Author Topic: Tappet Settings Question  (Read 5266 times)

clachcik

• Scooter
on: May 15, 2021, 02:52:19 am
So I know the tappet's need to be set at .08mm for intake and .18mm for exhaust. Unfortunately I can't find any feeler gauges with a .18mm. Mine goes from .01 to .10 then increments of 5 so I am left with .15 and .20. When I did my first service I used the .20mm for the exhaust and am continuing on looking for a .18mm gauge. Am I going to have any issues riding with my exhaust tappet's set at .20mm for now? Also that gasket was a pain in my butt to be honest. I put some silicone sealant around the top part to keep it from falling out and I am hoping whatever left over sealant leaked out didn't get inside of the engine itself. So far no issues and already put a little over 150 miles since my first service and haven't blown up yet!
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 02:58:46 am
A tiny bit loose is not a real problem.  Yes the gasket is a pisser.  Also, take care that the sealing ring at the 6mm fixing bolts does not get misplaced.  It will leak badly.  Don't ask me how I know ::)

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 03:39:50 am
I carefully used Yamabond adhesive to retain the valve cover o-ring to the valve cover.  I just put it in the groove in the cover and put the cover on a smooth surface overnight with a weight on it.  That worked well.  I got a spare o-ring, just in case.

Also, I set all valves .001" above spec.  I plan to extend my valve adjustment intervals a bit and my rather moderate use of throttle plus the small increase in tappet clearances should prevent any burnt valves.  I hope.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 05:20:05 am
There's nothing wrong with doubling up feelers to get the gap you need. So use the .10 and the .08 together to get .18.
It's a bit fiddly this way but 100% doable.
Or use an imperial feeler at .007". close enough.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 10:25:15 am
All you do is use two or three blades and add them up, easiest way that's how l always done it, of course you have to be careful with silicone you only need a tiny amount it can block oil ways and cause oil starvation if it gets in engine. It won't hurt to ride at 20 it's when they are to tight damage will occur it will burn out the valve. No way will your engine blow if the clearance is just a tiny bit to big, remember if they are to tight that is what will do the damage an expensive repair, the head has to come off new valves and regrind if you are very lucky, at worst seats will have to be recut reground.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:46:29 am by Karl Fenn »

clachcik

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 01:55:08 pm
There's nothing wrong with doubling up feelers to get the gap you need. So use the .10 and the .08 together to get .18.
It's a bit fiddly this way but 100% doable.
Or use an imperial feeler at .007". close enough.

Oh wow, I was going to try this one day but didn't know if it would work. Might try that, thank you!
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 08:24:17 pm
Oh that works the measurement is identical to one larger blade it you take 03 and 05 it will give you 08 or whatever combination you want to use, if you measure it with a micrometer the measurement will be exact, put the blades together do up the tension screw you have one blade ready to go, mind you l would not worry about 02 l have found much larger tolerances than that when doing a routine service most important thing is the clearance must not be to small.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:31:07 pm by Karl Fenn »

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 09:31:03 pm
I carefully used Yamabond adhesive to retain the valve cover o-ring to the valve cover.  I just put it in the groove in the cover and put the cover on a smooth surface overnight with a weight on it.  That worked well.  I got a spare o-ring, just in case.

Also, I set all valves .001" above spec.  I plan to extend my valve adjustment intervals a bit and my rather moderate use of throttle plus the small increase in tappet clearances should prevent any burnt valves.  I hope.

Ralph

Not a bad idea. If you can't hear 'em they're burning.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 12:00:54 am
Not a bad idea. If you can't hear 'em they're burning.
Slappy valves are happy valves  ;D
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

PrinceValiant

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 06:34:34 am
So , random Q related to this - i had first service yesterday , all good , seems the go better , but i got a  random ' tinkling ' from motor on decel .
this could be my old mans hearing...

any random ideas welcomed
i run it on 91 , was going maybe 84 @3800rpm . Happened a couple of times - roads a re coarse chip - could be a stone hitting the exhaust ?

And the exhaust note has certainly deepened over the 700kms .

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 11:14:48 am
The bikes can make some noise on deceleration they all seem to, those engines are not as smooth as a jap, when l got mine l had it checked out but they all seem to be identicle when you decel.

Streetliight

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 06:04:43 pm
Rather than make a new thread regarding valve tappets, I'll just ask in here as it's not a question worth starting a new thread over, probably

Is there a torque spec for the locknuts on the tappet? I did mine about a month ago and adjusted them accordingly before tightening them down to what I felt was an appropriate level, but my brother in law who helped me found it strange that there was no torque spec according to the service manual, as his Ninja 250 had a torque spec for its locknuts.

So now I'm wondering if there might be one for the Royal Enfield, just to be on the safe side of things...I'm about to go back in and re-do them because I'm at 1700 miles and they seem to be making a bit more noise than I remember haha.

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 06:22:44 pm
Rather than make a new thread regarding valve tappets, I'll just ask in here as it's not a question worth starting a new thread over, probably

Is there a torque spec for the locknuts on the tappet? I did mine about a month ago and adjusted them accordingly before tightening them down to what I felt was an appropriate level, but my brother in law who helped me found it strange that there was no torque spec according to the service manual, as his Ninja 250 had a torque spec for its locknuts.

So now I'm wondering if there might be one for the Royal Enfield, just to be on the safe side of things...I'm about to go back in and re-do them because I'm at 1700 miles and they seem to be making a bit more noise than I remember haha.

I searched for, and could not find, a torque spec.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 06:29:46 pm

Tight is right, but to tight is broken. All kidding aside it's best to just develop a feel for small nuts and bolts. Too often trying to torque them to spec results in a stripped thread.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 06:41:51 pm
Tight is right, but to tight is broken. All kidding aside it's best to just develop a feel for small nuts and bolts. Too often trying to torque them to spec results in a stripped thread.

So, strip it and back it off 1/4 turn?