Author Topic: AFP: ‘Every message was copied to the police’  (Read 4595 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 05:57:48 pm
These are sorta "California" home prices, $380K, nothing too extraordinary. Owning a $2.5M USD house would likely be a sign your wallet has stretch marks and you've never missed a meal. No immediate life-threatening worries for that lucky fellow, just inconvenience. 

HOUSE PRICES IN SWEDEN'S 8 RIKSOMRÅDEN (NATIONAL AREAS), 2020. Nationwide house prices stood at an average of SEK 3,279,000 (€320,429) in 2020, up by 8.1% from a year earlier. ( about $380K)
Sweden's house price rises accelerating - Global Property Guide

In Sweden, the average household net-adjusted disposable income per capita is USD $31,287 a year, lower than the OECD average of USD $33,604 a year. There is a considerable gap between the richest and poorest – the top 20% of the population earn four times as much as the bottom 20%. Sweden - OECD Better Life Index

https://www.statista.com/statistics/526094/sweden-median-disposable-household-income/ ; ( Household income, About 490,000 SEK ) ( $56,000 USD)

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 10:07:26 pm

Yes. Kudos. And you're trapped there if you can't sell your house because it's valued at 2.5 million $ on the market now & almost no reasonable person with
that kind of money will EVER buy it etc., etc., etc..   >:( >:( :-X

PS: I know nothing of Richard's houseal sitchewayshun. Just making a point.

It is a good point, though. My home cost $35K when new in 1971. Now homes in my area are currently selling within a week or so for prices around $1.5 million. Since I have my home paid off and my taxes are relatively low due to our Proposition 19 that froze property taxes in 1977 and then limited the rise in taxes to 2% each year, I am doing OK during my declining years.  :(  But, since I don't want to move, the price of homes in the area is just a curiosity to me that I am having trouble getting my thoughts wrapped around.  ??? Why would anyone pay that kind of money for a two-story ticky-tacky box in a state that wants to run your life for you?  :o
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 10:42:56 pm
http://virginiafarmsforsale.net/property/wonderful-country-estate/

< $600K, 53 acres, 2,500 sq. ft. Cape Cod style home....and $900,000 in play money left over...deer & small game, good annual rainfall, enough elbow room to not have to see your neighbors, etc., etc... maybe within shootin' distance of the Bilgemaster... room for a barn to collect & restore old bikes... ;D ;D ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 10:58:13 pm
cough...cuz the bad ol' US of A is the ONLY country in the world who has ever done such things and no other country in the history of mankind has ever done anything worse.

Gimme a freakin' break.

As children in this country we are taught that as a nation we are better than that, as adults we find out we're not. It would be nice if we could change our ways and be the country we pretend to be. Another president like Bush Jr. (Cheney ran the show) or tRump and we will truly be up shitz creek.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 03:44:23 am
There is a bit of truth in all of these quotes.

"What is history, but a fable agreed upon? " Napoleon Bonaparte

“those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.” Winston Churchill

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” Upton Sinclair

My favorite is this bit of sagacity: "It's the Golden Rule; them that have the gold make the rules." Johnny Hart

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 07:17:20 am
http://virginiafarmsforsale.net/property/wonderful-country-estate/

< $600K, 53 acres, 2,500 sq. ft. Cape Cod style home....and $900,000 in play money left over...deer & small game, good annual rainfall, enough elbow room to not have to see your neighbors, etc., etc... maybe within shootin' distance of the Bilgemaster... room for a barn to collect & restore old bikes... ;D ;D ;D

Holy crap. I'm looking for a farm (hobby size) and 600k is my kind of price range. That doesn't get you shit here though. That place looks magnificent. I'd buy that in a minute, if it was here.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 02:06:31 pm
My favorite piece of legislative taxing advice is: "Don't tax me, don't tax you, tax the guy behind the tree."  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 04:44:18 pm
@ Gizzo, #20: That same spread in Arizona would be a lot more. It's the access to water thing, where it regularly falls from the sky, land prices for rural "paradises" seem to go down. Hawaii excluded, of course. Lots of folks that retired from our Laughlin powerplant moved to the Midwest/Mideast? Tennessee, Virginia, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc. for that very reason. No irrigation, belly high grass, trees, natural gas for heat in the winter, lots of game. A really nice place to land if you don't have to get up & go to work everyday. A bit of A/C for the humid summers, wood heat in the winter, a 5 acre pond to bring in the game & raise catfish, bass, bluegill & crappie in. 2-5 cows for meat, maybe 2 cows per acre there instead of the 20-50 acres per cow in Arizona. When the roads are iced up or maybe just mudbogs, you stay home & fiddle in the garage. If "pretty" isn't a priority for you, all that can be done at a much lower rate. Jump on the next flight over & spend a few weeks tootling around, your money is good here.  :)

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
  • it all starts with an idea
Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 05:24:15 pm
@ Gizzo, #20: That same spread in Arizona would be a lot more. It's the access to water thing, where it regularly falls from the sky, land prices for rural "paradises" seem to go down. Hawaii excluded, of course. Lots of folks that retired from our Laughlin powerplant moved to the Midwest/Mideast? Tennessee, Virginia, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc. for that very reason. No irrigation, belly high grass, trees, natural gas for heat in the winter, lots of game. A really nice place to land if you don't have to get up & go to work everyday. A bit of A/C for the humid summers, wood heat in the winter, a 5 acre pond to bring in the game & raise catfish, bass, bluegill & crappie in. 2-5 cows for meat, maybe 2 cows per acre there instead of the 20-50 acres per cow in Arizona. When the roads are iced up or maybe just mudbogs, you stay home & fiddle in the garage. If "pretty" isn't a priority for you, all that can be done at a much lower rate. Jump on the next flight over & spend a few weeks tootling around, your money is good here.  :)
Agreed. I have something somewhat similar: 11 acres, 1 acre stocked pond, old dairy barn with lean-to converted to shop on the back. Sheep, horses, donkeys, chickens, and ducks (no cows, no goats). For what it's worth, chickens are way easier to raise and process than cows, and ducks are easier than chickens. Great source of both eggs and meat (although SWMBO will not allow anything we feed to be eaten, so ours are just lawn ornaments and pets). If I had a 53 acre parcel, I'd skip right past cows and go straight to Bison. One male, a couple of cows, save two calves for butchering at the end of the season, sell the rest off, and you'd be set for meat for nearly a year.

I'm stunned that that 53 acre estate in VA is only $600K. That is only marginally more than I paid for my 11 acres, and I bought it when the market was at the trough (2014). Just as a point of reference, ag acreage in most of the Midwest goes for ~$10K per acre, not including buildings and infrastructure. I'm stunned that it wouldn't be more in Virginia.

One add'l note for anyone seriously considering this path: make sure you understand taxation in the jurisdiction where you purchase, particularly property taxes. From what I understand, many eastern states like MD, VA, DE, CT, MA tax EVERYTHING annually that you own as property, not just the real estate. So if you bring in a fleet of hobby vehicles or farm equipment, it all gets taxed. Most states only tax at the time of purchase, with a nominal "road tax" as part of annual registration. Not so in the east.

On the issue of real estate taxes, I highly advise that you research public policy with respect to taxation, expansion, and development. Here in IL, housing values are flat or declining because they keep raising property tax by double digit percentages year over year. I'm zoned ag, so I'm somewhat protected from the direct impact of high taxes. But the declining property taxes of everyone else who are zoned residential due to over-taxation affects my property value too.

The old addage about real estate being a great investment doesn't apply here because the exhorbitant real estate taxes artificially surpress appreciation of property values. In other words, don't buy in IL. If it weren't for SWMBOs recalcitrance, I'd already be in Missouri. Consider that a pro tip.
2021 CGT650 "Project MLG" | 2021 INT650 "Rocketeer" | 2019 Janus Gryffin #030

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 10:46:49 pm
The main issue here with rates/taxes is when an area gets gentrified the existing locals can no longer afford to live there. 

Sure they can cash in and make a big profit and buy elsewhere but a lot of older people that have owned their house for 50 years and brought up a family there just want to retire in peace in their old family home,  not sell out to some developer and move because they cannot afford the rates/taxes on their house anymore.

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 23, 2021, 11:06:18 pm
...when an area gets gentrified the existing locals can no longer afford to live there...
In many areas yes, but unfortunately, that's not what's happening in IL. It's the opposite. In many cases, the annual taxes on home ammortized over 12 months have eclipsed the monthly house payment, not including homeowners insurance. When that happens, the houses won't sell because nobody that can afford it wants a shithole with a tax payment that's more than the house is worth, even as a rental property. There's a reason that IL leads the nation in population loss, and that's a big one.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #26 on: September 23, 2021, 11:46:45 pm
From what I understand, many eastern states like MD, VA, DE, CT, MA tax EVERYTHING annually that you own as property, not just the real estate. So if you bring in a fleet of hobby vehicles or farm equipment, it all gets taxed. Most states only tax at the time of purchase, with a nominal "road tax" as part of annual registration. Not so in the east.

Holy crap! So you buy a nice jacket and your land tax (I assume that's like our council rates here, money goes toward local infrastructure and board of directors corruption) goes up? Does it go down again to accommodate depreciation of your assets? Sounds like a freakin' nightmare. And puts some perspective into that obscenely cheap farm property. Thanks for the insight fellas.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 12:09:30 am
Holy crap! So you buy a nice jacket and your land tax (I assume that's like our council rates here, money goes toward local infrastructure and board of directors corruption) goes up? Does it go down again to accommodate depreciation of your assets? Sounds like a freakin' nightmare. And puts some perspective into that obscenely cheap farm property. Thanks for the insight fellas.
Well, sort of...clothing is usually excluded as property, but big ticket taxable items like vehicles, RVs, UTVs, motorcycles, farm equipment, etc. are all fair game.

Also, pro tip: taxes always go up, they never go down.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 12:28:19 am
Unbelievable.  :o

It reminds me of a situation that used to exist in South Australia before I was born: Any vehicle whether in use or not had to be registered, even off road on private property or in storage. The way around it was to dismantle the vehicle. So for some time South Australia was a happy hunting ground for "barn find" project cars. But they're all discovered and gone, now.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 01:05:13 am
We have 50 states, Ill-A-Noise is just one of many. For the fellow with cash that does his homework, there's always a deal. In Virginia in particular, where the listing was, here's some tax info:
https://www.centralvafarms.com/blog/2016/07/land-use-tax-assessment-in-virginia/

There are lots of rural folks living in the "sticks", most in a fairly low-budget manner too. Being a "gentleman farmer" is eminently doable, just do enough research to see if it's for you. Remember to factor in the "If'n Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy" consideration too.  ;D