Author Topic: Kick'n er Over  (Read 2129 times)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
on: September 10, 2021, 08:28:33 pm
The lovely Mrs. Childers was out with her camera and caught me in the process, first kick, scouts honor!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:30:42 pm by Karl Childers »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 09:27:06 pm
Those fork boots look nice. You dwarf that 500cc bullet, looks like me on a Hodaka! I believe you'll like the trials-pegs-in-the-passenger-peg-cones trick, you'll be able to stand up, stretch back & use some proper body-english. 
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 10:28:36 pm
That old "Military" really looks the business for some serious greenlaning...path scrambling...stream fording...whatever.

Well done!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 01:10:59 am
That old "Military" really looks the business for some serious greenlaning...path scrambling...stream fording...whatever.

Well done

Thanks, it's been as much fun in the workshop as it has been out on the road!

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 12:34:05 pm
Mine is also a one kick machine. I have total belief.  :)
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 04:56:44 pm
That's one beautifully crafted Bullet!  It looks perfect for a cow trail or dirt road.
Lurker on a Vespa

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:55:32 pm
Beautiful . Looks like it has very adequate clearance under the rear wheel. Are you still running 19's? My '05 has about .5" when on the service stand, and thats with an unworn stand mount. But since these things were basically hand built it looks like you have a frame with the stand mounts welded in a better way. Good stuff.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 10:19:45 pm
Beautiful . Looks like it has very adequate clearance under the rear wheel. Are you still running 19's? My '05 has about .5" when on the service stand, and thats with an unworn stand mount. But since these things were basically hand built it looks like you have a frame with the stand mounts welded in a better way. Good stuff.

That picture is deceiving, the ground in that spot is very uneven. If you put the bike on the center stand on a flat surface both (19") tires touch. Yesterday was the last day for the center stand anyway as I took it off to gain more ground clearance. I did buy a nice adjustable side stand for it from Hitchcock's  which I like better than the stock one as far as lean angle is concerned

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 01:57:20 pm

That picture is deceiving, the ground in that spot is very uneven. If you put the bike on the center stand on a flat surface both (19") tires touch. Yesterday was the last day for the center stand anyway as I took it off to gain more ground clearance. I did buy a nice adjustable side stand for it from Hitchcock's  which I like better than the stock one as far as lean angle is concerned
Ah, that clears that up, thanks. I have always wondered what they were thinking with that stand geometry . The other frame related thing I find puzzling is the fork lock. Mine locks the fork to the right, the most unstable way when on the side stand. I have had no other bike that locked its fork to the right.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 04:16:06 pm
Just piping up to say that really is a really cracking Bullet. Great look, and obviously quite practical.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 06:11:34 pm
Just piping up to say that really is a really cracking Bullet. Great look, and obviously quite practical.

Thanks, I've wanted a Bullet set up like that for years now and finally found the bike and the time to do the conversion.

Willbrunei

• Reborn biker
  • Bulleteer
  • 2022 Halcyon Black Classic reborn
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 04:11:19 am
I have a "07 military and really like the way your mods have lightened the look of the bike. Can I ask if you have some more pictures of the bike to share. It looks great.

I have this terrible affliction that when I see another bullet like yurs that looks cool - I just want mine to look like it! Maybe I need to get a few more...  ;D
Used to have:
Fs1E; Yamaha V90 step through; MZ125; Harley badged Cagiva 125; Cm250T; DT250; 750 four F2; XS 650; GS400; W650; '07 iron barrel military 500; Royal Alloy TV175

Now have: '22 classic reborn

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 04:41:13 am
Thanks for the kind words, it never takes much arm twisting to get me to post pictures of my Bullet. I like the way you have yours set up but I know half the fun of motorcycles is working on them and making them evolve into some thing else, I have had a lot of fun changing mine so far and I will being doing some detail work on it this Winter. My camera is not that good but luckily my wife is a photographer and she's taken some nice pictures of the bike for me.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 04:43:17 am by Karl Childers »

Willbrunei

• Reborn biker
  • Bulleteer
  • 2022 Halcyon Black Classic reborn
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 07:11:39 am
Nice - l really like the front guard. works well. Also the seat - where is that from do you know? I notice you have the petrol tank cap conversion too.

Did you have to change the cables to fit the braced bars?
Used to have:
Fs1E; Yamaha V90 step through; MZ125; Harley badged Cagiva 125; Cm250T; DT250; 750 four F2; XS 650; GS400; W650; '07 iron barrel military 500; Royal Alloy TV175

Now have: '22 classic reborn

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 01:52:04 pm
The front guard is for a 21'' wheel but I feel  visually it works well with the 19'' I have on the front and the additional clearance is in keeping with an on road / off road motorcycle. The seat was on the bike when I bought it which was lucky for me as I favor solo seats and like its style. The best I can tell it was an accessory from Royal Enfield when the bike was new that the original owner added , I'm not 100% positive on that though. The frame cover underneath it is aftermarket from Hitchcock's. The petrol cap conversion I just had to have, I prefer the looks and convenience over a lockable flip style cap. The handle bars do work with the stock cables which was nice to not have to chase down new cables and their extra expense. Other than the seat everything came from Hitchcock's, the quality is good and I like working with them, their parts selection for an obsolete bike is amazing!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:15:44 pm by Karl Childers »