Author Topic: Meteor wanna be...push me in!  (Read 823 times)

SwiftyMorgan

• Scooter
on: August 16, 2022, 02:02:48 am
I'm standing on the edge, ready to jump, so push me.

I began riding 2 years ago.  I'm drawn to the agility of making the machine do what I want, when I want, so parking lots, advanced training courses are my goal.  I enjoy the local roads fine and once I have enough miles and training, I'll use them more, but I don't necessarily aspire to highway riding, travel, etc.  Just train, and run about here and there.

- 28" inseam
- I had no issues with the 250s in my riding class and rode my 2005 Honda Shadow 750 for about 50 miles locally.  All good, no issues, but I just sold it.  If I had room, I would have kept it for future use, but I knew when I bought it that I wanted the simplicity of fuel injection for now.  It also taught me a bit about what I'm looking for, which is simplicity, at least for now.

- Also, I think 500+ pounds is more then I want to move around for now.  I have to walk it back out of my garage, then turn it around.  There's just no way around that in my situation.  I wish I could drive it out, but there simply isn't enough room.  I'm in good shape and over time "motorcycle muscles" will build, but for now I just want to learn to ride and not be distracted by weight.

- I've sat on many bikes. Triumphs, Hondas, Motto Guzzi (nice, but I feel like I'm leaning too far forward).  Kawasaki Vulcan S is really close, even with its weight, I'm very tempted by this bike. 

Enter the Meteor.  I found one at a shop early on and have compared every other bike to the Meteor.  Man, the bike just fits.  Everyone says I would grow to like the larger bikes and I'm sure that's true.  But  the Meteor might be my jumping  off point.

I'm in the US.  Are there quality service dealers near Philly suburbs?  I know several dealers that acquire the bike,  but...  I was an auto mechanic years ago and know my limitations, but adjusting valves, should all be within my scope of skills.

I'm leaning towards the blue Stellar.

Any words of caution or wisdom are welcome.  Thanks!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 03:43:22 am
The Meteor is a heavy flywheel, long stroke engine. Coming into Royal Enfields from a Japanese motorcycle background, I had some learning to do. After 3 years or so of living with my Pre-Unit Bullets, here's what I found. This engine design is perfect for "daily driver" use and general knocking around. it provides "compliant" power, it builds progressively, no rude surprises. That kind of power delivery keeps the rear tire connected to whatever surface you find yourself on. It also translates to a bit less shifting when you are chuffing about doing some sightseeing, it continues to "pull" long after it seems it shouldn't. It's a nice engine for real life.

The Meteor has received praise for it's user-friendly handling from lots of very experienced folks here, so it'll work for you too. It comes with cast wheels, so you can run tubeless tires and will have zero spoke concerns. It has a center stand, this makes the basic maintenance simpler. It has just two valves with screw type adjusters, a cartridge type oil filter, and an easily accessible rear drive chain. It is a counterbalanced engine, keeping its modest low-RPM engine vibration even lower. All of the normal maintenance is well within the capacity of the interested owner.

The really nice part about the Meteor is it doesn't from all accounts ride like a "little" bike. Reports are uniform that it has very good road manners. It isn't twitchy or "nervous", it doesn't seem to be unduly disturbed by crosswinds or passing vehicles. Riders report a lot of confidence in it.

I see these 350s as an excellent value. There are lots of very experienced, multi-bike folks here that also own the Meteor and have a lot of affection for it. I'm not seeing anything that you have said you want to do that the Meteor won't fulfill brilliantly.

Good hunting - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 03:44:44 am
Can't tell you a thing about RE service in Philly. As an auto mechanic though, you should have no issues with basic service on a Meteor. Valve lash adjustment is screw and locknut type. Document, save receipts and take phone pics of your work in case you need warranty work performed. The Meteor has an excellent rider's position and low seat height. A Meteor will be less money to buy and achieve better fuel economy than a new Vulcan S. Top speed is 74 mph. Will cruise effortlessly at 55-60 mph. Even 65 but you may start to feel a bit of vibration. The Meteor is a nice handling bike and comfortable. Great around town.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 03:54:53 am
Hay Morgan , Ready for a big push ?  :) :)

I got  the blue Stellar. also !    Love the color , but it does show dust and rain drops ??  ::)

I've had a lot of bikes since 1968 (not enough fingers and toes) and I have a MotoGuzzi in my shop now ready to go "if I can get off the Meteor" .   
The Meteors manors are top shelf .   If we didn't have Interstates running all over America then I'd sell my Guzzi and be a one bike person.    The Meteor does everything I ask it to with easy.
It has gearing to run faster than the speed limiter will let it.   Heck , there are some big uphill main roads where I like live and the Meteor will run up any of them in 4th gear at 60mph ridding double ,  mine has 2500 miles already so I can push it to its limits (don't usually) but I know where the limits are.   If ya push it it will run 60mph in 3rd gear before the rpm limiter cuts in.   So 60mph in fourth is OK , I still do not know where 4th meets the rpm limiter , and I may never know ?    I suspect the speed limiter will cut in before the rpm limiter does ??
I'm usually in 5th gear by time "we"  (me and Enfield) get up to 40mph.   It will get down to 30mph in 5th and idle around the back roads just as slick as a button (85-90mpg) .   It will also run along at 65mph (70-80mpg) and never break a sweat !    Here in TN. the default speed limit is 45mph and most roads are 55mph , so the Meteor is the perfect machine !!!  :)

Hay , be ready for strangers to come up and ask "Is that British" ?    I usually assure "Yes , by way of India , since 1901"   8)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 04:38:38 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 07:45:20 am
I agree with all the comments above.  I've been riding for 49 years and I've got to say the Meteor is astonishingly good - one of the best bikes I've owned.  Perhaps THE best.  Obviously not the quickest, but everything about it just works so well - it's a very "coherent" design.  For me, it's the ultimate Zen bike. 

It's not suitable for hurtling along high speed roads, pulling hundreds of miles beneath the wheels in a day.  That's why I have a Honda VFR for that kind of work.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 07:46:52 am
Welcome to the forum SwiftyMorgan!

All good and valid comments posted so far.

That's a well thought out plan for what your preferred riding style, weight considerations, seat height, handling and power needs would be. My reply could be lengthy, but I hope it helps.

First of all, I applaud you for having the foresight to get enrolled in advanced rider training courses. The more you know and practice certain skills, the better rider and the safer you will be. Having done all that myself in my early riding years, progressing to an instructor, it is the best money you can spend, not counting the motorcycle and proper riding gear.

I have the Stellar Blue Meteor you are considering. I will tell anyone that it is a great little bike. It impresses me with the torque, as you accelerate through the gears with a bit of gusto. It is very peppy for a 350 single! Top speed, is, as mentioned here often, around 75 mph, on a flat, with no headwind, but it can get there quickly.

You said: "I'm drawn to the agility of making the machine do what I want, when I want" 

This is one area where you may be disappointed with the Meteor. I have long enjoyed riding twisty mountain roads, or even flat curvy ones. Having overextended myself a few times on the Meteor now, wearing metal off of each peg feeler and once when something hard rubbed the road and very momentarily lifted the rear wheel off the ground, you have to be mindful of that limitation. The bike is so light, compared to what I had with my 700 pound ST1100, that it flicks over too far very easily.  :o  Might have been the muffler that dragged, but I could find no mark.

So if you hope to enjoy bending 'er over through some twisties, the Meteor may not be your best choice.

Most cruiser style bikes have limited cornering ability, but you seem to have a preference to the cruiser riding style. If you can live with that, until you possibly progress to something faster and sportier, the Meteor suits that to a tee. The low seat height and around 425 pounds would suit you well. The handle bar is well positioned (haven't heard any complaints), so you aren't leaning forward.

The Meteor is a breeze pushing it about, forwards or backwards. That is also a learned skill that you will improve on and heavier bikes would be no problem, depending on how old and decrepit you are now.  ;)  ;D

The seat should be fine for planting feet on the ground with your short inseam, but, you may have already been taught to support the bike when stopping with only one foot down, the left foot, keeping your right foot on the brake pedal. This goes a long way to learning slow speed balance and will make you a better rider. It is also how you could more easily handle a bike with a higher seat too, if you only need to put one foot down. Of course, you can always toe tap the right foot too, should your balance go off momentarily.

I had a look at the Vulcan S specs and it looks like a whole lot of bike at a reasonable price with a very low seat height, a lot more HP than the Meteor and capable of over 100 mph. Its price is very close to the Honda CB500X, which will also do the ton, but with an almost 5 inch higher seat. The seat on the Vulcan looks quite similar to the Meteor and that is one strong point for the Meteor. RE gave it a good seat for the rider.

The Honda and Kawasaki both come with ABS as standard, are less than 500 pounds and have cast wheels and tubeless tires, like the Meteor, but the Honda would definitely be the better choice for a more sportier ride, plus it has some fairly decent wind protection. Honda also has the 500cc Rebel cruiser, but appears to be somewhat detuned from the 500X model, with a lower top speed and an even more exaggerated cruiser appearance, to my mind.

So, pick any one of those and you won't go wrong, bearing in mind the limitations each has in relation to all of your desired goals for a bike. Good luck on your choice and ride safe!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:50:53 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 07:50:48 am
I also have a Moto Guzzi, a Nevada Classic and I have had but now sold a Vulcan S.

The Vulcan was much more powerful but the fueling on and off the throttle was terrible, like an on/off switch and the seating position was too cruisery for me. You can not brace against the foot pegs on a rough road.
The Moto Guzzi is very comfortable and also a lot more powerful than the Meteor. Moto Guzzis are great bikes but probably not ideal for an inexperienced owner.

All said and done the Meteor is just so easy to use day to day and on our minor country roads is perfect (I'm in rural UK)

I think a Meteor is right for you if you don't need 70+ MPH.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

SwiftyMorgan

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 12:48:35 pm
Thank  you everyone for your input.   I realize opinions  here might be biased towards the Meteor, but everything you've written is consistent with what I've already read and my experience simply sitting on the bike.

@Dexter, thanks for leaning in on your concern about, well, leaning  :)  However, by agility, I meant, running tight figure eights, U turns, etc.  If my peg touches the ground, well, I've done something I didn't want to do  :o  Philly police use to offer that type of agility training, now it's a company called Total Control.  Once I have the Meteor, yes I said have, because it's clearly the right choice, I will familiarize myself with it, might even take the basic class with it, then take the advanced and go from there.

Thank you again everyone again be safe.

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 05:41:55 pm
Hi guys. I took the plunge at the weekend!
I have a stage 4 1200 harley sportster that is a great bike, mostly for nipping  up and down motorways, duel carriageways and long distances over a fairly short time frame. Over time with family life and such it hasn't gotten ridden as much for day to day use such as commuting to the gym and generally meandering. It's heavy to manoeuvre out the garage and is far to torquey around town, especially with the slightest hint of wet weather.
Being a previous re twin owner I was intrigued by all the fuss over the meteor, wat hing all the YouTube reviews.
Well, I visited the dealer this past weekend and rode all the 350 and 411 variants but the meteor was just brilliant. It handles, was plenty fast enough about town and will make a great all year, all weather ride I think. I found myself laughing while riding back to the dealership, completely Involuntary. I just felt at home and in control and just happy on board. I went in and paid for it on the spot. I went for the fireball red with touring seat, fly screen and a few other bits.
I can see this becoming my main ride, even for longer adventures.
Hopefully that will give you the push you need to buy this happiness machine.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 05:46:47 pm by redpat1 »