d guess
I've read that the 650s are good sellers, and leading their segment in those countries, and deservedly so.  I'd like to hear more about other competitors within those segments in those countries.  I bet the list includes quite a few machines that are scarce in the USA.

I'm not sure how strong the 650s are selling in the US, RE doesn't seem to break out the export figures they publish by country or region.  We do seem to have quite a few US riders here on the forum.  I would think a survey of our forum membership, might give us some crude idea of the percentage of this model going to various markets.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that the 650s aren't a brilliant product.  I was citing stats with reference to speculating about RE developing a 1000.   Will there be sufficient demand, over the amortization period, to warrant the expenditure that a project like that requires?  Perhaps, a lot of large machines are sold in the English speaking countries.  Here's some stats for the UK:  https://www.finder.com/uk/motorbike-statistics

It's interesting to note that sales of ALL motorcyles in the UK for 2019, about 89,000, is a number smaller than two mediocre months of RE production.   RE holds about 4% of the India domestic market.  About 21,000,000 motorcycles were sold in India in 2019.  That's 1 bike in the UK for every 236 sold in India.  Pretty amazing, and not hard to see how RE is thriving, especially protected as they are by 50% tariffs plus 28% goods and services tax.

I read that Sid Lal once revealed that exports are important mainly to give the brand prestige at home.  Regardless of why they do it, I feel fortunate that I had the chance to own an RE, and glad I chose to.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 15, 2021, 06:19:31 am
So much the same - my GT is 190kg wet. 
I really don't know why you still own this bike   ???

theres literally no way the gt650 is 190kg wet unless you've removed like everything you could off the bike and mistakenly emptied the gas tank.

i still own the bike cause i bought it lol. its listed on kijiji though if you want it :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 06:33:45 am by iblastoff »

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #35 on: September 15, 2021, 08:44:57 am
theres literally no way the gt650 is 190kg wet unless you've removed like everything you could off the bike and mistakenly emptied the gas tank.

i still own the bike cause i bought it lol. its listed on kijiji though if you want it :)

Says you. Stock wet weight is 198kg and I’ve dropped 8 off it.
Good luck with the sale, we’re all rooting for you
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:49:22 am by Hoiho »

Tukemeister

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 12:09:02 pm
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/2022-kawasaki-z650rs-retro-style-motorcycle-details/

interesting. obviously not as clean and classic looking as the re650, but this one has 67hp and probably a good 30 pounds lighter than the interceptor if its anything close to the z650s weight.

EDIT: the picture showing on the page is the 900 but rumors are saying it will look similar.
I was interested in the new Z650 twin after reading about it and the teaser on Motorcycle News. So I emailed Kawasaki dealer asked if they had any information - predictably they didn't and said it was news to them. I guess will have to wait until 27th Sept when its supposed to be launched. I did have a Z650 when I was younger and it was a ready good bike, I sold it too a guy in Whitby who promptly, butchered and made it into a awful chopper. 

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 27, 2021, 03:32:21 pm
its revealed. as expected, its a mix of the z650 and retro.

looks like it'll be initially available in 3 different colour ways.

the pipe looks ridiculous tbh. but overall its looking pretty good

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 03:54:57 pm by iblastoff »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #38 on: September 27, 2021, 03:54:17 pm
So this is different from the Versys? Is this just badge engineering or does it run deeper? I see forks/tank/seat, a frame guard/cross-brace/?? at the cylinder head,  starter/alternator cover, but what else? The Versys twin was pretty good; is this actually "new" or just "Enfield" style model engineering?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: September 27, 2021, 04:11:48 pm
So this is different from the Versys? Is this just badge engineering or does it run deeper? I see forks/tank/seat, a frame guard/cross-brace/?? at the cylinder head,  starter/alternator cover, but what else? The Versys twin was pretty good; is this actually "new" or just "Enfield" style model engineering?

does the versys share the same engine as the z650 and ninja 650? if so, then it should be the same. but i dont know much about kawasaki bikes. heres how the page describes it:

At the heart of the new machine is an updated version of Kawasaki’s venerable 649 cm3 water-cooled, parallel twin engine used in both the current Z650 and Ninja 650 models. With a justifiable reputation for durability and performance, the assist and slipper clutch equipped engine unit has also formed the basis of machines raced to success at the gruelling Isle of Man TT races.  Tuned in the case of the Z650RS for low and mid rev response, plus characteristic invigorating high rev performance, the engine is rated at 68 PS  (50.2 kW) and will also be available from Kawasaki dealers with a 35kw power down kit fitted creating an A2 compliant machine.

heres the page for it (at least for the UK) https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/news/Retrovolution_begins_with_2022_Kawasaki_Z650RS?Uid=08CCDlBbXw1dW1xQCQsKXFoNWlEKXA4MDFFQDVFaWVkKXlg

heres the promo vid showing the green one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umfaef59sAk

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:12:17 pm by iblastoff »

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
  • it all starts with an idea
Reply #40 on: September 27, 2021, 05:53:40 pm
VisorDown article:
While the styling will remind some of the original Z650-B1 of the late seventies, the internals of the bike are bang up to date. The engine is heavily revised for this year and is the same reliable yet entertaining unit as found in the Z650 and Ninja 650.

Tuned in the case of the Z650RS for low and mid rev response, plus characteristic invigorating high rev performance, the engine is rated at 68 PS  (50.2 kW) and will also be available from Kawasaki dealers with a 35kw kit enabling riders on an A2 licence to enjoy the Retrovolution for themselves.

Like its Z650 and Ninja 650 cousins, the suspension is provided by 41mm forks with Kawasaki’s own horizontal link rear shock – pre-load adjustment is available. The Kawasaki Z650RS features dual twin-piston front calipers biting down on 300mm round disc rotors. The front and rear brakes are governed by a two-channel Bosch advanced ABS unit.

The Kawasaki Z650RS will be available in UK dealers from early November, and will be available in three colours options:

Metallic Spark Black (£7,549)
Candy Emerald Green (£7,699)
Metallic Moondust Grey / Ebony (£7,699)
For more information, head to: www.kawasaki.co.uk
2021 CGT650 "Project MLG" | 2021 INT650 "Rocketeer" | 2019 Janus Gryffin #030

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #41 on: September 27, 2021, 09:11:19 pm
Twin front brakes are nice. Otherwise kinda meh. But anything that looks less insectoid is ok with me.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Tukemeister

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: September 28, 2021, 10:19:02 am
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/kawasaki-z650rs/
Its a twin,, I am not sure about the exhaust, probably to get it through emissions rules, in my opinion the rad look too big and very vulnerable in a fall, and its only got a 12 litre tank ! 

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: September 28, 2021, 03:50:46 pm
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/kawasaki-z650rs/
Its a twin,, I am not sure about the exhaust, probably to get it through emissions rules, in my opinion the rad look too big and very vulnerable in a fall, and its only got a 12 litre tank !

my gt650 only has a 12.5l tank and only like 11 litres of it is usable lol. meh.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: September 28, 2021, 08:24:51 pm
I think it looks great and 78hp is a useful amount of shove. I’ve never ridden this engine but assume it will have a modern revvy feel.  One of the things I like most about my interceptor is it’s torquey old style feel and power delivery.  For the most part I’m not really a fan of a modern bike just given a retro styling kit. Rather have an MT09 than an XSR900 for example.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was