Author Topic: Still "Untainted by technology" ?  (Read 10503 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: September 28, 2017, 05:04:05 pm
Just wondering how many of you pre-unit bullet owners are still running old school. I personally have been running the same set of Volkswagen points that I converted to in 2006. Thats 10k miles and they still look good. And although it only gets a 1000 or so miles a year(other bikes)it's always just one or two kicks away from ready. The only offering to the gods of speed this bike gets is either cam 2 or 100ll avgas and it loves it. The good fuel allows it to produce the FULL 18 hp :)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:51:29 pm
I am still using the RE points set I purchased at CMW when I re-ringed in 2016.  I have about 2000 miles on them, and it starts after one priming kick.  I have recently been using alcohol free gas which was working great until yesterday when the fuel filter plugged up.  The filter had fibrous particles in it, looked like tobacco juice,  I think someone spit snoose in my tank!!!! Did I piss off one of you guys after the comment on gear oil, helicoil? Which one of you guys chew snoose?  Fortunately, I had a spare inline filter in the tool bag.

Otto_Ing

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 07:00:59 pm
Like it or not the IB is also a piece of technology.  ;)

Bit more transparent at least.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:17:12 pm
Whats an IB?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:22:04 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Otto_Ing

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:19:04 pm

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 08:33:22 pm
This is what did it for me..

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 02:06:25 pm
The points on my ASBO engine have done about 3000 miles and going strong.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 04:18:43 pm
The points on my ASBO engine have done about 3000 miles and going strong.
And they should last many thousands of miles past that, as long as you keep some lube on the rubbing block. Breaker points are the under the least amount of duty in one lungers. I have cut a window in the points plate to keep an eye (and a spot of oil) on that low budget advance unit, but it's still fine. That old tech was never as bad as the pundits claimed, it's really a matter of how involved you want to be with your motor.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 06:17:47 pm
And they should last many thousands of miles past that, as long as you keep some lube on the rubbing block. Breaker points are the under the least amount of duty in one lungers. I have cut a window in the points plate to keep an eye (and a spot of oil) on that low budget advance unit, but it's still fine. That old tech was never as bad as the pundits claimed, it's really a matter of how involved you want to be with your motor.

I'm good with the maintenance of my bike, including the points. :)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 11:13:17 pm
Like it or not the IB is also a piece of technology.  ;)

So are pneumatic tires. ;) What year is your bullet?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:17:35 pm by cyrusb »

RE350

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 04:24:34 am
Pushing close to 20,000 miles on my '99 350 and find no reason or benefit to replace the reliable proven conventional breaker point ignition. Consider this: back when 6 and 8 cylinder cars were using points they lasted at least 10, 000 miles with one set of points opening and closing 6 to 8 times more often than a 1 cylinder. I have only replaced the points once and frankly it didn't really need them. I would consider electronic ignition more prone to sudden failure without warning rather than the gradual degradation of efficiency over many miles as the rubbing block wears or the contacts erode in the points ignition

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 07:22:55 pm
RE350, my thoughts exactly. Combine that with a  simple carb, air cooling, solid lifters and you are in charge of that mill. The cable brakes afford the same fixable benefit. The icing on the cake on my 05 is the kickstarter, with no electric start. Your 99 is kick only too, right?  Of course all this charm comes with a price. If your going to run the interstate you will need a second bike.

RE350

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 06:23:10 am
Kick only on the 350 Bullet. I have a 75 Norton MkIII Commando for the Interstates. The Norton has an electric starter that actually works and it needs it at over 50 cubic inches combined with "Anal" carburetors and Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electrics. Many have referred to the Norton electric starter as "kick assist". The secret to making it work as a real starter is a good AGM battery and also pulling in the clutch when starting even when in neutral. Works great. No problem at all with modern batteries. I still use points on the Commando as well, but the advance mechanisms are prone to wear and can contribute to erratic idling. 

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 02:59:11 pm
I loved the "Untainted by technology" tag line. Also loved "Y2K Compliant" and the trailing edge of technology.

I am a fan of points. Nothing against an electronic ignition, but they are totally unnecessary on the engine. Easy to set, long lasting and reliable.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 05:12:58 pm
The guy I work with has about 14,000 on his points still going strong.
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.