Author Topic: crankcase anticlockwise  (Read 809 times)

kiwistopher

• Scooter
on: August 28, 2021, 09:19:28 pm
I was trying to find TDC to adjust tappets. I turned the crankcase bolt (LHS of crankcase) ANTICLOCKWISE by mistake. My manual says I should NOT do this. The bike would not start after I had finished job. Could I have damaged something/anything by turning the crankshaft anticlockwise?

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 11:17:36 pm
I was trying to find TDC to adjust tappets. I turned the crankcase bolt (LHS of crankcase) ANTICLOCKWISE by mistake. My manual says I should NOT do this. The bike would not start after I had finished job. Could I have damaged something/anything by turning the crankshaft anticlockwise?

Highly unlikely but you may have adjusted the valves on the wrong stroke. The easiest way to find TDC and adjust the valves on those is to put it on the stand in 5th gear with plug out and the valve cover off. Turn the rear wheel in the forward direction while watching the intake valve. As the bike comes up on the compression stroke the intake will move upward, as the piston nears TDC watch the indicator window in the rotor cover, when the mark is aligned in the window both valves should be unloaded and have free play. If they don't you'll need to adjust them.

As an alternative you can always adjust the intake valve when the exhaust is fully compressed and vice versa.