Author Topic: Replacement Battery?  (Read 32967 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 09:15:25 pm
I had a DekaVTX14AHL-BS AGM battery in mine and absolutely loved it. It fit the bike but I did have to fiddle with the connections a bit, twisting the ends about 90o.
Never required a charge even after working a on it for three weeks doing a wiring change for my headlight. Never failed to turn the bike over unless the Sprag was broken, but it even started that when it warmed up a little and the sprag would engage. Had nothing to do with the battery. I'll probably put one in the Goose when the time comes.
Bare
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:54:32 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 06:02:22 pm
The MBTX12U is 5.94" x 3.42" x 5.12" (LxWxH) and looks like this:

My B5's current battery fit is very tight in all dimensions; I don't see how a battery that is more than 1/2" longer is going to fit.  Am I missing something?

SinghG5 agrees with your doubt on the size of this battery ;)!

I will stay away from this battery MBTX12U as it is too big to fit normally, standing upright, in the battery holder of RE. It may fit side-ways, which can cause other complications including wires not reaching the terminals etc.

The battery size for RE is L=5.3", W=3.5", H=6.9" or smaller ! 

However as you pointed out, MBTX14AU is correct size and will fit in RE normally. This is listed for RE and recommended by MotoBatt's website -

http://www.motobatt.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=95&year=00-03&cc=500&manufacturer_id=48&category_id=63&model_id=777
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:14:13 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 03:14:32 am
My bike will barely break even with a 55/60W headlight so I'm running a 30W unitl I can upgrade my wiring.

Just curious... what head light are you running? H4 or seals beam?
Chris

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 05:56:18 am
H4 30/30W.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 08:04:30 pm
My bike will barely break even with a 55/60W headlight so I'm running a 30W until I can upgrade my wiring.

Scotty,
Are you having battery problems or just keeping the lights bright? What battery are you running? If it's just dim lights, installing a couple of relays can cure that! I did that on mine and it really made a big difference in illuminating power! Pretty easy to setup.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 10:07:00 pm
No, the lights are plenty bright, but if I run a 55/60W bulb the battery slowly dies over time, even on long rides.  I've checked the stator.  It checks out fine statically and dynamically, both unloaded and loaded.  I checked the RR, seems fine except for that RE oddity that it only buzzes out in one direction.  I suspect there's just anemic wiring.  I plan to rewire the alternator to RR with some heavier line and also run some heavier lines from the RR straight to the battery, plus and minus.  If that doesn't do it I plan on running some headlight relays, and if that fails a replacement RR.

The thing is, with a 30/30W bulb it all works just fine and the bike runs great and the battery doesn't die.  So I got lazy and just keep riding it that way :)  Last winter was mild and I never had any down time to rewire.  This winter is wet and icky so as soon as I lube and reroute the throttle cables and install the new muffler I'll dig into the wiring.  Should just take a few nights of spare time to do.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 02:10:40 am
No, the lights are plenty bright, but if I run a 55/60W bulb the battery slowly dies over time, even on long rides.  I've checked the stator.  It checks out fine statically and dynamically, both unloaded and loaded.  I checked the RR, seems fine except for that RE oddity that it only buzzes out in one direction.  I suspect there's just anemic wiring.  I plan to rewire the alternator to RR with some heavier line and also run some heavier lines from the RR straight to the battery, plus and minus.  If that doesn't do it I plan on running some headlight relays, and if that fails a replacement RR.

The thing is, with a 30/30W bulb it all works just fine and the bike runs great and the battery doesn't die.  So I got lazy and just keep riding it that way :)  Last winter was mild and I never had any down time to rewire.  This winter is wet and icky so as soon as I lube and reroute the throttle cables and install the new muffler I'll dig into the wiring.  Should just take a few nights of spare time to do.

Scott

+1  on the rewiring the charging circuit and the better R/R unit.  I rewired mine, in 12 ga....  But unfortunately, it does not help with the charging situation.  Still a good thing to do though if you have that early Angle hair pasta harness  ::)  I think a better R/R unit is the key..... it's gotta get into the 14v's area to to efficiently charge that battery.  And that is if the stator can keep up.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 02:48:22 am
Oregon Motorcycle Parts make some nice generic replacement units.  I've emailed with the owner and he's a nice guy.  I got the connectors for the rewire from him.  I may need the regulator.  It's the most expensive part to replace, but also the easiest. I figure I'll try the other stuff first. Even if it doesn't work they're all worthwhile upgrades.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 02:54:35 am
  Yeah, most definitely worthwhile.  Let us know if you can get to doing that... be a big plus !   ;)   I have used Rick's combo units in the past... and they WILL get you into the mid 14's as soon as you touch the throttle. BUT... I haven't tried them on an Enfield and they are pretty pricey.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 03:13:16 am
I'm sure one of these will fit:
http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html
And all under $100.  He'll customize them too, if you want a lower max charging voltage or something like that.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 03:22:55 am
I'm sure one of these will fit:
http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html
And all under $100.  He'll customize them too, if you want a lower max charging voltage or something like that.

Scott

That's a good link, thanks  ;)  A little better on the price too I believe, then Rick's.  Yeah, I would think any of the 3 wire stator jobs would do..... 

And I am not surprised he seems to specialize in old Honda/Jap twins and singles !   They share the same .... deficiencies in the charging dept.  ::)   Ask anyone who owns or owned a old Honda twin for any length of time about their charging system AND the crap sprags on those bikes !
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:29:06 am by gashousegorilla »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 03:40:15 am
Yes!  Somewhere on the site are a few stories abouth the old Japanese bike charging systems.

Scott

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 03:56:26 am
id love to see some good diy write ups on charging system upgrades.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 03:56:57 am
Yes!  Somewhere on the site are a few stories abouth the old Japanese bike charging systems.

Scott

I have fixed many.....  THE only advantage to the Honda twins in that regard, even though the sprag was weaker then the Enfield, is that it is much cheaper to fix.  Honda still makes and sells the individual sprags and springs..... you just get to fix 'em more often then the Enfield  :-\

But similar in that they are both kick and E start.  A weak charging system = a weak battery= destroying a weak sprag.   The struggling to start and violent kick back from E starting with a weak battery grenades 'em.  MUCH more violant kick back when E starting  then kick staring on those bikes.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 04:19:30 am
Yup, that's how my sprag died.  Dieing battery and it kicked back.

Scott