Author Topic: Removing rear wheel bearings- Crusader.  (Read 281 times)

Auldgit

• Scooter
on: March 20, 2024, 11:09:01 am
Have to replace the rear wheel hub bearings due to excessive side play. Undamaged so far as I can see. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I start heating and thumping in the time-honoured manner? I'd prefer to use an extractor but don't see how one could be inserted with the spacer tube in place? Any advice greatly appreciated. AG

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 06:25:11 pm
I remove mine (albeit a Bullet) using a length of 10mm round bar. Just insert from the opposite side of the wheel and tap them out, gradually working around the circumference to keep them moving straight out. The second one is easier because the spacer tube drops out. I tap them back in using a suitably sized socket located on the outer race.
Paul W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 06:36:18 pm
The spacer has a notch cut out, so when you use the 10mm bar there is a place for you to start tapping.

Photo: HMC

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Auldgit

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 08:41:56 pm
Thanks both, very useful information. Cheers. AG

Auldgit

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 08:30:35 pm
Well the new ones went in, and were too tight after just using a socket on the outer rim. Fairly easily resolved by utilising a large thick washer between the socket and the bearing (as instructed in the manual), thus equalising the pressure overall. Now to get the tyre and tube on and it can all go back.