Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1850713 times)

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #8010 on: April 05, 2021, 10:09:57 am
Replaced the fly screen with a Givi taller screen, what a difference! Even with an open face helmet it's far more comfortable in cold weather. It even looks right on the bike.
If all about you are panicking then you've missed something important

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #8011 on: April 06, 2021, 05:03:07 am
Changed the oil and filter, and cleaned the siphon screen at 1000kms. I had the dealer do the 500km service, so this was my first go. I was very pleased that the bolts weren't over tightened. I managed to get the right amount of oil back in and it didn't blow up or leak, so I'm happy. Next time I will make less mess!

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8012 on: April 06, 2021, 02:12:31 pm
Changed the oil and filter, and cleaned the siphon screen at 1000kms. I had the dealer do the 500km service, so this was my first go. I was very pleased that the bolts weren't over tightened. I managed to get the right amount of oil back in and it didn't blow up or leak, so I'm happy. Next time I will make less mess!

There's nothing like doing an oil change that shows us what we need to do for an oil change. Particularly, an efficient and clean oil change.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #8013 on: April 21, 2021, 08:09:13 pm
(posted to wrong thread)

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8014 on: April 22, 2021, 07:29:18 am
On the subject of the oil change and tight bolts, some time ago I bought a cycle torque wrench kit for $20 on eBay. 1/4 drive and loads of star & hex adaptors great on alloy as VERY low settings available. Use it mainly on the Spyder and Enfield but also anything small or likely fragile
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #8015 on: April 24, 2021, 10:18:52 am
The clutch felt off, like I was being less than smooth releasing the lever. As I use the bike for commuting to and from work, it gets plenty of use in traffic.

After checking the cable (still fine) and the movement of the lever itself, the next place to check was the clutch release pin inside the LH side cover.

The photo below shows how the pin is supported between the actuating lever on the top of the case, and the middle of the casing. I raised the pin and applied grease into these three areas.

The clutch action is now much smoother & I learnt some more about the workings of my bike.

2021 Classic 500

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8016 on: April 24, 2021, 01:22:38 pm
Nice oil pan.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #8017 on: April 24, 2021, 02:39:30 pm
Did you check the primary drive bolt is tight while the cover was off?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #8018 on: April 25, 2021, 12:34:13 am
Did you check the primary drive bolt is tight while the cover was off?

No, I didn't. I wasn't aware these things come loose on their own (I take it this is a potential issue with these engines?).
Now I've been in there it's not a big deal to pop the cover off at the next oil change.
2021 Classic 500

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #8019 on: May 13, 2021, 09:35:04 am
Just when I thought the bike was sorted after dealing to the clutch release pin (great improvement) I went to take it out for a ride and noticed some damp patches under the engine. On close inspection I could smell fuel, so I checked under the tank and it was visibly wet where it clipped onto the frame.

I dropped the tank into a friend's workshop and, after flushing & venting, the cracked gusset was welded up.

We decided to weld & reinforce both sides given this is a known weak area. My friend had previously worked for a Royal Enfield dealer as their mechanic & he said while working there they had replaced several tanks under warranty due to leaks from the front clips. 

2021 Classic 500

Mark1971

• Scooter
  • Durham, UK, Classic 500
Reply #8020 on: May 13, 2021, 04:44:48 pm
On a road trip with Hettie. Rode up and over the Bealach Na Ba, on my way to Applecross.
Mark from Durham, UK
Classic 500 - Battle green 2020
Moto Guzzi V7 853 2022

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8021 on: May 13, 2021, 08:09:33 pm
On a road trip with Hettie. Rode up and over the Bealach Na Ba, on my way to Applecross.

Nice pic. I fancy doing the NC500 myself. I hope I get the chance. Let me know how good/bad the midges are :)

Mark1971

• Scooter
  • Durham, UK, Classic 500
Reply #8022 on: May 13, 2021, 08:21:11 pm
No sign of the dreaded midges so far but I'm stopping in a hostel just outside Applecross. Last time I was up here I camped at the campsite and any bare skin was savaged immediately, even the midge repellent only slowed them down. Always fancied doing the full Nc500 myself, done most of it in separate trips but would like to do it properly. Spent today doing a lap around the Isle of Skye. Wasn't sure about doing this size trip on the Classic 500 but it's been the most enjoyable trip I've ever been on. The pace has been comfortable and allowed more time to take in the whole journey.
Mark from Durham, UK
Classic 500 - Battle green 2020
Moto Guzzi V7 853 2022

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #8023 on: May 14, 2021, 09:51:11 am
Donethe NC500 a few times before it was called the NC500 as I worked in Edinburgh and then Glasgow, it was something to do on a weekend! I stopped once to have a coffee, poured out the flask into a cup took a photo then tried to have a drink only to be confronted with a cupful of midges ::) Still a great ride, not sure now as it is a major tourist trap.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #8024 on: May 22, 2021, 06:32:50 am
Last week I rode to my local bike shop to help support my friend ride his brand new bike home. It was his first ever ride as he just got his Learner's license a few days prior. He was nervous, but I helped ride alone with him all the way home, about 70kms.

However, I left home and literally stopped 30 metres from home as my rear drum brake locked up and ground me to a stop. I was able to push the bike home once I got the brake released, which took some persuasion. Jumped on the Harley and took off to get to the bike shop bang on the 11am I promised I'd be there.

My local shop is luckily a Royal Enfield dealer, so while my friend signed the final forms over to his brand new Honda Rebel 500, I ordered myself some new shoes, which I knew were on the cards. I was thinking perhaps the shoes wore out too far and the actuating cam rotated too much, locking into place.

No. Well, yes! The cam did do that, but not because the shoes were worn, but because there was zero lube on the surface where the cam turns and pushes the shoes out to contact with the drum.

Pulling the assembly apart a few days later, I learnt that the lock up caused a whole bunch of other damage.

The large pin that the shoes rest on was bent, the shoe assembly plate was warped, the actuating rod was bent, the pivot mount for the rear brake lever was also bent, the rear brake light switch over extended and broke as well as stretching the spring.

Yay me!

So, today I picked up the new plate, which is identified as a separate part on the diagram, yet it arrived assembled with the pin that was bent on my old plate. I also ordered a front disc, as mine has surpassed 45,000 km, was pulsating on braking, and had worn to its minimum limit. I swapped the disc over, along with new pads for the front. I gave the calliper a little clean and some very slight lubrication on the pins where the pads slide.

Moving to the rear, I noticed that taking out the new shoe plate from the box, it was nothing like mine. The design has changed. My plate was fairly flat, with a huge shim spacing it from the swingarm. There was also a large nut holding on my bent pin. Where as on the new one, the pin is press fit and welded into place.

I attempted to fit the new plate with the shim and nut, but this caused a significant misalignment with the front and rear sprocket. So I figured the new design plate doesn't need this shim and nut. I removed them and refit. Much better. This also allowed more than one thread of the hollow axle that holds the rear brake assembly in place when you remove the rear wheel. It also allowed the rear wheel to fit into place with the axle spacers.

I also found that the old design has more parts, such as the 10mm nuts holding in the actuation arm mechanism for the rear brake. These were tight on mine, and should be ever so slightly loose to allow the brake cam to "centre" itself when you use the brakes. The new plate has no such place for this mechanism to be fitted, so I hope that RE's engineering, casting and machining is better than what I'm generally use to after so many decades of experience.

Once it was all assembled, a test ride after some adjustments was in order, especially as I am taking part in the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride tomorrow. Returning from the test ride, everything is perfect apart from having to nip up the rear brake rod a few turns as the new shoes bedded in and increased the rear brake pedal travel. I turned the nut until the shoes make contact with the drum, then back it off half a turn and spin the wheel to see if it drags at all. Nope, perfect. Looking forward to tomorrows ride, with brand new brakes that should be well and truly bedded in by the end of the 250km round trip I'll be doing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 06:37:03 am by stefano_musica »
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C