Author Topic: Royal Enfield shows Strong sales in December 2020  (Read 1503 times)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
on: January 24, 2021, 09:20:00 pm
This article, complete with a breakdown of sales figures for all models, shows that Royal Enfield has substantially recovered from the crippling effects of the pandemic shutdown.  After selling only  91 machines in April 2020, sales have recovered to just under 69,000 units for December of 2020.  This number is getting close to the monthly sales they had in their best year, 2018, where some months sales topped 75,000 units.

https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-sales-exports-break-up-dec-2020-12391248.html

Export numbers are increasing, up to about 5% of total sales for 12/2020.  I'm ignoring the month when India was totally shutdown and export sales beat domestic.

It's interesting to see that the Classic and Bullet 500 continue to be shown on the list of export models, with total sales for December 2020 of 771 units, down from 922 in November 2020, but up substantially from the year previous.  I'm not sure how to explain this, since the press reports have been saying this model is discontinued, except for the Tribute Black, but wasn't that strictly a Classic?  Perhaps these numbers simply reflect 500s that were already in dealer stocks?

Exports of Meteor 350 were 94 units for December and 251 for November, not a good showing.  I'm personally not expecting US introduction to change these numbers much, but we'll see.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 01:14:37 am
Year well ltchy Boots and the new intercepter has put the on the map for sure.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 08:51:06 pm
I noticed in the showroom last week the new Euro 5s were all lined up.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 04:00:39 pm
I noticed in the showroom last week the new Euro 5s were all lined up.
Europeans seem to be calling them that, but all the news reports have stated that the latest REs are compliant with India's BS 6 emission standards.  India skipped 5 and went from BS 4 straight to BS 6, which is analogous to a Euro 6 standard.

Meanwhile, here in the USA, only the equivalent of Euro3 continues to be required.  We'll just call them "2021 Royal Enfields", and some dealers have no hesitation to put last year's leftovers out there with the shiny new bikes.

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 02:01:22 pm
To me it is amazing what a comeback they had. Usually a dinosaur such as Enfield gets extinct when the competition is really let loose. The investments they made in R&D are gonna pay them back big time. Their story is that of a success almost comparable with the Japanese invasion back in the day.
Even with the recent price hike, if you compare a thai Boneville with the oragadam interceptor there is still a huge gap that the boneville, for all its smoothness around the edges, cannot really fill. At least for now there is no competition for the enfield twins. Also I do have a feeling that the new J platform will be a similar success. A modern ohc that retains some thump priced at around 4k. They would be so hard to beat.