Author Topic: 1959 Indian Trailblazer  (Read 18077 times)

Citrus

• Scooter
Reply #90 on: December 01, 2022, 01:33:45 am
Mark is quite right - sorry for misleading you Tony!  I forgot what era I was in !!  There are 2 friction discs in the later ones. Yes the pre war dampers work a treat - but after saying that my Chief and Inter units works OK - just not as fine adjustment.

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #91 on: December 01, 2022, 07:56:19 am
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure those dampers are very safe because if too tight, really messes up the steering. True, they are adjustable on the fly but too late if you've gone over the embankment. I'll sort it out when the bike goes on the road.

Thanks again
Regards
Tony
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Mark M

• Scooter
Reply #92 on: December 01, 2022, 09:17:40 am
Tony, don't worry, you won't need the damper on the go, these bikes handle extremely well without. Up until the late 50s solo UK market Enfields were not fitted with steering dampers at all, they were only included on sidecar models. They seem to have been fitted to US models as standard, probably as a fashion thing but became a standard fitting on the Home Market when the high performance Constellation was introduced in 1958 and they then stayed on the twins right through to the last Inters fitted with the Enfield fork (the 1968 Mk1A Interceptor). Throughout this period the Bullets only had the damper for sidecar use. As an aside, the post-1956 frame handles extremely well, by the standards of the day and even now. I use my Interceptors hard and the frame has never been an issue, especially with modern tyres. The fork damping is another thing though!
REgards, Mark

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #93 on: December 01, 2022, 09:26:59 am
I have the steering damper knob on Not A Fury purely for cosmetic reasons. Adjusting the steering head bearings is easy enough.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: December 01, 2022, 03:26:32 pm
I don't use mine, just as Adrian says. It just doesn't improve riding in any way, but can drasticly mess up your steering, when there's too much friction for smooth operation.

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #95 on: December 01, 2022, 10:54:03 pm
Thanks, that is reassuring. I remember I once tightening the head stem nut too much on my Bullet and nearly came to grief and that is why I am suspicious of the Trailblazer set up. With your feedback I can easily sort it out. One thing I wondered too was whether it rattles around much. It looks like it's just one more thing to rattle if it's left loose.

Better get onto the engine otherwise this bike is going nowhere...
Thanks again and regard
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: December 02, 2022, 02:02:49 am
If all else fails, fit a Bullet engine and gearbox! I'm sure you'll get the TB engine sorted, though.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #97 on: December 04, 2022, 06:18:51 am
Not a bad idea but all I got is a Bullet 350 so I'll persevere with the twin. It's just getting time to go see the man. I live a long way from anywhere. Hopefully tomorrow if he's on deck.

Actually, I was looking at the Bullet today and thinking it's got new front forks, Hitchcocks disc brake upgrade, top quality rear shocks, 12 volt charging upgrade... I've still got most of the original parts. I could make a Chiefbullazer.

Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: December 04, 2022, 01:31:01 pm
Well well, who will give up that easily, just because of some setback? ;)

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #99 on: December 05, 2022, 07:42:38 am
No giving up Andreas.

I managed to get up to town with the engine cases and the engineer is going to fix the ruined stud holes and bring them back to BSF thread. At least that's the plan. Not sure how long it's going to take but if he cant figure out a solution before Xmas, I'll be waiting until way into the new year.

On another problem, I think oil is leaking out between the gearbox lay shaft end bronze bush and the case. Is there a quick fix and if not, what needs to be done?

Regards, Tony.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #100 on: December 26, 2022, 11:11:56 pm
Got my engine case fixed. All the stud holes are 5/16 BSF and now I can use standard studs. Engineer made me a list of stuff to do after he'd checked over everything and working through that (new bearings, crank grind etc) in the new year.

Meanwhile, stripping the existing paint off the tinware.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #101 on: December 26, 2022, 11:12:33 pm
Getting there...
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: December 27, 2022, 01:27:15 pm
Stripping the old paint off that way is a lot of effort, at least there doesn't seem to be any major rust to deal with.

Good news about the crankcase repair, no reason to suspect that the rest of it won't end up equally as sound.

A.

Mark M

• Scooter
Reply #103 on: December 28, 2022, 08:30:55 am
Tony, stick with it! My Chief project is actually 2 bikes but the crank cases that came with the matching frame had the studs pulled out just like yours. The non-matching ones were perfect, isn't it always the way? I got mine repaired by the clever chaps at T & L near Bedford UK and it's about time I got on with the job. Just the matter of a Series 2 Interceptor to build first. Watch this space....
REgards, Mark

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #104 on: January 09, 2023, 11:05:38 am
G'day All, I'm just looking at the carburetor that's in the bits box for this bike. It's a Amal Monobloc 389/234. It's in pretty shabby condition. Anyone ever retro fit something else or should I overhaul what Ive got and see how it goes? Another enthusiast recommended a Premier replacement ???

Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!