Author Topic: 4 Speed, Gearbox Problem  (Read 775 times)

playgirl2

• Scooter
on: August 15, 2022, 11:56:11 am
I am a new Member, I have a 1997 350 India Bullet, With a 4 speed gearbox and neutral finder. The problem is changing down from 3rd to 2nd i keep finding false neutrals and it is spoiling the ride, I have adjusted the elongated slot at the back of the front cover and now found the best place, adjusted the selector screw, I fit new parts spring ect. If i take the gearbox apart what would be the parts most likely to wear that could cause this problem. Any comments welcome.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 01:53:18 pm
@Bilgemaster will hopefully move this to the iron barrel forum where it will get more eyeballs.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 04:36:28 pm
Order a new bellcrank detent indexing plunger and inner cover gasket, they're pretty cheap. After you get them, pull the old plunger and look at it closely. The tip is supposed to be a bit rounded on the end but not worn. The screw slot HAS to end up horizontal when you adjust the tension, the tip is indexed with the screwdriver slot and fits into the horizontal bellcrank slots.

Pull the gearbox inner cover and check the actual bellcrank slots. Their shape will match the new plunger tip. If they are "wallowed out" or too worn, then the bellcrank has to be replaced, which means the gearbox has to come out. Possibly the swingarm could be removed to provide enough access to remove the bellcrank pivot bolt, but I can't really say from personal experience.

A third possibility that happened to me was that the bushing behind the drive sprocket had become worn due to the sprocket nut being improperly tightened. That allowed the shaft to have enough axial "float" to affect the shift indexing. To access that, the Primary Side inner cover has to come off.

I'd start with a new plunger. Good hunting - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 01:47:07 pm
Perhaps this video I made a while ago might be helpful.
B.W.
https://youtu.be/TXPnUQciYr0